1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.1.1.0 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.1.1.3

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jan 30, 2021.

1. cpcdem

cpcdem Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think you are right, this is the reason why some new stuff is not coming fast, but it's coming. It's difficult dealing with other people's code, but after you reach the point you've mostly mastered it (in whole or parts of it), then you can do anything. Remember, the Madness engine in PCARS2 has probably the worst FFB among sims ever known to man, but it's mostly fantastic in AMS2, PCARS2 has a ridiculous behavior of cars over kerbs, this works just fine in AMS2, PCARS2 has the worst track limits/slowdown system ever conceived, but Reiza has modified it to something that is already working much better in AMS2 etc etc. So definitely more is coming in improvements over the engine problems and missing features. Regarding some of your points:

-(separately) Adjustable Mirrors: I suspect this is an extremely difficult one by definition, because it would mean calculating and displaying the world through 3-4 different angles (the forward one and 3 different ones for mirrors). For a very low gfx quality game this could be possible, but if you expect the mirror image to be comparable to the forward one, then this would be extremely GPU heavy and I suspect that probably this one will never happen indeed. I have no insight on this, just my guess on the matter.

-Replay, I think I've read somewhere that SMS attempted to actually "fix" this before releasing PCARS2, but they failed and had no time left to properly do it, before the sim was released. I would bet Reiza will deal with this one eventually, but it will just take some time, as I guess it's not of the highest priority.

-Multiplayer features: Already Reiza made several improvements, in the car collisions, penalty system, accidental "exit race" problems etc. There is still A LOT that needs to be improved, but it looks to me that this aspect is also improving (although indeed slowly unfortunately).

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I bet you could do it in 3 minutes. Man it must feel so good to be as good as you..

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I hope its pretty obvious that the 5-6 minutes was a joke.
    Just to get a tint of humour into a discussion where some of the usual subjects consider any criticism of AMS2 as blasphemy.:p:p

ByTheWay: But something that probably could be solved in 5-6 min times is as example a menu in TT asking: Do you want to delete sessions best laptime: Yes/Cancel.
    How many minutes to replace Cancel with No?:rolleyes:

4. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

Hi Renato, the second vid is spot on about what I'm experiencing on that same Oulton's corner with a lot of cars, but while I'm fine with the grip loss when the tires touch the grass, leading to a spin, I think the grass is slippery as hell when you are on it and try to recover from an out track excursion.

For example, on that same Oulton corner and under the same spin condition, the simulated Caterham will go straight to the inner barrier without stop, like if the grass was wet, and then spinning like mad when you try to return to the track.

To be clear, my concern is when the car is 4 wheels on the grass, it's like driving on wet grass, I feel no friction whatsoever on that situation.

Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Juan Reinoso

Juan Reinoso Doctor SimRacing AMS2 Club Member

Like menu options ON/NO

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Cool it’s an ambigram and a palindrome!

• Creative Creative x 2
  7. Sergio Rafael Lemke

Sergio Rafael Lemke New Member

So was it a joke or not? :rolleyes:

So let's say you are a developer, have the source code, you use the search function of your IDE, you search for 'Cancel', probably find many results(or not), if yes, you filter out which are possible the correct one and change it and test, or, you make sure the same 'Yes/Cancel' is not a fixed global string(which very likely it is since it also needs to be translated) used by other functions, it probably would also be good to check if 'Yes/No' would be compatible on that other game areas, maybe 'Yes/Cancel' is more appropriate in other areas of the game.
    So that would probably be my approach or a new developer with access to that src code, so let's say a seasoned developer takes that one, yeah, he probably would have an deep knowledge and could fix it fast. But, a seasoned developer you probably want to be working on engine/physics.

8. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Great to see you in AMS2 buddy. Always appreciated the help you gave me with getting to grips with PC2 :) After going through the PC2 experience I agree with your point of view here. The pace of improvements is extraordinary given the challenges right now, and no one can doubt Reiza's commitment! Im super excited for the career mode once that lands, and custom championships is just over the horizon. Great times!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Mirrors would be cool. But I am more interested in mirrors on the opponents. It I recall in AMS 1 they just copy your mirrors into the opponents for better performance, instead of rendering all the different.

11. Raffael

Raffael New Member

I honestly could not believe this was overlooked, when I first saw it in early access :rolleyes: it's so annoying when setting up the game for the first time...

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. cpcdem

cpcdem Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey, very nice to see you, too! Eventually, more or less everybody will end up here I think ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Turns out I got it, too. We love to complain about updates taking bandwidth, etc.

Here's one for comparison (that I am sure @Marius H will enjoy) with the patch notes:

Dirt Rally 2 - 14.7 GB
    Version 1.17
    February 16, 2021
    Locations:
    • Höljes, Sweden - Adjusted track limits to prevent significant corner-cutting in rare instances.
    Miscellaneous:
    • Adjusted performance of dynamic trackside signage.
    • Minor bug fixes and stability improvements (none notable enough to be highlighted).
    This is currently the final scheduled update for DiRT Rally 2.0.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Yeah I got that 14.7 GB update and hoped it included (finally) triple screen support but sadly this is the last update and my wish went unfulfilled.
    It appears Dirt 5 got triple support but DR2 left stretched.

15. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Ughhh Dirt Rally 2 *puke puke*

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Is it still a thing? I now remember it once was! (at least ages ago :confused:)

Side note:
    I'm maintaining the german localization, but maybe it's a general thing for all languages, if still there somewhere.

So in general, not directly related to the ON&NO oddity:
    If german users in particular still find something odd in the german localization, scream and moan at me, things can always slip through!!
    :D

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I understand German, so I'm fantasising about switching UI language from English to German just to avoid having to see the ON/NO options :D
    Since I'm not dyslectic, it's not a problem for me, but it still grinds my gears a little bit every time I see it, haha.

18. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Lol, I've not seen on/on. Am I just flicking them assuming it says off and not paying attention or do I need to go see someone to get my eyes checked :p

19. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Which options still have "On/No"?

20. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Binary options either have "YES/NO" or "ON/OFF" (and in code they probably all have true/false, haha)
    I can gather a list and send you the details in private.