1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Donato

Donato Member

this

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

And so ... let's start from the fact that after the last update 4 times I had to delete the AMS2 folder in documents and reconfigure the whole steering wheel (with default reset, calibration and reprogramming) ... let's forget that 3 times the automatic clutch did not work and the car started from a standstill as if I were a 90 year old man with the clutch pedal half pressed :mad: ... having said that, finally the fourth time I set the manual clutch and, incredible but true, everything unlocks and seems to come back normality (I'm afraid to put the automatic clutch back so I don't use it) ... so I try again to test the files:
    - *.31 Good, very rough, but few shades and not very elastic, perhaps it is the most immediate in the sensations but it is also the least nuanced;
    - *.43 Excellent, perhaps the best in center and cornering, but obviously does not scale with increasing speed and downforce like the 44 or better the 45 ... therefore some cars need obvious adjustment of the values;
    - *.44 Almost identical to *.43, almost excellent center, excellent cornering but it is also more elastic and adapts better to different types of cars, especially those with high downforce ... for the moment it remains the favorite for me .
    - *.45 As already written previously, it could be the turning point, but for the moment I do not find it coherent, it is vague in the center and especially at low speeds, it is irregular as it grows changing the sensations and only in speed does it approach the 43 and 44 versions ... I'm curious to see the developments ... thanks always to everyone!!! ;)

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

you could experiment with higher Velocity scale so it’s not so weak at low speed and see how it works.
    logitech’s often need a boost.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Wow Stakanov, nice!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just tried .31, .36, .44 & .45. For me, I keep going back to .31 as it has the best overall feeling for me.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Just a thought, but perhaps going forward it's worth posting which version of the file each of us is using and referring to in our comments? The reason being is that perhaps one file needs its default values adjusted more than another, and it's not necessarily something wrong or undesirable in the underlying code. Obviously, the more info each of us can provide (car, track, wheelbase, etc), the more helpful it is, but at a minimum, perhaps the file type is the most important. Then again, I am only speculating here. I haven't had a chance to try ver .45 yet, but I always use the HighEnd file. It also sounds like @Panos Schoino and @Karsten Hvidberg use the exact same TrueDrive settings, and we all have SC2 Pro wheelbases, so hopefully that provides a solid foundation for feedback on the HighEnd file, but clearly it sounds like people are finding areas of improvement thus far (as always).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Karsten Hvidberg

v46 posted just now.

Huge thanks to @Panos Schoino & @Shadak for helping improve & adjust this version yet again! Also would not have been possible to adjust without all the input & feedback from everybody else in our little "ffb diehard" forum thread. It's truly a big team effort to make these improvements possible.

So cheers guys, I hope this gets it closer to a center for most of us, but we will see :)

* Improved LFB coherency. Does not make the wheel go lighter on cornering when increasing.
    * Improved center full feeling.
    * Adjusted kers & kerb surfaces.
    * Added new acceleration/deceleration effect adjustable by values "acc2_scale" & "dec2_scale". It's def. fun at higher values, but starting out in between conservative & fun. Can make sense to increase for some cars.
    * New "master_road" road scale value added.
    * New "center_full" value added. Use to increase/decrease fullness at center when LFB sliding does not cut it.

Link: https://forum.reizastudios.com/attachments/silver-raw-6-6-5-46-zip.12575/

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Karsten Hvidberg

Guys, really sorry for not getting all your names in the file, will have them all included next time 8)
    Or at least try... Many are missing...
    (I know most of you prob. don't care much 8))

On another note: I have some cool ideas for improvements and we still need to make the latest feel the best to all of us, if possible, but aside from that, if anybody's feeling something obvious is missing or has some awesome new idea for ffb possibly, def. post it!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  9. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Thank you again for all you invest in making AMS2 ffb as good as it can be.

Is it possible to have a shudder effect when the wheels lock up? My D-box has a traction loss effect (shudder) but, it would be great to have that in the ffb as well.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tUMi

tUMi Active Member

@Karsten Hvidberg Thank you for releasing another new version of your custom FFB file. :)

I just did a quick test run with the new v46 file at Nurburgring GP with two different cars - the Mercedes-AMG GT3 and the McLaren MP4/12.

