1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has AMS2 spoiled other sims for me?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by BrunoB, Jan 25, 2021.

1. cpcdem

cpcdem Active Member AMS2 Club Member

1-4 are very common in PCARS2 also. They have not hurt as badly in AMS2 so far (well, not worse than in what has been the case in PCARS2), but I understand that this is a hit an dmiss thing, sometimes affects you and sometimes you have a good streak..

5-6 never had it with AMS2, but I have read that a lot of people had it, I admit I would be very disappointed if it did happen to me or to other people in our races.

One extra thing we've had in almost every race, is a starting lights sync issue, some of us get the green lights slightly later than others. I am personally in the short stick for this one, as in almost in all races I got this issue and of course it is far from ideal. But all things considered, I still find racing in AMS2 right now way better and more satisfying in general than it has ever been in PCARS2. But as I said, I realize that other people may have different experiences.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

Yeah for me AMS2 is good, but Raceroom for me driving wise is years in front of any other Sim, it just does everything right.
    Might lack graphics wise, time of day, wet weather lol, but who cares really when it drives like it does.
    Funny because until the latest update in raceroom I hated it, but now wow.
    Plus the ranked multiplayer is great.
    AMS2 for me is next best, not really interested in AC/ACC just feels off/fake.
    Might feel good with certain mods.
    RF2 ok but the game is a mess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

This really shows how ones personal preferences can be COMPLETELY different.
    Hehe because I started this thread because I became COMPLETELY dissapointed returning to Raceroom after about 1 year in AMS2.

ByTheWay: For me the Raceroom physics in at least the 3x F90´s make me not wanting to return to this game again. Hehe - maybe because I can use AMS2 instead.
    But to each its own - OK? ;)

4. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have grown very tired of raceroom and have barely touched it in the last 12 months. The lack of graphic variety by way of time of day, weather, rain etc the other big thing for me is the absolute lack of road feel, it is just completely lifeless. I can't run without my shakers anymore and when I run raceroom it is like that are not even turned on.

5. BrunoB

@F1Aussie Be aware Im not in opposition just to be it - but the reason I got up into the red (hehe somewhat :p) because of what I consider Racerooms new "hovercraft physics" - is because I really like Racerooms graphics. And have allways liked.
    Im not missing any of the rain and day-to-night bells&whistles - because I never use them;)

ByTheWay: I guess that I consider Racerooms look as rather "realistic". Which means not as cartonic as some other racing games.

6. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

RaceRoom has never been particularly good at open-wheelers. The FR90 suffers from very peaky tyres compared to AMS2, whereas the FClassic tyres allow much more give and take. Then again many of their tin tops are more refined than their comparable AMS2 counterparts. I must say I still prefer the GT3 cars of R3E.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

Yeah to be fair I don't drive open wheelers at all really, apart from AMS2 if I fancy a change.
    But Raceroom this months update/tyre model and physics feels perfect to me.
    GT3,GT4,Touring cars, basically any tin top, even the older DTM, Touring cars E30 etc.
    I haven't played for about 12 months as I hated it back then, but feels great now.
    But suppose it's just down to what each person likes really.
    Definitely strange jumping from sim to sim though, very different feeling in everyone.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. DaveC187

DaveC187 Member

I keep going back and forth between raceroom and ams2. I love raceroom AI and the ability to setup custom championships, but I still prefer AMS2 driving. When AMS2 has custom championships, I will have a hard time going back to raceroom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

After solely playing AMS2 I've started the original AC (originally praised for solid FFB) and while with Shaders Patch and SOL it's easy on the eye, I've found the whole experience bland and tasteless compared to AMS2.

I'm not a professional driver but get the feeling what feels realistic and what doesn't and there's so much more going on. The only area AC excels is braking feeling (I can tell when it's about to break and it feels better on the wheel too) and obviously tons of content (even very niche). But it's AMS2 that constantly keeps bringing a smile to my face and given the long term development plans - it'll get even better!

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Sergio Rafael Lemke

Sergio Rafael Lemke New Member

I think it has spoiled ACC to me. I have like 1300hrs in ACC, massive fun there, hands down! So I can mostly only compare to it at this moment:

- I feel the AMS2 engine is more evolved, weather changes feels more natural and probably better implemented as machine wise it has no big load impact and the visual impact is superb
    - sound quality of cars did catch up, if not better.
    - Both have very poor multiplayer/ranking system (well ams2 has none) but ACC one is one single number that actually is all about your career (CP points), as SA(safety) you can just keep at max with effort 0. - But in AMS2 I have the hope they may implement something, like raceroom and rfactor did recently.
    - I prefer AMS2 feedback, you get not only what the tires are doing, you get tires roll, weight, suspension, grip, all of it very balanced (I do use default AMS2 FFB)
    - The tracks are amazing, Brazilian tracks seem not to be spoiled by FIA 'oh they are to fast' rules, you have all the main tracks, plus some historic variants, and damn, that outdoors with early 90's companies names is amazing
    - stock car is amazing
    - trucks are amazing, ppl just need to discover them - heck, why no one came up with running trucks on cart tracks yer? - The amount of combinations you can do in AMS is also amazing.

