1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GT3 cars too easy to spin...is it me?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by LuisB, Feb 20, 2021.

1. LuisB

LuisB New Member

I have been playing the latest release of AMS2, as well as ACC back-to-back. I have done so with one car (McLaren 720S GT3) and one track (Spa) on both sims. While they are both great, I have noticed that in AMS it is (a) **MUCH** easier to "lose the rear" of the car (i.e. get into a spin situation). In addition, once such a spin has started, (b) there is nothing you can do to rectify it, even if you catch it just as it starts.

In contrast, (a) is much less pronounced in ACC. Most importantly, however, (b) is not the case in ACC. In other words, there are actions you can take while driving that will bring the car back "in control" which are **MUCH** more realistic, or similar to what you would do in a real car when you're losing the rear.

I wonder if anybody else has experienced this behavior. It makes the driving un-realistic and "game-y" in an otherwise superb experience (in my opinion).

Looking forward to your thoughts/advice. Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Raceracerace

Raceracerace Active Member

Its my belief that ACC helps a person out, or the cars are just way more stable to start with. I can drive AC and ACC and its the same thing - AC won't help you out... lol... and AMS2 seems to find a middle ground but ACC simply wants to make you the best driver you can be in my experience plus they have aggressive and easy setups right off the bat. And you know how you're doing with their little progress thing in the corner.

Interesting you should say that - just drove porche gt3 (the ones in with all the other gt3s to be clear) and its got some lovely slide to it. You can feel the weight become slung and floppy then sideways as it does that, then it comes on smoothly back to center as one may expect.

So I am personally not finding that car as such.

Maybe you want to try the 50 version force feedback custom file?

This can help with such things -as they probably have not done too much to the ffb.

But I will also try other cars as I go forward.

I would say no therefore, in my experience, because its so much better. I am not pushing them either - they drive wonderfully as one expects. Maybe you are not used to it. Not a criticism just trying to find an answer. Since what I mean is that technically I could have slid it, and its on default I just reset it, but it handled well. But I have run into trouble with my own driving style with them in the past, so I am being careful and doing ok, corrections ect not overdone.

• Like Like x 1
  3. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Every sim I am good at is perfectly realistic. Every sim I am bad at is an unrealistic simcade. Unless you have specific examples with video and/or telemetry, these kind of discussions go nowhere.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I agree with the intention behind this - which is to try to establish some kind of "objectivity" for a discussion.
    But both videos and telemetry can be highly disputed as objective "facts".

I have seen a lot of videos of car behaviour that by the poster has been a proof of bugs in as example a cars TM/physics - but where the forum interpretation just explain/excuse it as some kind of normal car behavior if a car is overdriven.
    So...

ByTheWay: I consider a lot/many of the cars in AMS2 as more or less undrivable/too "unrealistic" but would have a pretty hard time to show this fully proven in a video.
    Enough "proven" to persuade really sceptic users I mean.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  5. sk8

sk8 Member

The Mclaren feels more tail happy to me currently and I don't remember it being that way in earlier builds. More down force and softer rear springs helps though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kkdrummer

kkdrummer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Something to also keep an eye on is tire temps. The mclaren really struggle on hot tracks, for example Interlagos at 2pm light clouds. I really struggle to finish a 10 lap race on this race configuration.

Braking is also difficult. Too late and downshift too fast and the car will unsettle and very easily spin.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LuisB

LuisB New Member

Well, thanks for condescending feedback I suppose. It was not my intention. I tried to provide the data I thought was appropriate, with the understanding that I am not an expert at this. That said, however, your opening assumption ("Every sim I am good at is...") is incorrect, as AMS2 is my sim of choice, and the one I have more hours on.

Finally, these kinds of discussions CAN go somewhere, as evidenced by other responses in this forum, and in other places where I have asked. For instance, others have kindly provided specific setups for the McLaren 720S car for me to try, and see if I still get into trouble.

• Like Like x 4
  8. LuisB

LuisB New Member

Thank you. I will try that, as well some other setups I have gotten to see if they help.

9. LuisB

LuisB New Member

Yeah, I suck at braking, I know. However, I suck equally in any given day :) so I guess that's why I fixed that variable by comparing the two sims side by side. Hardly scientific, I know, but I think it is safe to assume that the mistakes I made in ACC I made in AMS2 and vice-versa, and yet there were different results.

