1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camaro SS is better than I ever imagined it could be...

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Freeway, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Freeway

Freeway Member

As many of you know, I have been very vocal about the quality of the Camaro SS in AMS2... So, with tempered expectations, I downloaded the patch that came out today for retail on steam (this patch added Historic Spa and a few FFB tweaks). I hopped in the Camaro SS to try out the revised force feedback. I dialed the Traction Control to 100 (off), made sure the tires had 29 pounds of pressure and proceeded to pull out of the pits at Nurburgring Nordschleife using my TH8a H-shifter, Fanatec Clubsport Pedals V3, Accuforce Pro V2, and the Next Level Racing Motion Platform V3. The throaty V8 sound, the motion of acceleration, shifting, and braking, the force feedback, it all flowed together to create an incredibly fun and immersive ride. How much fun did I have? Let's put it this way: Now, I cannot help but drive the AMS2 Camaro SS till I run it out of gas and then I do it again with same stupid grin on my face that I have when driving the real Camaro SS.

Long story short: I want to thank the folks at Reiza for doing such an amazing job with both the Camaro SS and the Camaro GT4r. Now my biggest complaint about the Camaro SS is simply this: The gas tank is too dang small.

Reiza, you did it again!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    • Like x 12
    • Agree x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Good to hear, I've avoided this car like the plague since we 1st started harping about it. I think I'll go try it out.

3. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

Camaros deserve more hype than minis had. In one period I saw mini leagues everywhere but maybe after this update car leagues become varied.

4. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

The Camaro SS is definitely the most driveable it's ever been, but... Does anyone else experience weird behavior when releasing the brakes?

Whenever I release the brakes at the end of a long braking zone, the car suddenly snaps around trying to kill me. It's been like this for a while, even when the car's behavior had already been improved from what it was. I can't seem to figure out what causes this. Other than that it's a joy to drive, but this quirk drives me crazy.

5. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Can you lower the front soft rebound on this car? (I can't remember if this setup function is available.) It might stop the car lifting and thus losing grip when you release the brakes.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  6. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I tried a few laps, and no i don't experience weird behavior, other then the Starsky and Hutch roadability and low speed, I think that's typical of an American "Sports" car.
    I noticed that I gradually release the brake and it is only completely released near or at the apex

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  7. Freeway

Freeway Member

Your point IS valid. For me, hard braking or downshifting does still result in an odd rotation (primarily to the left) so the quirk is definitely there. However, I find I can compensate for it with "normal" modulation. In other words, I can't quite push the car as hard as I'd like but I can still push it hard enough to have a really good time with it.

I will also note that the car drives a LOT better for me without VR. My 2080ti simply cannot push enough frames in the Reverb G2 for it to be as responsive as I need it when pushing the car to the limits.

8. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Just tried it, it's much better than it's ever been and definitely headed in the right direction. Yea I did experience the odd snap rear under heavy trailbraking. It's still not perfect but much better than it ever been, still feels a little too tippy toe driving than it should be for me but now it's actually manageable.
    I'm really glad Reiza are listening to feedback from the fans. Great job guys!

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. Freeway

Freeway Member

On March 2, 2021, I gave the Camaro SS high praise because I could drive it reasonably sensibly (at about 80 percent) in game and it was a blast. With the most recent patch (April 1 or 2), however, I can now push the car much harder. This patch has ameliorated most of the weird behavior (twisting) on hard acceleration, hard braking and/or hard downshifting. As a result, with an H-shifter and a lil heal and toe, this car is ... well ... truly excellent. I recommend everyone gives it another go. If so, you might just love driving it as much as I do in real life.

Reiza did it AGAIN!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  10. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

My main problem with the Camaro SS still is the strange idle sound to low rpm engine sound transition. It sound almost always like the engine is stalled if you use Clutch, and when some rpm is added it is audibled and normal again. Seems a lot like lousy sound design and two files that simply do not fit together.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Freeway

Freeway Member

The LT1 motor in the real Camaro SS does tend to have a rough idle.

12. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

that's not a rough idle in game, it's an barely audible idle. that does not fit in any way to the runnign sound.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  13. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I'm guessing that most of the sounds are still WIP. There are probably a lot more pressing issues to sort out with the overall game and audio at this point.

Historically speaking, audio development in racing titles comes later in the development process. Even iRacing is still undergoing overall audio developments and refinement.

14. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's been forever I did not drive the Camaro again. I just did a good session on the Nords and wow, I love it, how it handles and the FFB. It's really a unique car in AMS due to it being heavy, super powerful, H-Shifter and not 100% a race car. You can really test the extent of its abilities on the Nords.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 New Member

How is it at present?

16. XTRMNTR2K

Really good, IMHO. Hadn't driven it in some time so I gave it a try on Brands Hatch GP two days ago and it was a lot of fun. Probably the easiest and most pleasant to drive it has ever been. Sure, it's not exactly what you'd call nimble - but it's fast. Power output is very controllable now, and the car is really fun if you enjoy slightly weightier vehicles... Speaking of which, the Copa Trucks are also an absolute blast to drive with the latest updates. These had probably been the worst offenders for long-standing handling issues in the sim, much more so than the Camaro SS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Good spot. It's like night and day to what it was before. Now you still need to baby the tyres with judicious use of throttle and braking, but they more or less drive as I would have expected. Kudos, Reiza.

• Like Like x 1
  18. XTRMNTR2K

YES! So much yes. It was always important to keep them in that sweet spot between under- and oversteer, but now it's much more doable than before. Probably easier and more intuitive even than it was in AMS1 and Formula Truck 2013. To be honest I had almost given up hope to see an improvement anytime soon. Then again I know Reiza's track record, so I decided to keep hope alive. :D

And, similarly, the Camaro SS is also really good now. Although I still have to take it for a spin on a variety of tracks to be able to truly appreciate its character.

• Like Like x 1
  19. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yesterday I briefly tested Camaro on Hockenheim 77 and Bathurst. It is really excellent, very natural to drive.

Then I spent more time on the trucks (last time I did was more than 1 year ago) and had a blast ! These things are heavy, fast and tricky to drive well. I tested them on a few fast tracks to be able to push them. And as bonus, since the seat position is much higher than cars, you get to see more of the tracks and the fine art than went into them !

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 New Member

How does it drive these days? Does it feel close to the real life one?