What I dislike:
    - Many textures are 1080, even the default 'automobilista' logo looks bad on something > 1080
    - the interface overall, that comic sans font, graphical, gameplay, performance menus are a mess, I think I have like 300hours on it now but still cannot find where I should enable/disable mirror right away, then the mouse keeps focusing...
    - there is no multiplayer, the one that exists works for organized racing, but a random person joining an session will regret it, as there is no filtering of clean/dirty.
    - ghosting, that doesn't exist on a track.
    - drones (not much, but meh, they are foobar)

But I also know it's under development, damn I would love to have access to the src code and send some patches out! For us, we wait, have fun with what we have.. and its a damn lot of fun!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. gdubmx

gdubmx Member AMS2 Club Member

I have to add to this, after a 10 lap race on ibarra with the ultima gt I have had so much fun. Immediately playing ac straight after it was apparent that ams2 felt far far superior. What amazes me about ams2 is how you can have the best feeling ever with 1 car or the worst feeling or lack of feeling with another. Once those inconsistencies get ironed out I think this will be my favourite sim

• Like Like x 1
  12. lurkusmaximus

lurkusmaximus New Member

I love the M1 and GT5s in ams2. That said I am also quite fond of the new Sciroco and WTCs in general in Raceroom. Raceroom's audio is excellent, and ams2 graphics, weather, and force feedback are well done (in most but not all cars). I say, the more sims available to us, the more we can enjoy the best of them all.

13. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

I love both AMS2 and Raceroom. I find driving in both very immersive and I have a feel for exactly what the car is doing. They both have a great variety of tracks--they have some of the same "standard" ones, but have their unique focuses as well with Raceroom having a good number of US tracks and lesser-known European ones, and AMS2 with the South American tracks. Those more unique tracks in both sims are a lot of fun.

ACC--I've never been able to get a feel for the cars--I feel like I figure out I'm in a side about 3 seconds after it actually started.

14. BrunoB

Being rather frustrated with the Brabham BT46 Fan car on the TT LB on Brasilia Outher I abanded AMS2 and started Raceroom up again in (likewise) LB mode.
    Took Racerooms 3x F-90 out on the one way LakeView track and quickly positioned me reasonably :D on the list.
    And then I did the same with Racerooms top Formula car (X17) on both Lakeview and the 2x longest versions of Watkins Glenn.
    This is not for bragging but to show that I know how to handle and set up the Raceroom formula cars.
    ByTheEtc: WG is an extremely nice track - thank you Raceroom :whistle:

Man oh man how I quickly longed back to the "direct" or "instant" car behaviour in AMS2.
    Eventhough the 3x F90 and F-X17 in Raceroom intended to replicate top of the formula racing world from 1990 and (I guess) about 2000-2010 - then the reaction of the cars was both sluggish and smoothed out floating.:(
    It felt like there was a constant delay from my input (thr/br & wheel turning) until I could see the cars in the game reacted.:mad:

So now I will get back and re-try to fall in love with the irritating fan thing in AMS2.:rolleyes:

ByTheWay: If I still isnt able to fall in love with this "thing" then I can allways go back to my mandatory formula car fiance - the F-Reiza.:p

15. Raceracerace

Raceracerace Active Member

did you try adjusting the ffb weight forward a notch or two? I found this helped if you use ffb to judging the weight of the car and the connection to the front tyres especially.

I always turn down slip and any other synthetic value to almost zero or zero. Some tyre slip is needed but not much.

I agree that AMS2 is more immediate and can be a lot of fun. race room is great too and probably is more polished overall obviously but less difficult to reach a high standard of race.

i mean this = race room and others allows fidelity 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 12

AMS2 seems to allow 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5 etc... I think there is just more to AMS2 and its far wider in what it simulates.

16. BrunoB

Good way to describe that AMS2 in some (urgent) ways has more "depth".
    One of the reasons I (again) compared to Raceroom is because I consider a lot of things (menus, stats and the setup save/load system) as almost perfect in Raceroom - while I after being infected by AMS2 cannot feel much of my former positive feeling about Racerooms TM and physics.:(
    But at the same time Im allmost ashamed :whistle: to myself because I have to accept specially the missing stats and a serious setup file system in AMS2.:rolleyes:

ByTheWay: Considering your advice about adjusting my FFB - then its a bit difficult for me doing this.
    Mainly because of my HW.