1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Karl Rawstrone

Karl Rawstrone New Member

I am using CSL Elite+(PS4)
    In-game settings FFB 70, LFB 6, FX 50, Damp 50
    With this tweaked Heavy Messing - Detailed base but with some aspects dialed back a bit, including scrub (a little reduced) and engine reduced. I've been testing it with F3 at Brands Hatch GP. It's still quite a violent experience (especially coming out of Clark) but the connection between the car and the road is far better than the AMS2 default, where the wheel-track 'wobble' didn't seem to 'sit' on anything - sort of like being buffeted by the wind rather than experiencing track bumps. With these settings it makes more sensory sense - fits together better. I'd still like to be able to dial down the track bumps a little more - not all the way to R3E levels of smooth - and not lose the sense of what the tyres and back end are doing. Also, interestingly, I did a change that accidentally smoothed everything almost all the way out and the world movement/vibration not matching what I was feeling was very disconcerting - I race on RiftS. If anyone wants to try my setup I use 65% world movement.

I'm going to have a go with SR44 and 43 tonight.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Panos Schoino

Panos Schoino New Member

Kuku, as Karsten said, with 1.55 at master rack, high df cars (formulas mainly) were becoming impossible at high speed cornering and also there was even some occasional clipping even with low gain values. Now we were testing with the SC2 pro which is a beast... So, 1.55 is out of the question for this file, but i was ok at 1.30 (still on the stronger side). Maybe you can try that and see if it suit you. I.r.o the drifting, somehow you are correct, the idea was to be able to control slides. If you prefer a more absolute feeling in oversteer you may try putting 0 in rear_grip_loss_feel instead of 0.1.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dam

Dam New Member

Thank you soooo much Karsten and all your team who helps you tweaking ffb files.
    I have a TS Pc racer, I play on PC, I've spent hundreds of hours driving on AC, ACC, PC2, RRRE etc... And AMS2 since early access.
    I have to admit that your silver raw files are awesome!
    Few months ago, after testing your files for the first time I preferred the NuScorpii ones. But after a lots of reading here, I ve decided to test again and to increase LFB: magic! Without LFB I found my wheel too lazy in the center with your file and it was not the case with NuScorpii one.
    But now it's so great! So thank you again because you are giving AMS2 a magical taste and you are very productive to give us updates.

Sorry for my bad english
    Cheers
    Dam (a French simmer)

Ps: with my ts-pc racer I use the "mid end" file. Am I right?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Dam, Thank you for the nice words,

Yes, the LFB is "special" in this file, so it can throw people off, simply for it being different & having to be set higher.
    I'm considering making it a difference between the low/mid/high end version, that the LFB simply is starting higher the lower we go in the files...

Reg. mid file, it's a matter of which feel best to you. But I think mid is prob. a good fit, yes.

Best,-K

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I start the tests with the file *.44 LOW ... at first glance I exclaimed "damn everything has changed again !!!":p , I had only loaded the new file without optimizing it and/or changed any value yet ... I close the game, go to the file and then notice, among other things, that now the master_rack entry is reduced to 1.25, the master_effect has remained at 1.55 and I pay attention to the new velocity_scale entry which is set to 0.7.
    If I have not misunderstood the hardness of the steering wheel increases exponentially as always, both with increasing speed and downforce, only now the increase in hardness and therefore the exponent itself is <1 (i.e. 0.7) no longer =/> of 1 !!! ... I hope I haven't said too much bull**** :rolleyes:... the increase in downforce and therefore in hardness should become minor and more manageable!!!

Therefore:
    - cars with high downforce such as the F1-2-3-reiza-f309-etc are helped by a lower master_rack and by a strength (hardness of the steering wheel) that increases yes but not as before, therefore with an increase in proportion lower and more manageable;
    - similar thing should also happen on very swaying cars such as Catheran, Vintage and F.Retro cars which are more subject to pendulum effect, in this case, a lower master_rack is equivalent to having a lower GAIN and this allows less oscillations that together with high LFBs (here too much has changed) should allow greater maneuverability and management of previously unmanageable counter-steering;
    - on the other hand, very stable and/or rigid cars like the GT3-2-1-StockCar-P1-2-3 have only become lighter than before.

Having said that, to balance the sensations of this new file, I only slightly increased the GAIN and modified some values that I felt less inside the file thath you find attached ... ;)
    Then summarizing on my G920 I step from a 45-80-75-0 of version *.43LOW to 50-80-75-0 in version *.44 LOW ... sorry for my english ... :oops:

I am curious about the possible future evolutions of this file *.44 ... thanks guys you are unique!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, no pendulum or tank-slap at all in .44 (thank goodness for that)
    Lateral and Longitudinal rack effects feel very natural, and the overall compression, or feel of compression (however that's actually accomplished) is great.
    Great work Karsten !

• Like Like x 3
  7. GTR886

GTR886 New Member

Karsten, with .43 & .44, The high speed dampening is too much for me. for a track like bathrust, it slows me down due to crazy heavy fight of the wheel. The effect feels cool but it's a bit much and I'm someone who generally like a heavy wheel.

Where do I change the value within the file to decrease it at least 50% of that effect?

Edit: This Feels the best without the crazy heavy steering when cornering.
    Gain:30 LFB:1 FX:50 Damping:50

(balance_restrict_high_end 0)
    (exaggerate_front_load_feel 0.3)
    (exaggerate_front_load_feel_hi_df 0.3)
    (exaggerate_over_steer 0.0)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  8. Karsten Hvidberg

Haha, yes, things change between the versions & it does seem a little much at times, but I think it's required to hit on both sides of the target to know where it is :)
    The velocity_scale is a straight up scale so in itself it does not make the force rise more or exponentially. But you are right that when combined with downforce it becomes exponential, although only slightly so, since we limit the high df, and then only for downforce vehicles.

I do feel we set the velocity_scale pretty high, so the current v45 has it lowered. We'll see where it ends. Also v45 is the first file that benefits from input from the good Reiza people @Renato Simioni & @Domagoj Lovric , so it's interesting & def. improved in some ways :)
    Hopefully will be posted later today or tomorrow, depending on time availability.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 10
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey GTR,

I agree we've set the velocity_scale pretty high. As just posted I expect it will be lowered for v45. It is not damping, btw, it is an actual calculated force.
    You use quite low LFB, Remember that to limit the cornering force and add fullness to the center at the same time you can raise the LFB & lower then gain. Do it in steps of maybe ~5. Maybe you already did that, just noticed LFB at 0.

Best,

-K

10. GTR886

GTR886 New Member

For DD wheel, do we really need LFB? the LFB feels a bit grainy with the fanatec wheels.

11. Karsten Hvidberg

Yes, the LFB is great to use, since when used together with gain, you can control how much center fullness & how much max cornering force you want.
    It should not make it any more grainy when you lower the gain at the same time or vice versa.
    A GT3 car you might want to not have too much force while cornering, so increase the LFB & lower the gain. A Caterham you might want to have more cornering force, since it's non-power steering, so you lower the LFB and increase the gain.
    I hope this makes sense?

• Like Like x 2
  12. daguru

daguru Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi guys any recommendations and download links for custom profiles ?
    not tried any in a long while would like to see if they improve the feeling at all.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. LugNut

LugNut Active Member

Hi,

You might want. to try .43 MID file with in game settings of around 30/70/70 and increase the rear grip loss value of around 0.7. I have a lesser logitec wheel than you and all cars feel real good.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Stakanov

And this is just the beginning of your collaboration with Reiza ;)... I feel, contrary to the future version of the .45 file, that we have set the velocity_scale of this game even higher! :cool:
    Thanks guys
    :hurrayreiza:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Stakanov

I used the .43 MID file (although almost always in the last series I use the LOW) with game settings slightly different to yours and around 40-50/80/75, moreover, the rear grip loss value usually is septum almost always between 0.5 and 1.0 .... you're right the file feels very good and even your values seem to me consistent with your Logitec wheel which is slightly lower, as I think you like it very light, full in the center and with sufficient effects ... to me also just a little more decisive ... then the sensations are subjective no one is right, at most consistent!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Pieter Nienhuis

Pieter Nienhuis Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Page 1

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

I have a few hours with v.44 now, and it feels great. I can really feel what my tires are doing, and none of the effects are overdone in my opinion. So I am very curious about what you have done to possibly make it even better :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The easiest way to see what's changed from a new FFB file release, compared to your current FFB file that you're using, is to use the App called Notepad++, with the "Compare" plug-in installed.
    Load the two files up, and see them side by side with highlights of what's different between the two. This will really save you a lot of time, and possibly some non-intentional mistakes.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Useful Useful x 3
  19. GTR886

GTR886 New Member

You are a life saver!

20. 3StringCigar

3StringCigar New Member

Damn! I have owned that editor forever and never knew I could do that.