1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Panos Schoino

Panos Schoino New Member

I more or less agree with you. 0.45 is more lean and pure where the effects are subtle and discreet. In a way closer to "reality" where not everything is transmitted so much through the steering wheel. 0.46 is more fun in a way with the additional effects. For me both are good but it is subject to personal preference...

• Like Like x 2
  2. Raceracerace

Raceracerace Active Member

Couldn't have said it better. The steering wheel transmission is so key. And I fully get the desire to add more to it, but maybe I have come to see that at least for myself its not necessary.

I base this on an impression I got from a forza 7 v Pcars1 review one time. It could well be that 45 and AMS2 is some kind of sweet spot.

I am driving the P1 prototype Ginetta 558 at Imola today a fair bit, so its being fair to both 45 and 46; and I checked across other games to get a really good feel. Its more or less a relaxation day for myself but it was kind of frustrating.

I even had that exact thought where I said to myself I would go into the file and add in super obvious breaking and whatnot, kind of like some of those settings in raceroom you always turn way down (front wheel slip, etc).

What it would do and its why I don't do it - hence why I think 45 is just phenominal work - is it would adjust then the inputs I make to the wheel in response to whats happening on the screen. And with 46, for myself that does not gel as well. So while 45 leaves a little bit to the imagination it also does not add 'detail' or colour where there should be none.

So I think its fantastic. Even when you do high speed on the road I guarantee (and we all know how each country's local roads can be pretty nasty lol) well its not race track bumpy. I am talking highway speed. So its like the ffb is trying to steal the limelight whereas in 45 its the physics, or they compliment each other.

Beyond the effects and not to discredit what I just quoted because I fully agree with it - the steering is off due to that feedback. This is in spite of me thinking that technically (but for my own I mean not in practice) the steering as something I react to and plan for, is therefore off.

And all that lead me to see, perceive, believe or understand that at least for my driving style, I had reached the pinnacle of a ffb -

If its any consolation to the devs, its the best ffb/physics combo Ive ever seen :) it does not pollute my brains feedback channel haha and its resolving whats on screen as it happens to a level of detail/requirement unmatched. Maybe its as flawed as the game is unfinished but its still a higher correlation.

^ This is all with 65 gain (from 100 full in settings) 50, 50, 50, at imola and ginetta p1 type, I think less is more all over - all blends in rather nicely. The car is swift, the steering is swift, it bobs and moves around, its got road feel, its both loose and tight, firms up when it needs, stays loose as needed. And does that through the full range of tyre grip and general race happenings.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

I generally agree.
    Due to being a bit flat out this week , I haven’t been able to work effectively or efficiently with .46. .
    There’s some great additions in it, but I feel like I’m trying to tune it down to get the swift controlled wheel of .45
    .47 will probably come along before I get around to optimising it.

Comparing the two does highlight a couple of areas that could be improved in .45. , like elevation feel and brake feel. .
    Some would also probably like stronger lateral loading and no/low load weights if that’s their taste. , but that should be achievable in file.

I tried .31 again and it surprises me it’s popular, as while it feels decent around the track it’s kerb feel is quite one dimensional as is the variety in feel overall.

I thought .34 was better in every way of the older pre king files.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Michael Flemming

Michael Flemming New Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi guys, first of all a big compliment for all the work.
    I'm also currently trying with 0.45 and 0.46. 0.45 I really like with the GT1 Porsche, GT3 Mercedes and the V10 Gen2 on the Imola, BrandsHatch, Spa and RedBull Ring tracks. I find 0.46 very interesting. But unfortunately I find the reinforcement in the corners too strong. Especially with the V10Gen2.
    What value would I have to change to reduce that.
    Excuse my english.
    greeting
    Michael

5. Michael Flemming

Michael Flemming New Member AMS2 Club Member

I am traveling with the SC 2 Pro

6. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

On my DD i have to use low-ish gain, like 23-25 and each increase by 1 point can make things unrealistically strong. to compensate I use about 30-40 lfb.

7. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Tests finished on the *46 LOW file with the Logitech G920 steering wheel ... this time I started by optimizing the cars with so much speed and downforce F3 - F.Clas.2e3 - V10 (G1 and 2) - V12 - F. Reiza - F. Ultimate ... moreover, in the game, instead of starting from my usual values ([55-65] -80-75-0), I started with a midfield setting 54-50-65-4 because check that the center and the other features I am looking for can be obtained by modifying the parameters of the customized file ... ;)
    Gain 54 (50-55) is the minimum to have a bit of strength on all cars, even the lightest ones such as the MP4 the rest will be done by the customized file ... LFB 50, even here I preferred not to raise the bar to 80 because I have slightly increased the values of the center in the file *46 ... on FX 65 I do not give indications because it is subjective, do as you think , but in relation to this (if you like it seasoned as I like it) I set the Damping to 4 and not 0 this time, because at zero the jolts due to bumps on the road and effects, while with 4 yes without upsetting or sleeping the steering wheel ... even 1-2 dampens and if I'm not mistaken Peter Stefani uses 2 as a Damping value.

Anyway let's go to the file.

- First you have to specify one thing, the 3 files of Karsten LOW, MED and HIGH currently differ from each other only for these 5 lines, so if you take the HIGH but then insert for example the entries "tighten_range", "tighten_falloff", the "centering" and the "exagerate ..." then you should call it LOW and not HIGH anymore ... but this is unimportant.
    [​IMG]

- Here we see what I changed ... just a slight change to the master road and then I raised the values of the center and of the exaggerate without stretch_fell to balance the low LFB values and then i raised the braking , the rear_grip_loss_feel and the kerbs_bump_scale.

[​IMG]

- And as effects I only changed the scrub
    [​IMG]

The cars mentioned above feel great, the Spritrace, the Stock cars, the GTs and all the P1-4s, etc. quite stable as well ... I have to optimize it only for the StreetCars, the Catheran and the Retro which are very fluctuating .... let's see if I can do it by tonight .... and in any case this *46 it's not my favorite yet but already like this is very close to him!!!! ;)

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. AxisMagi

AxisMagi Member AMS2 Club Member

Testing with Formula Rieza - Interlagos

SC2 Settings:

Overall Strength: 30%
    Steering Range: 900 degrees
    Bumpstop: Soft
    Bumpstop Range 900 degrees
    Simicube Force Reconstruction Filter: 1 Minimum "fast"
    Torque Bandwidth Limit 2200Hz
    Other Filters:
    Damping: 4%
    Friction: 3%
    Inertia: 8%
    Static Force Reduction: Off
    Slew Rate: Off
    Ultra Low Latency: 16%
    Peaking and Notch Filter: Disabled
    DirectInput Effect Fine Tuning:
    Friction: 4%
    Spring: 100%
    Sine Wave: 100%
    Square Wave: 100%
    Sawtooth: 100%
    Triangle: 100%

AMS2 Settings:

Gain: 40
    LFB: 30-50 Generally
    FX: 40
    Damping: 20-50 Generally

9. AxisMagi

This is quite the challenge to tune with so many variables and difficult to calibrate without
    a reference point, hope my feedback is helpful.

I tried lowering the master_road and master effects which reduced the clipping issue.
    I also doubled the center_full and lowered velocity in half which helped. But what I'm still
    feeling is way too much force at the wheel corner radius extreme, almost like a soft bumpstop
    on hard cornering at the edge of the wheel radius in corners.

I agree with previous poster that the wheel forces in real race cars are not extreme.
    I've never raced an open wheeler but have a lot of experience with gt cars
    and race bmw m3. To drive on the limit the wheel forces need to communicate
    clearly and quickly to allow reaction and counter steering during slip. I've never been
    able to get that feeling in a sim and properly throttle steer like in a real race car,
    but AMS2 with your FFB is getting close!

Cheers,
    Axis

10. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Thats a really big gain for a DD wheel, can you lower it to 23 and then adjust SC2 force slowly to get to your preferred cornering torque? Once done, adjust LFB.

