1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharing of Set-Ups?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by newbert, May 11, 2020.

1. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Thats easy for you to say since you are the one spreading misinformation. Increasing rear stiffness does not reduce overall grip. Thats a fact.

I didnt say your method doesnt work, its just based on a flawed premise. If it works for you great.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

Well, I’m certainly perplexed now.o_O

Thankfully most of the cars are perfectly fine to jump in and enjoy. In the meantime I’ll sign up for a night class in mechanical engineering and see if I can get my head around all of this;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. steelreserv

No degree required. You’re already starting to recognize characteristics in that car which is vital. But for better track times, if your car is doing something you don’t like in an area where you think you could be faster, your setups can help.

This guys premise is false and he’s misleading you.
    1. Reducing grip is bad
    2. Increasing rear stiffness reduces rear grip.
    3. Therefore increasing rear stiffness is bad.

This is logically flawed and false. Increasing rear stiffness, reduces rear grip, but increases front grip. The term for the subject is lateral and longitudinal weight transfer. Tons of info on the subject. Watch out it all could be fake though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  5. BrunoB

Is it worth using time to explain the rather simple fact that cars in racing games dont actually have wheels and weight like RL cars have?:p
    Hehe probably not. :rolleyes:

But instead of wheels and weight virtual cars only display the outcome of some more or less simple algoritms.:whistle:
    Algoritms that because they are unable to simulate as example RLs complicated weight transfer under braking instead just does reduce the virtual rear grip when braking starts and then with some calculated delay does raise the virtual front grip.
    The amount of delay is what gives the feeling of the weight of the virtual car.:cool:
    The delay is short on as example formula cars and huge on trucks.

The complete difference between RL physical world and the sim(plified) virtual world is what makes it impossible (and rather naive :rolleyes:) to conclude too much from RL physics to the sim(plified) artificial merging of algoritm outcome that is displayed on the computer screen.
    But eventhough this should be rather obvious then a lot of people does park their common sense and blindly use examples from RL as "arguments" of what will happen in the sim(plified) virtual "life". :rolleyes:
    The most entertaining of these does claim that the outcome of this mental short circuit is some kind of "fact".

ByTheWay: A lot of people misunderstand the word sim(ulation) to mean some kind of fullblown copy in the virtual world of something in the RL world. Because they mentally short cuit from the complicated things in RL physics to the much more mundane and simple things that can be brought to "happen" in the sim(plification) of racing games. This is often pretty entertaining - but not often pretty locical convincing.:p

6. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Member

That's what I thought as well. Is this the case? Can anyone confirm this please?
    Cheers
    Robin

7. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

yes. setup will not be uploaded, when your current setup when ending TT is default.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Marnus Zwarts

Marnus Zwarts Boost Creep AMS2 Club Member

Yeah yeah I know this post is 3 months old but nonetheless:
    From @steelreserv 's YouTube channel the diffs are actually very easy to understand.
    • corner entry - coast
      • oversteer - lock the coast a bit (lower angle)
      • understeer - open the coast diff a bit (higher angle)
    • corner exit (acceleration) - power
      • oversteer - lock the power diff a bit
      • understeer - open the power diff a bit
    Check out his videos, they are very informative. As for the drivetrain watch this one specifically:

Yes I'm shamelessly promoting his channel ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

There’s no need, shameless or otherwise, I’ve been avidly following every one....and yes, it’s helped immensely. I’m still very much paddling in the shallow end of the pool but I can get a good, stable and eminently drivable setup for every car now. Which is great because now I know the vast majority of the time I need to make up will have to come from my skill and knowledge....so lots still to do.

I keep meaning to challenge Steel to do a setup for every car at each track of the GT Champ....but that would be too big an ask:)

10. steelreserv

That's the plan! It'll take me over year at 1 setup per week, but...but yeah

• Like Like x 2
  11. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

Good things are worth waiting for. I take my hat off to you, quite an undertaking but there’s plenty of us who’ll be watching every vid.

Cheers

12. steelreserv

Awesome!

That being said, a lot of setups including mine that are downloadable from the leaderboards are pre- 1.1.0.4 and understeery...
    So I am evaluating all of my builds right now (GT3s @ BH, Hock, Spielberg in particular) and updates are on the way. Minor adjustments really, but enough to warrant an update video.

