1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. psone

psone Guest

@Gagaryn between high and ultra I'm not sure. I really only noticed a gain in performance when switching from high to low. At the time I was only concerned in the resulting frametimes and in that respect there was a measurable improvement. Visually though, from memory at least, you don't see much of a difference from one setting to another.

I think graphics settings need to be looked at generally there are some definite inconsistencies, but I've only really started testing since the most recent update so I might not notice something that was working previously.

@0ct0 That's so weird, Spa is a big track but I didn't feel it was much more demanding that any other I think in terms of optimization it and Nords have probably gotten the most love as they're big names. Just out of curiosity what happens if you crank up the ingame settings and SS at Spa also how does Nords preform? The only thing I noticed about Spa was between 20:00 and 06:00 its a no go for me at the settings I would like to use. Which is the case for pretty much all tracks I've tried.

I think car detail levels are working ok, at least for GT1s they look decidedly box at low. Maybe this isn't true for every car though.

2. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

Thanks for the advice. You are talking about exposure! Exposition is a literary term. Please don’t think I’m attacking your English speaking skills - I’m your typical Brit who only speaks their own language so is absolutely in no position to judge anyone else... and I can only apologise for the arrogance of anyone who does!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. 0ct0

0ct0 Member

@psone I'll try and put my GTX1080 back in just to make sure, it was coincidental that my new card went in and AMS2 updated so hard to say which is causing it but most other tracks are running ok

I'll try Nords tonight and feedback.

4. psone

psone Guest

@0ct0 the only reason I ask what happens when you crank up the settings is sometimes the gpu is absolutely hammering the cpu requesting new frames if the load is too little, or the work is just being offloaded completely to the cpu. Just curious if it makes any difference in your case.

5. Rasmus Juel Andersen

Rasmus Juel Andersen New Member

Nono, I mean like jagged edges in the picture, which kinda breaks the immersion for me

Btw I think this new Jimmy Broadbent video might make AMS2 popular as hell, he is really hyped about it :-DD

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  6. psone

psone Guest

That is not Jimmy Broadbent.

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. week

week New Member

Don't worry at all. This kind of things helps me with my poor English xD

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

I didn't know the other side of Jimmer's shed looked like that. So awesome.

9. SimRacingJunckie

SimRacingJunckie New Member

I have an I5 9600k and a 3080 with a Q2 and I can do 80hz with oculus slider maxed out with some high /ultra settings and it looks absolutely amazing. I turn off Shadows completely as I don't like how they look in vr and they are a real FPS killer. If I race in nigh time or with bad weather, I have to lower my settings to get a decent FPS. Make sure that you turn off ASW in the oculus debug tool(you have to turn it off every time you start a game) as it looks like crap and will drop your frame rate in half as soon as it goes 1 frame under the set fps (That's why you were getting 45fps) . Keep in mind that your card has to push more then double the pixels in your headset to achieve the same resolution then your monitor. You should be able to achieve 72 fps with some medium/high (maybe a few low) settings with shadows off and bring up the oculus slider a bit with your 3070. I find that MSAA High and the oculus slider as high as possible makes the biggest difference in image quality. Also change your sharpening strength (edit your graphicsconfigoculusdx11.xml in the mydocuments/automobilista2 folder with notepad. I have mind set to 2 but you can play around with it. Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  10. easy81

easy81 Member

you can kindly take a screenshot of this ASW function. I can not find it?

11. Rasmus Juel Andersen

Rasmus Juel Andersen New Member

Wooops haha

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

Anyone else using a Reverb G2? Im on a 3080/5600x and having a lot of issues.
    I also have a Rog Strix x570 mobo which doesnt play nice with the Reverb, so after updating all my drivers and making some changes to my BIOS I just ordered a USB 3.0 card hoping it will sort the USB issues and stabelize things.
    If that doesnt help I might have to consider upgrading my RAM since AMD CPUs seem to run better on 3000+ Mhz.

Already tuned down the res per eye sliders and turned off the "SteamVR Home" option but it hasnt really helped much and right now the game keeps crashing after just a couple of minutes...
    Is there anything else I might have missed?

13. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

To increase performance is it better to upgrade processor or graphics card? My specs in my signature

thanks in advance
    Baz

14. week

week New Member

The graphic card, but luck looking for one...

15. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

Will overclocking give me much?

Baz

16. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Are you on the newest Asus beta bios or Asus stable bios release? Some people are having stability issues with ASUS's new beta bios for the x570 chipset, until they manually turn OFF certain settings.
    Make sure you have the latest AMD chipset drivers and Windows updates but it sounds like you already updated all drivers.

On my system only one of the front USB port works, so test all your USB ports on your PC. My friend found a good fix for his G2 USB issue, he only had one port that would semi detect his headset and disconnect. He plugged in a powered USB hub into the one port that semi-worked on his PC and plugged the G2 into the powered USB hub. His connection to the G2 is now super stable. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

When I use vr my view stays what I would describe as fixed in cockpit. I have seen videos where the camera seems to move all over the place, what settings are these?

Thanks

18. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

When I use vr my view stays what I would describe as fixed in cockpit. I have seen videos where the camera seems to move all over the place, what settings are these?

Thanks

19. Kevin del Campo

Yeap Ive gone through the whole deal changing the PCIE settings in my BIOS and updated everything.
    Only one of my front ports is (kinda) working as well and Ive tried all of them multiple times.
    A powered USB card is on its way, Ive read this might fix it so Im really hoping for that.
    So far Im not impressed lol

20. Kevin del Campo

When you look left and right does your view not move with you?

21. Marnus Zwarts

Marnus Zwarts Boost Creep AMS2 Club Member

Tx bud. I've settled on the following, which gives me a solid 72Hz with the 3070 and Q2
    • Oculus slider 1.4 (highest in 72Hz) (now 1.3) and this makes the biggest difference for me
      • this is a resolution that's something like 5xxx / 45xx (now 5xxx / 42xx)
    • Texture high
    • World high - no real diff to ultra or low (now MED)
    • Track high - no real diff to ultra or low again (now HIGH)
    • MSAA off (now MED)
    • SMAA off
    • Shadows low (now OFF)
    • Most other's low/med
    • Sharpening 2.1
    • ASW off makes it much better too
    • Even in rain, still 72Hz with maybe one stutter per lap
    Like @psone mentioned several times (after I really worked through the whole thread) that this is a balance between expectation vs h/w capability.
    @week also mentioned to play with the exposure to reduce the shimmering, I'll give that a shot too.

The shimmering is gone with the SMAA on MED or HIGH, so these are my new settings. Maybe this can help someone with similar h/w.

Tx for all the help from the community!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 2