11. TheNormalOne

TheNormalOne New Member

The custom files are getting more and more sophisticated, small things can make the difference. but what you should not forget when providing your impressions and maybe even your own ffb files: what equipment are you using???
    For a DD user, the settings for a Thrustmaster steering wheel make little sense. A Logitech user can do nothing with both settings. Therefore, I would actually find it a necessary standard to post the knowledge gained in connection with the steering wheel used.

12. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

I don't think you should need:
    Friction: 3%
    Inertia: 8%

I have them all at 0% myself.
    Inertia will hurt over-steer precision and delay any front tyre information/turning push, so that is prob. the most important to reduce, at least from my perspective.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There are no specific rules, there are a sea of nuances that are subjective ... but generic ranges can be given, but it is obvious that you will have to adjust it to your feelings, then if you want to go crazy like all of us, you will do it all again every new version of Karsten & Company :p, otherwise I recommend that you find a version you like and enjoy the game by checking back once in a while to see if there have been any substantial improvements with future versions. ;)

However, some game genres settings coupled with files might look like this:
    - DD User: Gain 0-35 LFB 0-35 FX 0-35 with file HIGH File;
    - Fanatec and Medium Power Steering Wheels: Gain 35-50 LFB 35-50 FX 35-55 with MED File;
    - Logitech and low end: Gain 50-85 LFB 50-80 FX 55-85 with LOW File.

Once you have found the winning combination, you can start modifying in the file.txt the individual items one by one, see if you like it, otherwise go back and go to the next item!!!
    Unfortunately your senses, your tastes and your way of synchronizing with what you see on the video is not replicable so you will have to experiment !!! ;)

With experience, knowing the reactions to the changes made and over time, you will learn what to change directly to improve the look you are looking for !!!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

So, I was running the Gen3 -M1 at Imola_Historic_1988 , and I was not really liking the .46 FFB, with the In-Game settings used with the tin tops. So, I tweaked it better for open wheel types. The ffb_custom_settings file is the same, but the In-Game is better at 76-97-47- DMP 9. That obviously changes per car type. I don't mind because I record each car/track combo and all the settings anyway.
    NAME: SlvRaw-v6.6.5.46-WIP15-MomRk-5.2-Karsten-G920
    Starting Points for In-Game - will vary per car/track
    Tin Tops: 57-82-68-DMP 2
    Open Wheel: 76-97-47-DMP 9

• Like Like x 1
  15. AxisMagi

Thanks Shadak and Karsten, those changes helped a lot. I had the AMS2 Gain way to high for this version. It's a much more precise feeling. I still feel like the outer edges of my turn radius are getting too much force in high speed corners. Would like to have a little more distribution of
    force in the entire turn range.

What AMS2 Damping settings are you running with DD ?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Karsten Hvidberg

It depends on the car, but somewhere 15-35, normally.
    Cornering fix is ready in v37 wip file with a value to adjust it as well.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  17. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You do mean v47 don't you? :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Karsten Hvidberg

v47 posted.

* Huge thanks to @Panos Schoino & @Shadak for direct adjustments & everybody else in the forum for all the awesome feedback to work from.
    * "Power-steering" curve and value added "power_steering". Helps keep heavy cornering in check.
    * Better behaved base signal.
    * Improved center full feeling.
    * Adjusted towards lighter over crests.
    * Several adjustments based on combination of feedback & feel.

Direct link: https://forum.reizastudios.com/attachments/silver-raw-6-6-5-47-zip.12621/

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. ZeferinoCoutinho

ZeferinoCoutinho Zef_mirror_man-zefthebestofcour

Thanks Karsten! Awesome work! Could you please define what "Power steerig" is/consists of??? Please???

• Like Like x 1
  20. Karsten Hvidberg

Yes, it's a simple, but full Lfb.
    So requires master_rack scaled down, if it is increased.
    This will then make the low forces the same, but the higher forces less.
    I will fix it so it does the master_rack scale automatically at some point.
    There is nothing more to it 8)

• Like Like x 2