1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is Silverstone so hot?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by azaris, Feb 25, 2021.

1. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Starting a session at Silverstone and setting almost any weather condition shy of heavy clouds or rain always results in 30 C air temp and 55 C track temp conditions. Just for reference, temperatures of 30 C are fairly uncommon in the UK and happen a few days out of a year, not every single time when it's sunny. Seems like Silverstone in AMS2 is hotter than many of the tracks in Brazil, Portugal or Spain.

In combination with the well-known propensity of the left-hand tyres to overheat at Silverstone, taking any kind of high-speed vehicle (GT3 or P1) out on soft slicks will overheat both left fronts and left rear above 100 C within 1-2 laps. The AI have no problem on softs, but if the player tries to follow their pace they will immediately cook their tyres and spin off. Changing to mediums doesn't help because the AI will remain on softs and leave the player in their dust.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

It will probably take a long time before the tire temps in AMS2 does behave any near some "realism".
    As example on the historic Interlagos its impossible to drive more than 2 laps in the F-Reiza before the tires are melting (fire red) and shortly after does explode.:eek:
    Even in TT where the tires should be in optimal temp range.

ByTheWay: Dont really experienced explosion - only melting tire-butter :p

3. ControlLogix

ControlLogix Active Member

Thank you for clarifying. I was just about to load up a race at Interlagos in the F-Reiza to experience this awesome explosion. :eek:

4. BrunoB

Haha - evil man.
    Maybe I was slightly exaggerating.
    But when specially both the two front tires get not only orange but hot red after 2-2½ lap then I guess something even more drastically will happen if you are able to drive 3 or 4 laps.

Caboom :p

5. Pete Richardson

Pete Richardson Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I've been to Silverstone on a few occasions where the heat has been punishing - and you're glad to find anywhere with a small amount of shade - temperatures there of 30C are common because of the nature of the place - it's relatively flat and open, it's on high ground, and there's very little tree or coverage from nearby land so the weather there is very unusual - it can be freezing cold and raining for ages, or uncomfortably hot for ages.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Sure, Silverstone can be warm in the summer. But right now it's either ridiculous heat wave or nothing. In other sims you can take a GT3 car of your choice and hit the track on default setups and have fun lapping around. In AMS2. your tyres will melt in two laps leading to spins, frustration, and closing down AMS2.

Why does everything in AMS2 have to be so damn extreme - extreme weather, extreme grip level fluctuations, extreme grass slipperiness, extreme differential behaviour, extreme tyre grip/slip behaviour, extreme AI that either punts you off the track or completely surrenders etc.? No wonder people complain that the sim is broken/undriveable without giving it a second try when this is the typical first user experience.

7. BrunoB

Hehe and I could question back why has your assesment of AMS2 to be so extreme?:)
    Because its not "everything in AMS2" that is extremely off (IMO).
    But to answer your rhetorical question then I believe the extremeness-ish is because Reiza are struggling to control/handle/learn the madness engine.:whistle:

ByTheWay: The reason I personally dont get too frustrated about this situation is because there is some of the exaggerated strange car behaviour that point to some kind of "realism-ish" no other racing game has. Like your erratic grip fluctuations that (when better controlled) point to a much more "realistic" car behavioring against the tarmac - where ALL other existing racing sims (incl rF2 :cool:) behave way too much smoothed out compared to videos from RL.;)

8. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

I went to the British GP from 1980 to 1991 and the weather could be stiflingly hot, but of course that was in the middle of summer. I don't know if AMS2 can map weather to seasons, but I don't recall seeing the ability to set a date for an event (correct me if I'm wrong, as I've only dabbled in AMS2 so far). Despite it sometimes being so hot at Silverstone (and Brands Hatch), in 1981 it was extremely cold and we kept our jumpers and coats on for the whole day (it really was a very cold northerly wind all day).

9. kkdrummer

kkdrummer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Seasons are not in game yet. All we have is warm tracks at the moment, variations apply to weather and time of the day only. I would expect that when seasons are introduced this will change.