1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GT3 tire pressures

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by ControlLogix, Feb 15, 2021.

1. ControlLogix

ControlLogix Active Member

I know that in general for GT3 cars, you want the tire pressure when racing to be around 1.80 bar or 26 psi.

The default setup, at least for the GT3 AMG, is 1.50 bar, which usually results in a running pressure of around 1.60 bar. I know this is dependent on the ambient temps, but my tire pressures always end up around 1.60 bar.

Just wondering why the default setup pressures are set this low? Is it that the setup pressures need to be raised, or is the tire model incorrect for how much the pressure increases from cold to hot? Like I said, the setup pressure is 1.50 bar and during a race will only go up to 1.60 bar.

2. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Whatever the pressure winds up being on the screen doesn’t matter. All that matters is the temp gradient on the HUD.

3. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

When green tyre condition, Grip, temperatures and wear is not happening at RL pressures, something is very wrong with the Simulation. Sames goes for strange fantasy Diff.-lock LSD settings and strange caster, toe and camber values.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Tyres always working optimally at the magical value of 1.8 bar is also fantasy.

5. steelreserv

If you’re used to setting pressure based off of a static optimal pressure, sure. But for now, you can get to the same place, you just need to track the IMO. After that its just a number on the screen.
    The diffs are generally following traditional power/coast ratios now as well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

No, often the "magical" values are above 2bar for road tyres as well. Depends a lot on vehicle weight. 1.4 is the minimum pressure allowed in GT3 regulatory, not the optimum for all tracks. I have two binders full of collected data from different cars and series. What I exspect from a Simulation is, that RL values must deliver RL results.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  7. steelreserv

I hear you. For now its just numbers on the screen. Also, I don't believe they are trying to mimic official racing tires that are provided by a particular manufacturer. Think of them as "Reizastones" or "Reizellis". Hopefully at some point they will adjust the calculator so that a realistic hot PSI is reflected on screen for us.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ControlLogix

ControlLogix Active Member

So in the end, it sounds like we cannot go by comparable pressure levels to set the correct pressure, we can only go by the temp gradient after driving around for a bit? What is the optimal temp gradient then? Less than 10C between middle and outside of tire?

9. steelreserv

Exactly. 7c-10c is a good target. You know the pressure is perfect when the middle temp of the tire is right In-between the inside and outside temps. In RL they use pyrometers and its largely considered more accurate than a “recommended manufacturer” pressure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Takes at least 6 laps to get them settled too.