AMS1 working in VR

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by mr_belowski, Nov 29, 2020.

1. keith windsor

keith windsor Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hmm, if it was me, before resorting to a complete reinstall, next I would try deleting the documents folder (again), plus ALL the individual files in the AMS root directory, i.e. AMS config, AMS.exe, D3D9.dll and all the rest (but NOT all the folders and their contents - leave them where they are to save downloading them all again). THEN do the integrity check again to replace all those deleted files, and hope that gets it running.

2. Jyri Kettunen

Jyri Kettunen Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I seem to have the same problem. Frustrating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jyri Kettunen

I think I have solved it! The trick is not to start SteamVR before launching the game. I have started the game now 5 times in a row with success. This may work for other WMR-sets as well (I have Reverb G2).

Ran SuperV8s at Brands. It was sweet!

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. M.Guenette

M.Guenette Member AMS2 Club Member

Anyone having issues with AMS freezing / locking up after a full race distance (15+Laps) ?

5. Eduardo

Eduardo New Member AMS2 Club Member

Not really, I have done long races (40min) and I didn't have any problem. It working well for me.

6. Jyri Kettunen

A further note: downgrading SteamVR to a regular version from the beta has solved all the VR problems for me. Now it doesn't matter if I start the game with SteamVR already on or not.

The only remaining problem is bouncy horizon in some bouncy cars. RealHeadMotion-plugin for rFactor1 seems to have disappeared from the interwebs. If some kind sould would zip and attach it into this thread it would be highly appreciated. Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bjarne Hansen

Bjarne Hansen Member AMS2 Club Member

Made a couple of 30 laps races with FVee on 3 different tracks this week without any issues.

8. Bjarne Hansen

Bjarne Hansen Member AMS2 Club Member

RealHeadMotion. No instruction included, not sure if there are anything apart from the webpage.
    Also very old one and never might be better?
    RealHeadMotion.zip

Do not use it is AMS1 but tried it and it looks to work.
    Found the cockpits to bounce too much but sure that can get dialed down
    On the other hand it works great for Gtr2 VT adding the brake /Acc and gear shift effects.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jyri Kettunen

Cheers mate!

10. keith windsor

keith windsor Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Does the real head motion plugin work in vr, have you had chance to try it yet? I've been driving formula classics with no trouble, but I do notice the horizon motion in one of two other cars, but I just assumed the plugin wouldn't work in VR so didn't bother trying it.

11. Jyri Kettunen

It does, but needs tweaking. I have edited out any head movement due to G-forces, and there are other tweaks to be made. Cascavel with Brazilian Stock Cars is a good testing ground (bouncy as hell).

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tambe

Tambe Member

[QUOTE = "Jyri Kettunen, publicación: 118481, miembro: 274"] Una nota adicional: rebajar SteamVR a una versión normal de la beta me ha resuelto todos los problemas de realidad virtual. Ahora no importa si comienzo el juego con SteamVR activado o no.

El único problema que queda es el horizonte hinchable en algunos coches hinchables. El complemento RealHeadMotion para rFactor1 parece haber desaparecido de las redes. Si algún tipo pudiera cerrarlo y adjuntarlo a este hilo, sería muy apreciado. ¡Salud! [/ QUOTE]

Well what luck! In my group it doesn't work for anyone, the same thing happens to all of us, and we don't use betas. You click on ESC and the game freezes, you have to close it with the task manager.

13. Salvatore Sirignano

Salvatore Sirignano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Tambe, habeis desactivo la opcion éxit confirmation menu´ dentro del juego, ¿verdad?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Salvatore Sirignano

Salvatore Sirignano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Tambe, habeis desactivado la opción 'exit confirmation menu' dentro del juego, ¿verdad?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Javier Pro

Javier Pro New Member

Any possibility to implement it for the other cameras? It would be ideal for radio controlled car mods. Thanks in advance!

16. Tambe

Tambe Member

Sí, siempre lo he tenido así, sin pedir confirmación.
    En mi grupo SimRacing, todos somos iguales, lo mismo nos falla.
    Estamos esperando una solución, hacer un campeonato, pero sin eso la gente tiene ese sim guardado en la buhardilla.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Frank Alexandre

Frank Alexandre Member AMS2 Club Member

Anyone with a Quest2 can have a good performance?....i have Quest2 resolution at 1.0 and 72hz and i get 72 fps, but the image is very ugly...but the GPU usage is still 35%....if i up the resolution to 1.5 the image is better but the fps is down to 36....but the GPU usage is still 30/40%.....cant found a way to fully utilize the GPU it seens....asw is off btw. GPU is a 3080 with a I7 8700k@4.8

18. Frank Alexandre

Frank Alexandre Member AMS2 Club Member

Managed to get a good performance now at 90 fps....but GPU usage still only 60% and if try any higher resolution the fps drop a lot without increasing gpu usage. But it is enjoyable now. Does anyone have any recomendation for mods with driver arms in cockpit? I have found some original cars have it, like the Brazilian Stock cars, but others dont, like karts and Trucks. I think it is really needed for a VR experience.

19. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member

regarding GPU usage and image quality, it might help to understand a bit of how this mod works under the hood.

For each frame the mod moves the camera, tells the game to render a frame, copies the rendered frame to a Dx11 surface, then repeats the process for the other eye. The 2 surfaces are then given to the VR compositor to be shown in the HMD. Rendering the 2 frames is where most of the work is but it's certainly not all the work - copying the rendered frame to a surface twice per update is also significant overhead. The size of this rendered image (which is set by the render target size) impacts this overhead. If you're seeing poor performance but relatively low GPU use, try using lower steam VR supersampling level but increase the in-game anti aliasing (from the game's config app) to compensate. This will make the GPU do more work in the initial render phase without increasing the time taken to copy the frames to the surfaces

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  20. M.Guenette

M.Guenette Member AMS2 Club Member

It's for this reason I ditched my Quest 2 and purchased the HP Reverb G2. The G2 has stunning picture quality and runs a full grid of cars (20-24) at 90hz / 90Fps. There is such an improvement in clarity that it make's my Quest 2 look terrible and believe me I tried every tweak available with both the Oculus Debug Tool and Oculus Tray Tool. There is simply to much compression/decompression going on with the Oculus Link Cable. Something the Quest 2 must do cause of it's stand alone wireless feature. There is no going back after witnessing the awesome display of the HP Reverb G2.

Window 10 64bit
    Intel I7 9700K @4.9ghz
    16GB DDR4 3400mhz
    RTX 3080

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021