I must say that the v46 file definitely feels very advanced compared to v31 file for example which I was previously using (I did a few test runs earlier also with the files v45 and v41 but went back to the v31). :)

First I took the Mercedes-AMG GT3 and went to Nurburgring GP and after the disappointment I had with the previous version (the v45 file, which felt lifeless and lacked road feedback on my wheel base) driving with this new file felt so much better. On my wheel base the difference felt HUGE compared to v45, not to mention the older versions.

The v46 file has literally transformed my TS-PC Racer in AMS2, the Mercedes-AMG GT3 has never felt so good to drive. After the v45 file it really brought the life back into my wheel base. The feedback from the road (bumps), kerbs, cornering and center all felt excellent all around, the wheel no longer felt dead when driving on straight line. I also noticed with the v46 that it's easier to correct when oversteering, even when driving a high downforce car such as the McLaren MP4/12, thanks to the precise feedback from the tires and the road. Almost felt like I've upgraded my wheel. :)

And finally, these are the in-game FFB settings I'm currently using with the Silver Raw v46 custom FFB file (after v31 file I had to increase them all). I'm on Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer Ferrari 488 Challenge Edition (I have replaced the original alcantara covered Ferrari rim with the OMP 300mm suede leather rim). By the way, I should mention that I'm using the "HighEnd" version of the file if anyone is wondering:

Gain: 90
    LFB: 60
    FX: 90
    Damping: 0
    Menu spring strength: 10

Vehicle specific FFB Gain: 110 (I'm using this same value for both Mercedes-AMG GT3 and the McLaren MP4/12, I haven't tested with more cars yet so another vehicle specific FFB Gain value might be needed for other cars)

And these are the settings I use in Thrustmaster Control Panel:

Wheel rotation: 900º

Master Gain: 75%

Constant: 100%
    Periodic: 100%
    Spring: 0%
    Damper: 0%

Auto-Center Settings: The auto-center setting is left on it's default value which is "by the game" in Thrustmaster Control Panel.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

With all the added adjustment lines in the .46 HIGH file, I was able to get exactly what I needed, and it averaged across cars quite nicely. Most noticeably was that, the trend to oscillate when letting go of the wheel has completely disappeared. Not sure how the guys did that, but in my opinion, it's the best thing yet!

I was actually able to drive the OW cars with the same settings as the tin tops, and just had to lower the in car FFB level on some of the cars that have bounce, but on the F309 there was no need to adjust anything. differently from the tin top.

These are the tracks that I used to test with: Imola, Brands Hatch, and Spielburg, and I tested the following cars: 911 GT3, AMG GT3, M6 GT3, ProCar, F309, Classic F1_Gen 3_M1, and finally the V10_Gen2.

Each car has a specific response more or less, and that's why I did a variation to try to get a good average feel and a good in-game set of values that worked across them all, with just some minor FFB in-game level adjustment per car if needed. And that was primarily on cars with bounce.

I also found that after using the .46, I was finding myself tweaking the car set ups a little better due to the excellent feel and more detailed info that I was getting, especially in the DIFF adjustment areas.

Here's the link for reference: In-Game 57-82-68-Damp 2
    ffb_custom_settings

Cheers, and enjoy.

12. inthebagbud

inthebagbud Member AMS2 Club Member

Good timing as my body clock decided it wasn't sleep time which gives me 4hrs before work to mess around with 46.

Test with DD2, high end file, JCW mini at snetterton 200 as thats my next league race

Apologies upfront as this can be demoralising for you when the feedback is not the most positive

master road function works in 46 however road feel comes through better in 31 where i think this scale isn't there - can use the setting in 46 to increase although 31 just works straight off and doesn't feel as if its been exaggerated by a slider - if that makes sense

wheel weight on the straight in 46 is improved but still slightly vague around the centre, - again 31 feels more natural

cornering you feel the resistance however this seems to reduce very quickly at lower speed corners - try hairpin corners 2/3 on track. if you exceed slip angle in 31 you can correct this by the way it is communicated through the ffb feel however in 46 there was limited warning and found some of the higher speed corners i just drove off track without warning - was pushing on purpose though to see what happened

brake feel doesn't seem to work for me

Not sure if it was there but I thought I noticed in 46 that when transitioning from grass to tarmac i felt a bite when the wheels hit the target ( my excursions to grass were purely scientific you understand). was i dreaming this as it didn't seem to be in 31

the over rotation effect is back in 46 , the left hander after the bridge is a case in point, turn in under decel and i lose the car but not in 31

i had a good hour messing with 46 and as soon as I went back to 31 i was more confident and my lap times increased straight away.