Have learned about tire temps. And I have learned that AMS2 does keep track of it more than ACC I suppose. Pretty amazing I'll say. *HOWEVER*, for the purposes of this comparison, unless the tire temps issue arises in the first lap or two, it would have not played a part, as I literally only did a couple of laps on each sim just to test the difference.

Thanks much for the feedback.

• Like Like x 1
  10. LuisB

LuisB New Member

Yes, I've learned that AMS2's physics are apparently much more detailed and sensitive to tire temperatures (for instance) than ACC, something I did not know. When I did the test, I was using the v50 of the FFB file from Karsten.

Your comment on "not pushing them that much [so they don't spin]" is absolutely on the money, of course. I try not to :) -- And acknowledged, I am a sucky driver. That said, I am equally pushing or sucking at both ACC and AMS2 and given the sizable difference in response from each sim, respectively, I grew curious as to the reason.

11. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

Not specific to GT3s, but I feel like something changed recently that made all cars more apt to make a sudden 180 under hard braking. Have to be more careful not to steer at all in this scenario and be very careful about how much I try to trail brake.

I'm not a race car driver so I won't opine on realism, I just know this scenario never happened to me before the last update.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

Duplicate

13. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

14. Empty Box

Empty Box Active Member AMS2 Club Member

One of the other things worth mentioning is that AC & ACC does the driver aids much, much better than Reiza has done so far in this scenario.

Especially if you are running on a default or non-reworked setup the TC in particular won't kick in until it's almost too late to be an aid IMO. I don't even think that we can change that now that I think about it as it's about the activation point.

That alone could be half the battle, as poor TC would get you into a slow lazy spin you can't do anything about if it starts fighting back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Lucas Vieira

Lucas Vieira Member

Isn't just you. I had this same feeling. And only happen with the McLaren. With any other gt3 like porsche for example, the behavior its normal (what we can expect from a gt3).

I had noticed that you can improve by changing a bit the setup, but almost every update, there are some changes in tyre models or physics, so i really dont spend that much time trying to "fix" this kind of behavior.

As we all know, its WIP and long term project, so, i know some time in the future all the things that we complain will eventually go away.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  16. azaris

It's all subjective. To me, the 720S is "easier" to drive now than it ever was before. It used to spin all the time on corner entry, now it feels manageable if you're used to mid-engine GT3 cars. Maybe it's the custom FFB that I use (Silver Raw v31) that makes many cars much more understandable, whereas the Default used to feel vague and overly loose for the McLarens. Also, if the car is looping it under braking, move the brake bias forwards and increase the ABS level. These are pretty standard adjustments you should learn to do in any simulator and any car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Nats

Nats Member

Well I have just tried all four GT3 cars around Spa with the latest patch and they all feel very easy to drive, you can literally throw them around the corners because they all have quite large understeer. Their rear never seems to give out to me, you can literally skid them around corners with no loss of stability. Whether this is realistic I cant say.

I find the GT4 a heck of a lot more demanding to drive. The GT4 BMW for example can easily lose its rear on steep acceleration and it often becomes unstable under hard braking and going fast around medium corners. You would have thought it should be the other way around? As they both have TC and ABS but GT3 are more powerful than GT4? So GT3 should be more difficult to cope with in acceleration at the very least, currently that isnt the case.

Compared to the GT4 cars the GT3 cars feel fairly boring to drive.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

It doesn't seem like it's too hard to spin a GT3 car if Bathurst 2020 is anything to go by:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Jason Pladoh

Jason Pladoh Member

On previous builds I could Push cars and feel the rear end break free and catch it, correct it, and carry on, knowing where the limit was.

But now as soon as the rear end just goes a bit loose, I'm either Sliding into a wall, onto Grass, or the car Just Spins regardless of steering input.

As an Example, I could take Griffins Bend with a slight, controlled drift and fire the car up hill, now it's braking early, drop a gear, coast round until the car is straight, then power on.

Hope this can be fixed.

J

20. mansell

mansell Member

video and telemetry or didn't happen :p

21. azaris

What a difference four months makes. :p

• Funny Funny x 1