1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camera too bumpy

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by WhippyWhip, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Suby56

Suby56 New Member

@Beccobunsen
    Did you compare a video of VR vs legacy with 0 head motion from your 1st video by any chance?

2. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

Well @Suby56 , enjoy.

WARNING.

I have discovered that the vr configuration is useless and bogus (in no hardware mode), the last configuration you leave before entering vr mode, affects the movement of the world, I discovered it after entering vr mode and I noticed a totally different behavior, to keep in mind for anyone who uses vr hardware.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Suby56

Suby56 New Member

Thanks for that. That is very interesting. (and a bit disappointing)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Elcid43

Elcid43 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Haven't played in a while (limited time) and realized after playing RF2 for a little while that I just can't take the car movement and have to shelve this game until something changes. I am not the most savvy when it comes to settings and the like but no matter what I do, the movement just isn't what I find enjoyable. Hopefully Reiza can "fix" the issue (at least for me) as otherwise this is a great game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

They can't really "fix" the issue when you don't give any details. Which car/track combo? Which camera settings? VR/single-screen/triple-screen? What is your FOV?

6. Elcid43

I only really use the Formula Classic Gen1/2/3 on any track. 49" super ultrawide, legacy head movement set at 0. Every other head/helmet movement is off.

7. azaris

Okay, well those are among the rather bouncy cars by construction. I would avoid legacy mode with head movement 0, that will fix the camera to the car and make the horizon move rapidly on bumpy tracks, which at least to me induces motion sickness.

Can you find a setting with legacy off that works for you?

8. Elcid43

For the heck of it I gave it another go and tried it all again. For me, legacy on with zero is the best but there is still too much movement for my taste. With legacy off, I find it completely unenjoyable with the chassis moving and rolling around at any level. I understand I am probably an outlier but, hopefully something can be done to reduce the bumpiness. Thanks :)

9. azaris

With legacy off and head movement 0, the chassis doesn't really move that much unless the track is really bumpy, as seen here:

To me this is about the same amount of bouncing as in ACC and R3E. If this kind of motion is unacceptable to you, I'm not sure there is anything Reiza are going to do that will "fix it" for you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

well my friends..
    I've been trying to explain it for a week ... it's a mixture of touch nothing, placebo, real bump, track mesh, fov, it's better ------- (introduce sim at will), car, category .., i'm too old for this, peripheral vision, intolerance to vibrations..
    I get off from the 3d, and play...
    Vi saluto!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  11. Elcid43

I just don't remember it being like this but I guess maybe it was. It has been a couple of updates since I last played it and maybe there were some incremental changes that add up to a bigger difference for me. I dunno, oh well

12. Suby56

Suby56 New Member

Well, you are showing an F1 track, which we all know are very smooth. I mean, I enjoy lapping Silverstone, but that is not really showing the issue.

I think a fair trial would be Brands Indy, for example. I can drive an P1 car around Brands in RaceRoom, and Rf2, and at GT3 in ACC with no problem. But, there is something different here. It is really bouncy. I just ran a couple laps in RRE (all good) and then AMS2 and all I can say is I could only last 1 lap in AMS2. ( using legacy off head movement 0 then legacy on and movement 90)

Maybe its not a problem, maybe it is the most realistic camera of all, but I have read enough complaints about it to realize it is unpleasant for many people. I am really, really not here to argue with anyone, but the issue is real, at least for me. I think I have Just about every rally sim since RBR, and just about every racing sim since GPL and this is the only one that affects me this way. Something is odd.

It seems there is no work around, I am afraid I am giving up on it for now.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. azaris

Brands Hatch Indy is a bumpy track. Nevertheless, comparing e.g. the AMG GT3 in both R3E and AMS2, it does not strike me that AMS2 is somehow extraordinarily bumby in comparison:

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

There is a big difference between the two. It is masked for people like us who use a more stable horizon, but for those who lock the camera to the car instead, the bumpiness difference will be dramatic and immediately noticeable.