Hope i haven't put you off too much in your quest and it may just be the Fanatec DD2 interprets things differently or the most logical is that I don't know what I'm talking about :)

~UPDATE
    So after writing this can you explain the function of LFB a bit more . I took random selection GT3 BMW to Bathurst and found no LFB to be the best , increasing actually dulled the feedback maybe like clipping does

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Karsten Hvidberg

No worries,

But it's weird that you have no brake feel on your dd2.
    Maybe post car, track, fanatec settings and in-game settings so we can see what @Shadak has for comments based on his dd1 where he's got it so those things are very clearly felt.
    Also if you made any edits to the file post those.

Reg. the Lfb, increasing it should not make you clip more and it should not give you less feel in any amount that you would notice. It should however give you more feel at the low end and more feel at the center.

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  14. Michael Enright

Hi Karsten, Just tried .46, but can't seem to get the steering going light over a crest. What, if anything, can I adjust to get this feeling that is in .31? Everything else, after a few little adjustment, feels pretty good. I will test more later. Thank you for you continuing efforts.

15. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey Michael,

Please change thse 2 lines:
    (FL_load_norm_s (smooth FL_load_norm 0.05))
    (FR_load_norm_s (smooth FR_load_norm 0.05))
    to:
    (FL_load_norm_s (smooth FL_load_norm 0.2))
    (FR_load_norm_s (smooth FR_load_norm 0.2))

and these 2 lines:
    (FL_load_norm (+ FL_load_norm_s (- FL_load_norm (smooth FL_load_norm 0.05))))
    (FR_load_norm (+ FR_load_norm_s (- FR_load_norm (smooth FR_load_norm 0.05))))
    to:
    (FL_load_norm (+ FL_load_norm_s (- FL_load_norm (smooth FL_load_norm 0.2))))
    (FR_load_norm (+ FR_load_norm_s (- FR_load_norm (smooth FR_load_norm 0.2))))

And see if it helps?

16. Michael Enright

Thanks for that. I tried it and I think it was better, very hard to tell. Unfortunately, after about 40 minutes or so of trying different settings etc, I ended up going back to .31 again. Can't explain why it feels better, it just does. The car just seems to respond and communicate better. Can feel everything the car and track are doing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mikk Schleifer

Mikk Schleifer Active Member AMS2 Club Member

copy that from inthebag and Michael:cool:

18. Karsten Hvidberg

Which car is this?

19. Karsten Hvidberg

I think it is car dependent maybe.
    But next iteration will be targeted at making v47 better for all, including the v31 fanboiz :)
    (And also work better across more cars yet again.)

• Like Like x 3
  20. Panos Schoino

Panos Schoino New Member

Mate thanks for the feedback. The issue is that FFB is extremely subjective and depends on the gear used, expectations, preferences and real life and sim experiences. So some people like an certain implementation, others don't. Personally i find 0.31 to be lacking but if it suits you better, then fair enough. Now regarding 0.46 we have been working with Karsten and we have been trying to create something that is decent and acceptable for most cars and good between the different wheel bases which is a very tough mission as you may understand for many reasons. Having said that the purpose of the file is to work lets say "well" but give to each one of us the option to adjust things to our liking. I know it's not easy and it takes some time to do this but well it is what it is.

I have seen that you did your testing with the Mini and to be honest, as it is, it may not be the best thing. We haven't focused too much on adjusting the settings for this car. Nevertheless you can try for now this file that i have adjusted as per your comments (as much as i could of course) and see if it works better for you. Bear in mind both Karsten and i use an SC2 Pro with 100% strength and no filters at all. I am not sure how fanalab works but i suggest you may try removing any extra filters, etc.
    For the ingame settings with the Mini i have used gain 38, lfb 5, fx, 55 and damping 10.

So give this a spin and let me know if it is any better for you. In the meanwhile Karsten is already having some new ideas for 0.47, so hopefully some issues can be resolved, but also that is why feedback is appreciated.

Attached Files: