1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Default Setups / Rear Toe

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Empty Box, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Empty Box

Empty Box Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I know lots of things are WIP and the physics aren't final, but...

What is up with a lot of the default setups having no rear toe at all? I thought it was typical to have a bit of toe in at the rear to add some stability, which sure enough it does just that without much penalty. After reading some discussions where people are mentioning swapping into over / understeer too quickly or losing the rear I have to wonder if that might be part of the issue if people aren't changing it.

Cars I've checked so far (reset to default verified)
    Porsche Cup 4.0 & 3.8 (0 toe)
    McLaren 720S GT3 (-.1 toe in... so toe out at the rear?)
    Porsche 911 GT3R (0)
    Porsche GT1-98 (0)
    Mercedes CLK-LM (0)
    McLaren F1 GTR (0)
    Stock Car Brazil 2019 & 2020 (0)

Mercedes GT3, BMW GT3, M1 ProCar, FV10 G2 all have some degree rear toe in.

So is this for a reason or is it just because it hasn't been taken care of?

Also, how I wish the readings would just say ".x toe in" or ".x toe out" rather than negative toe in being toe out. Not just a AMS2/Reiza thing either. o_O

• Like Like x 2
  2. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

A good question..

3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

-/+ is how it is in the mechanical industry, when doing a wheel alignment the computer shows -/+ for all readings (camber, caster, toe, set back and so on), so it comes without thought for me but I can see how some may be confused or just plain mix it up. In/out would make sense in some ways, but seeing this is a Sim I hope it stays the way it is.

4. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Let's say it that way:

There is a new find (no gamebreaker or true exploit, but an interesting outcome and it was just discovered a week ago or so), that some cars react quite strong to even very small amounts of rear toe settings and are actually less enjoyable to drive in some cases.

This issue/peculiarity was basically found "by accident", when seeing, that the MRX P4 had negative toe at the rear due to a typo and was strangely understeery and overly stable, which lead to experimenting with other cars. (experimenting with negative, neutral and positive, to see, how it behaves, which resulted in discovering rear positive toe actually showing the described strong reaction to even very small settings)

I don't think, that this is the final way to deal with this stuff, but the default setup adjustments (Zero-ing rear toe) are basically a reaction to this phenomenon, for now, that has to be understood better by the people with actual IQ in driving physics (I don't have much, i was just driving and discovering it in one of my testing sessions, but actually didn't fell for placebo at least :D), what might truly cause it, without messing things up.

For perceiving it, it's probably a good idea to recommend trying the Caterham 620R and apply 0.1° toe, then compare it to the behaviour with 0.0° toe, especially when braking into corners hard.
    Some cars are not as affected, some are more.

(If positive rear toe settings still feel better for you, use them, it will not break physics or something :D)

It has negative rear toe or is it just saying "-0.0"? Negative rear toe values are not desireable, in particular, of course :whistle:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Jyri Kettunen

Jyri Kettunen Active Member AMS2 Club Member

From theoretical point of view rear tires toe out when accelerating on a RWD-car. That's why you want some static toe-in for more stability. With a suspension like a semi-trailing arm, they also toe out under braking. Then you apply stiffer suspension with more static toe-in (see many GrA. and older DTM-cars). In a simulation one would hope it works in similar fashion.

6. Empty Box

Empty Box Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The value isn't toe, it's toe in. See, this is why it's confusing because it's a double negative. lol

It's -.1 degree toe in, aka .1 degree toe out. I know some cars have of course run toe out at the rear for a variety of reasons, but just struck me as a bit odd. Could be that is just something McLaren is baselining with or just a typo and it's the wrong way around. Dunno.

7. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

EDIT: it's actually Toe-In Angle in the english loca...damn yes, this is confusing as hell. But a negative toe-in angle (because toe-in is the positive one) is actually a "toe out".

In the german localization it's "Spurwinkel", which means Toe Angle in english, it's actually less confusing.

In the localizations, the pCars way of naming things was confusing anyway, IMO: like "Sperrdifferential" in german for "Spool" (i maintain the german translation and it's not the first time, that the english one left me with confusion), which is wrong, because a Spool isn't even a differential to begin with and i decided to change it to "Starrer Durchtrieb" (which is basically rigid drive/spool and technically more accurate)
    This is odd. The changes for the toe reaction tend to 0° not -0.1° This is very likely not right :) (EDIT: yup)

Toe out at the rear is really rare, though. In the case of the MRX P4, it was actually wrong and it lead to the discovery of a small quirk in physics. :D

And for the sake of not confusing us all, i stare at graphics of this kind, i have attached.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The above photo is universally accepted in SIM's, so why does this SIM try to do anything different, just get on board with the rest of the world.