1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things I Like & Dislike About Automobilista 2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Tarmac Terrorist, Jan 5, 2021.

1. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think you have to save the replay then play back when you are in 2D mode currently. The Microsoft Flight sim is very good for hopping in and out of VR>2D, you just map a button and you can quickly flick between the two. Ironically though, it doesn't have a replay function yet.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I tried your suggestion but indeed it’s not comfortable if you have to quit whole game, quit all VR-software (Pi-Tool, SteamVR), turn off Pimax-headset and restart game in 2D mode just for watching replay on monitor. But the TV replay cams are really great. Unfortunately they aren’t available at all in VR mode. I hope Reiza will add them for VR users too in future updates; even an option to watch TV-replay in 2D would be nice (shown directly in headset on a huge screen and/or on monitor if you take off headset).

But I found out that everytime I watch a replay it saves a copy!? Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? For example: after I watched a replay 2 times and go to replays (click on the camera icon in the main menu), where I can select a saved video to watch, it offers this video 3 times (the original one plus the copies of the 2 times I already watched it...)

• Like Like x 1
  3. John Hargreaves

Yes I think the replay is still slightly buggy it does that for me too

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

replay system needs a LOT of work, its one of the worst in any racing game. That particular bug is there since the saving was introduced.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. John Hargreaves

I enjoy watching the replays I think they really capture the excitement of the race, but the system as a whole is definitely rough around the edges.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

And again it gets better! Opala diff works as you'd expect, New Stocks are great, G58 feels so good, Group C even better. A.I. better in the wet but still drop in ability compared to their dry weather driving at same skill level, but its all going in the right direction. Bravo Reiza! (Can we have a Vauxhal Lotus Carlton please, Please, PLEASE with cherrys on top and stuff:whistle:)

7. Tarmac Terrorist

8. Tarmac Terrorist

Sorry for late reply, somehow missed this. Sure, just save the replay after you've finished your race, ther is an option to do this if you go to "view replay" at top left there is then an option to save (its an icon), save it. Jump out of VR, reboot game in normal mode, go to replays and it will be the most recent replay, once you've watched it you can then delete it to save disk space

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tarmac Terrorist

Im absoloutely loving getting to know the Lotus, its just fanatastic, A.I. need a calibration pass, but im sure that will come. But that car (especially around 1970's Spielberg), Wow what a ride!

10. Tarmac Terrorist

Lift Off Oversteer In Automobilista 2??? Tonnes Of It??? Really???

11. Tarmac Terrorist

Yup, it really exists!!! But this time, a more subtle example of it, hopefully! This is part 2

12. Tarmac Terrorist

Well after testing the sim after the new update today I am so happy! There has been some real progress and quite a few important fix'es to some long standing issues. Think I've figured out whats been done with traction control aswell!

Was very happy to make this video.

BRAVO REIZA!!!

13. Tarmac Terrorist

I have to say I am majorly impressed with the updates to the oval track A.I. paths and tire physic's for the F-USA cars.

I've been trying for a week and a half to make a video showing how the new A.I. are working at Indianapolis (the reason its taken so long is because I've been having terrible problems with VR loosing tracking and crashing to a blackout screen, only happens when im recording with OBS, otherwise its fine), so obviously I started out with the 1.5.0.5 build which already had oval A.I. improvments, and then swapped to the 1.5.0.7 build as soon as it came out, and its another big step forward!

I used to not bother racing the A.I. F-USA at ovals as they were just plain slow at 120% skill many builds ago, but since 1.5 they have continually improved to the point that now I can get a very competitive race with them at just 100%, this is great! As no matter how much I practice and work on setups, I always want to be able to make the A.I. a little faster than me, so I never run out of decent A.I. competition.

Out of Daytona, Indy, Gateway & Fontana (Have yet to try Jacarepagua) oval tracks, the biggest improvement in terms of lines and speed of the A.I. is Fontana! Even after 1.5.0.5 improvements the A.I. were still slow and took odd lines here, now in 0.7 beta they are great at just 100%!

Thankyou so much for these improvements, I can now have real good A.I. oval racing!

The improvemnt to the way the safty car comes out has also stopped the extreme A.I. slow down (like they go from top speed to pace lap speed far too quickly) and makes this much more realistic, I do hope that now thats in place it will lead to being able to make all the cars remain solid on pace laps (at the moment you can still drive through cars, including safty car during pace lap, i really dont like that).

Also during pace lap the order is now kept, if you go forward a few places it will make you go back to the exact position you need to be, or penalise you, this did'nt used to work so well!

I finally got a race recorded in VR (even though it did blackout halfway through, but I somehow managed not to crash and get it to come back and finish the race), and it was fantastic! Some of the moves the A.I. made were so impressive! I even tried to keep one out of my slipstream and every time i moved, it did aswell, it was like trying to block a human! (not that I'd do that with proper racing rules, just to tyest the A.I.

I've put both my Helmet cam and trackside cams in the video so you can see what the A.I. are doing all around me, and you will probably be able to notice the moves they pull on each other, in practice runs I've seen some amazing A.I. on A.I. battles!

Im not saying they are perfect, but they're bloody impressive! And bare in mind this was on Max Aggression!

Hope this gives a good view of the A.I. at work for anyone interested, and on a side note... Mirrors! Make sure you set them up to your liking for oval racing and try to use the Enhanced Mirror seeting in graphics, as you want as much detail in them as possible, they are paramount for oval racing!

Bravo Reiza, great work!

• Like Like x 1
  14. drummerJ99

drummerJ99 New Member

You make me want to go try some ovals now. LOL I really haven't tried them much other then a quick race at IMS. That cooldown lap was crazy.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Tarmac Terrorist

Great mate! I love the oval racing A.I. now! Do remember this was on Beta so that cool down lap behaviour might just be down to that as i've not had it happen that bad usually on Standard release