Our eyes lock to the horizon or the distance when driving/racing and the cockpit becomes part of peripheral vision for the most part--except when checking a gauge or something. Despite that, some people still want the car position locked on the screen and the world bouncing around in a manner that humans don't normally perceive with their brains. It makes no sense to use this setting--except that some people find the "normal" view (as in the video) upsetting. Translating a digital experience to a real one is not so straightforward when fast motions are involved.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mkel1966

mkel1966 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I can relate to this, I can't even play first person shooting games because my eyes can't handle fast movements when looking for targets all over the screen.

Every time the dashboard goes up and down during elevation changes I feel like I'm riding the ferris wheel. This is how bad this is for me. Taking this movement away from the equation would really be great or an option for people who may want this. My solution for now is finding the least amount of that movement and cover the dashboard with my phone as my dash to trick my brain that it's not going up and down.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. azaris

The option to fix the camera to the dashboard exists, it's to turn legacy ON and set head movement to 0, but then the motion is transferred to the world around you, which isn't good either because now the apex and the other cars your eyes should be focused on keep bouncing all over the place. It really only works in something like the original Assetto Corsa, because the cars in that sim are hovercrafts gliding on a pool table.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Im using Legacy OFF and Head movement 99.
    This combination is the most acceptable (for me).
    But also most "realistic".

Im solely driving Reizas bouncing formula cars(F-Reiza/F-V10G1) - and I can still remember from my younger days how extremely bouncing it was in RL driving a Formula Ford 1600 car.
    I can garantee you that everything was bouncing (and rattling :eek:).
    But be aware that the movement of eyes and sight in RL allways are damped by the neck and upper bodys "resistance" to the bumps and bounce the chassis tries to relay to the head/sight.
    Therefore I consider the value 0 fixes the camera way way too strict to the car chassis.:cool:

Personally I consider that at least some of the people who are arguing against Reizas bouncing "compromise" as people who have been too accustomed to other sims very artificial and very smoothed out driver head movement.;)

ByTheWay: Beside of people being too accustomed to too artificial smoothing then I feel sorry for the extreme victims for this bouncing issue.
    We should also be aware that sitting at ones home office desk with a plastic wheel in front is further a VERY artificial situation for your brain and body :D

Camera.jpg

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. marusu

marusu New Member

It is an interesting discussion, and I think very important, because some kind of bumpiness is very noticeable in AMS2. There might be many reasons for that (e.g. how suspension works, and vertical momentum affects the car), but I personally think that this should be addressed by Reiza, to make driving as real/pleasant as possible (or best compromise between).

One thing I would like to point out is that head movement setting might be technically correct (choosing between fixing camera to car, horizon or somewhere between) but it lacks very important aspect that is human perception while driving the car.

Our eyes "automatically" smooths bumpiness by somehow locking on horizon (and this is simulated by head movement parameter), but also it smooths dashboard movement (which is also in peripheral vision while driving and out of focus) so driver barely notice it. Car might be bouncing up and down, but driver notices that more by body movement than with his vision. That is not a case in simulation, where dashboard is clearly visible, and not far enough to be considered peripheral. Result is that despite correct simulation of a camera, simulated driving feels/looks much more bumpy than real driving.

I would suggest developers to think about artificially smoothing dashboard movement (in that case visible dashboard would not be in the same place, as it should be, but shifted to smooth the experience), while still keeping camera mostly locked to horizon. That might be considered as not simulating car/camera combination correctly, but in reality it would be better simulation of car/driver combination instead.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Im not fanatically against such artificially smooothing something out that resembles reality pretty good - as long as this smothing out isnt imposed to all us who enjoy this more "hard core" mode.;)

ByTheWay: One of the urgent reasons I prefer AMS2 to all the other racing games I had/has (iRacing, rF2, Raceroom, ACC (and pCars2) is exactly because of this pretty realistic(IMO) unsmothered eyesight correlation to car and track.;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

Exatly the same here. I had troubles when I was new to AMS2. But after some time it feels so good when car reacts to the road. You can't have it anywhere else with the same intensity. Many games has it very similar but it's clear AMS2 is the leader with it. So cool "effect".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1