13. Dale Ballweg

Dale Ballweg Member

Yes, but getting back to the ability to share setups is an issue for me. You look at other platforms and it is so easy to help someone out or be helped out and that will increase the popularity of the sim so much more. If drivers are not fighting the cars and are able to attack the track it creates better racing and more interest in the game. The system in place with AMS 2 is overly complicated and in the long run that is and will hurt the popularity of the game and this game has so much potential. I do hope this is on their agenda of things to work on.

• Like Like x 1
  14. cpcdem

cpcdem Active Member AMS2 Club Member

IMO the default setups should be good enough so that people can race them, instead of needing to adjust the setups to make the cars manageable. Setups are meant to do the extra bit to give a little bit more time, make a car behave closer to one's driving style, or make the car manageable in not so normal conditions, but it should not be necessary to do setup work, just in order to drive the cars. And I think that's what the devs are trying to do, make all the cars good enough by default, it's just that it takes time to make them all work correctly.

But having said that, it's literally 3 mouse clicks needed to get someone's setup from time trial. It would had been more helpful (and more exploitable...) if setups were shareable also as plain files, but is it really that complicated doing it from in game?

15. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

ist easy to write a reader/writer for simple .ini / .xml files.
    But its a hell of work to correct wrong entries, syntax errors and allowed values for manualy edited files as long as the whole database for over 100 cars is constantly changing.
    But i think REIZA could nail that sometimes later :)

16. Erella Singh

Erella Singh New Member

I tend to agree here, that there should, or rather, I would like there to be, a list of basic set-ups, but along with those, a quick explanation of what was changed from the default and why. It's all well and good to say that one should take the time to learn how to do the setups, but I for one don't have the time nor the patience to try every little tweak and then test it on the track to see how it worked. A quick note on why the springs are stiffened, or what happens if you don't adjust the anti roll bars, etc... would help a lot. Really all I want to do is race, not spend all my time trying to get the car to a point that I can drive it fast. I don't mind a bit of work, but the last time I attempted to adjust the setup to what I like, took me the better part of a day, and I was not interested in it anymore. A simple "if you do this, then that will happen" would be great. Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I hate sharing of setups. in iRacing there's lots of cheating going on by people who subscribe or buy setups from certain 'tuners', so they have the upperhand because they have the optimal setup for said car and track. Only what they have to do is drive.

The reason why Crimson, Nemesis, Ramsayg, Marc, Renato, Heitor, etc etc are so good is because they know how to tune.

It's one of the things you gotta learn. It's the learningcurve and the reward when you discovered something amazing, like 2 clicks of camber and suddenly a car behaves like a real champion on a certain track, etc etc.

18. Erella Singh

Erella Singh New Member

Yeah, like I said. I don't have the time nor the patience to try every little tweak and then test it on the track. If I wanted to learn how to set up a car, I would have bought auto mechanic simulator

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. BrunoB

I take your first part as you are saying its rather laughable to moan because you sometimes need to click 3x with your mouse to change a TT setup from someone else to fit yourself.
    And if I interpret you right then I agree with that.;)

I also agree with your 2nd part that the setup file system in AMS2 is overly complicated - because you cannot share the exact setup files with others outside the game.
    Just like you can with ALL other racing games.:mad:

ByTheWay: The setup file system in the Madness engine (and AMS2) is completely messed up if you ask me. Because the setups are not individual files but more a connected row linking ALL setups for each cars on ALL tracks. :rolleyes:
    But this awkward system is so integrated a part of this Mad engine that it will probably never be changed.:(

20. BrunoB

Good point.:)

Comming from iRacing where it was/is easy to share setups I dont think I have ever seen any of the faster guys unable to or uninterested in making the few adjustments to get a setup to fit them.
    It was allways the slower or more casual drivers who asked gimme gimme a setup - please.
    Because I dont have the time to mess with this.

ByTheWay: Hehe it was also this special group of drivers who mandatory 2 minutes before a official race started asked: Anybody have a setup?
    And then a few seconds later asked: How many liters fuel for this race?:p