1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is the only sim that I can play fully without any mods

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Jeff Scharpf, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Jeff Scharpf

Jeff Scharpf Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I know this is probably not popular but I love the fact that I can play this game without any mods. Every other sim I play I have to download this mod and apply this patch and add this setting etc., etc.
    I love the fact that out of the box I am playing a GT championship on real world tracks.
    I understand there are issues and most people prefer to add mods, but I feel good about the fact that the game as I own it, runs just fine for me without me having to add any files here or change any outside settings there.
    Everything I need is contained in the game.
    Am I weird?

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 4
  2. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

Not weird.

I respect the ability to mod a game especially after it no longer receives new features and enhancements. But it's nice to just be able to launch a game with relevant content. And I mean relevant to its own vision, not to all players. And then accept it as it is.

I have had great times with modded content in a certain other sim, but I would rather just have a nice package and accept that it won't include everything. As opposed to a barebones platform for mods without its own clear vision. Best of both worlds would be nice of course.

Although I have to say that custom liveries really elevated AMS2. The models aren't 1:1, but seeing actual F1 liveries from the past is so great. :cool: Thank you livery creators!

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Have you heard of ACC and raceroom? They dont have or need mods either.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

When the 1st mods popped up for AMS2 i got bashed by some kids here for not liking the idea. They didnt get my point that was by essence protecting a small studio like Reiza for losing potential DLC Sales

The only Sim I am modding is AC because it had so much to what is an old game and with CM its really user friendly but like you i like the fact you can jump in AMS2 and after 3clicks start a race like with PC2

Try to do that with joke RF2

• Like Like x 1
  5. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

When I get a quiet moment, starting from the desktop I'm going to see how far round the AMS2 Nordschleife I can get in the time it takes to load the same track in RF2 and be sitting on the start line.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Koen_Sch

Koen_Sch Active Member

I like the ability to mod, but I agree that it shouldn't be necessary.
    AC just didn't work for me for that exact reason. It just didn't feel like a proper game and it needed a lot of "work" to get it to a nice state.
    Not bashing AC, because when you put in the effort to get it where you want it to be it is probably really nice (considering how people talk about it), but I just don't have that time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Also the fact you can start your own online session without the same or more hassle. Router issues, ports etc, Rf2 still not 3-4 clicks. AMS2 pc1/2 jump in and go. Fantastic.
    AMS2 is in its infancy, early days in some ways click and go hard to beat and with its variety wins most hours from this end since bought in March.
    With much more to come:) Merc C9 and others are lurking somewhere!:):)
    Have fun

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  8. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

AC is too variable for my tastes, precisely because of all the mods involved. Sometimes CSP makes it look like the best game ever, other times it makes everything look washed out and horrible. Some cars drive great and have informative feedback, other cars are horrible with a floppy steering wheel and no feeling. Some mods are great, others are stolen trash. Sometimes the netcode works well, other times half the field disconnects on race start. I've spent 200+ hours fiddling with random mods on rFactor1, but mostly I am over that and would prefer something that just works.

That being said, I still wish there was more consistency in the AMS2 content. I especially wish we'd stop the constant fluctuations of grip levels and driving feel, where some cars alternate between being too grippy and impossible to spin to becoming oversteery shopping carts and back again in the next update.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jeff Scharpf

I also love AC, because (with mods) you can have many more cars and tracks (Road America lol)..I'm certainly not opposed to anyone who loves Mods.. My goodness, NR2003, for me was incredible once I modded the heck out of it.. but as previously stated, sometimes I just want to hop in to a game and run it. If something goes wrong, I know it is not some mod stack up that I may have caused, rather, most likely a real issue.
    I tried ACC, however, I can't drive with more than 2 cars on the track. With AMS2 I run a full field and high graphics. same computer..

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cheesenium

Cheesenium Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Agreed, other than the awful livery which can be replaced now.

11. Raven_ARG

Raven_ARG Member

I agree.

The lacking of mods is not a bad thing if the game is constantly being updated and adding more content. Plus, you have the security that the content in game is official, and you don't have to think about the poor quality of the mod or feedback from the creator. There is one team making all this.

The pick up and play in AMS2 is just great

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jeff Scharpf

I'm loving it more and more each day. I'm currently in the middle of the World GT championship. The battles with AI are incredible, lap after lap, just to gain a spot, AI battling AI.. even on street circuits where most simulator AI fall apart and become a wreck fest, in AMS2, they are elegant, push each other and me.. but give room when needed. I love the fact that other than the usual settings in the game, I don't have to do much and I am up and running a full championship in no time.
    I usually run the AI strength at 90% and the aggression at 100%. For me this is ok right now.. although I'm starting to win a few races, which means I may need to dial them up a bit. But my wins are not easy. I don't normally run the fastest laps, but in the endurance races, lap after lap after lap, I can sometimes run down several of the AI, wear them out.. they seem to have some type of psychology lol... who knows.. anyway.. I haven't had this much fun out of the box against AI in full races in a simulator since NR2003 and maybe GTR2. This has it all in one package.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1