1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setup Tutorial Series

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by steelreserv, Jan 9, 2021.

1. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi All,

Setups do not have to be that far out of reach. I've posted this on my channel's "thread" but I thought it might have more reach with a separate post here.

Part One is good for people that just want to default and go. Taking a few moments to setup up your tires and brakes for a particular track/track temp really can make a world of difference. Driveability wise. But first you have to know what to look for and how to change it. The "why", you will feel on track.

Part Two we dip our "toe" (haha) into mechanical grip and highlight what to look out for and what settings you can use to improve (or fix) the car's behavior.

Part three we unveil the mystery about differentials, but at the same time attempt to give you as a better driver how to sense the differential while cornering and adjust them with confidence.

Advanced Setups- We dive a bit deeper into all aspects of a proper setup and will try and pull it all together so you can start fine tuning.

Time Trial Tips feat. The Nemesis 69:
    Some basic tricks and tips to optimize the car for one lap performance.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 9
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

I’ve just watched and left you a comment on your channel. Great stuff and so glad to see this series get started.

Really looking forward to seeing the rest - just need to find my notepad and start scribbling furiously:)

Good luck with the channel, clear and well presented content like this should certainly help move it forward.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wilfred de Ruijter

Wilfred de Ruijter Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for the tutorial. Your setups do not always work for me. But with your tutorial I can adjust the setup to my driving style. I'm looking forward to the next parts,

4. steelreserv

Great. Out of curiosity, could you specify what isn’t working? They are meticulously put together to be right down the middle and there is a reason for every click. (And im not kidding about that). Obviously driver preference prevails, but thats much different than “not working”.

5. Romeo Foxtrot

Romeo Foxtrot Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Every driver has his own style. More smoothness with wheel and pedals means less camber is required. Camber and pressures are always first and last in the order of adjustments. Any setup needs personalising on this front. Just my two penn'orth.

• Like Like x 1
  6. steelreserv

You’re definitely right. I’m planning an “Epilogue” with advanced tips that will go a bit deeper than the basic framework Ill make sure to include this point.

7. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

You have filled a big gap in this community bud, respect.
    What I recommend is let’s create a thread and put cars dyno there like gear change rpm,speeds etc. we have made something similar in other commun long time ago and went great.
    Here is a sample
    5C524016-786E-4016-826E-BE6663145117.png
    the source is (there is a free version of the excel for generating this graph there) Best Gear Change RPM: Guide to Optimum Gear Shift Points in Racing

8. Wilfred de Ruijter

I think some setups don't work for me because I cannot rotate well while braking. For instance I am quick in a formula Trainer or Vee, but slow in a GT-car. I would say some setups don't work for me, because I don't have the confidence in the car, so my lap times are slower than in my setup I used before I copied your setup.
    I want to change the setup so I will have a car that suits my driving style. And the more I understand about the changes in the setup, the better result I get. So I am looking forward to your next part of your tutorial, this way I understand your reasons for every click.

9. steelreserv

Understood. Generally we’re looking to avoid unnecessary rotation because it adds slip/heat/wear. Perhaps you are trying to brake too late with GTs. The car will “plow” under heavy braking too late. Try a hard brake and a gradual release, you want to applying throttle at the apex.

10. steelreserv

But...if you want more rotation during braking, Increase the coast ramp angle, move the brake bias backwards and soften the front springs.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Wilfred de Ruijter

Thanks for the tips.

12. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

Doesn’t more angle on the coast make diff locked more and thus decrease ability to turn?

13. steelreserv

Its the same as power. Less angle = more "bite" = more locking. Adding clutch plates = more locking as well.

More angle (less "bite") will allow more (inside) wheel slip, which we feel as rotation as the outside tire is doing more of the work.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wilfred de Ruijter

Thanks for part two.
    @steelreserv: A question: You talk about 'Aero wash out' in your video. How do you notice this?

15. Chris89

Chris89 New Member

Just dropping in to say thank you and this is awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  16. steelreserv

You’ll be in traffic and the car will feel lighter on the front and/or the rear and be less responsive to turning and the back will want to step out slightly more than when you are by yourself on track. With low to lowish aero cars like GTs you’ll feel it particularly in high speed turning sections, with high aero cars you’ll feel it at lower speeds. With GT cars, theres just not enough air going under the car for the splitter and diffuser.

17. steelreserv

Updated for the last "Basic" guide. An "Advanced" guide and TT tips, are in the works.

• Like Like x 1
  18. JoshOz

JoshOz Member

Hi steelreserv,
    I have just finished watching part 1 and 2 of your setup series, with part 3 in my watch list. Really enjoyed them as they are helpful for someone like me who likes sim racing but doesn’t know much about the technical aspects or car setups. Quick question - have you or anyone you know been in contact with Reiza in regards to car setups in AMS2? I feel that some cars in AMS2 would definitely benefit from better default setups to make the driving experience more enjoyable.
    Thanks,
    JoshOz.

19. steelreserv

I know that ppl have raised the default setup “issue” and I recall from a thread at the Race Department, a Reiza rep mentioned it would be difficult due to the thousands of car/track combinations.

I am not in touch with Reiza about it and probably wouldn’t because I like the aspect of setup development and feel its part of what makes it a “sim”.

That being said, try using some of the techniques in the guides to make the cars more comfortable for you. This is generally enough for sprint racing. For 10+ lap and other long stint races, setups get more and more important.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Wilfred de Ruijter

I did and with the Porsche Cup 3.8 I was about 6 seconds a lap faster at Spa than the default setup.

@steelreserv: Thank you for the guide.

• Like Like x 1