1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMS2 Dedicated Server Tool / SteamCMD Support

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Dave Stephenson, May 29, 2020.

1. Kro

Kro Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Ya , I don't blame Reiza for this , this is SMS's doing .. it's there engine and DS system , PC2 suffers the same demise for league play .. Its doable , but with no adequate admin control in game its hit or miss for members .. And that horrible 2 min server lock out has pissed off more members than i can count , practice all week , get on server for the 1 hour practice , make it threw Q but get dumped just before race starts and cant get back in if less than 2 min in session o_O .. ..I have had to moderate our forums to may times from ppl flaming this one feature .. if you can call it a feature & with over 1000+ members the word travels fast ....This is also SMS's work .. Please Reiza can you erase this part of the mp code ?? It's sent more of our members packing away from AMS2 then any of the awesome driving can bring in ..:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Xyonix

Xyonix New Member

Trying to get this setup on a Google Cloud server running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS using wine. Anyone else have success and can help?

So far I've done all of the of the following from a fresh VM installation:

Create Steam user and go to it's directory:
    sudo useradd -m steam
    sudo passwd steam
    cd /home/steam

perform updates, add packages, install steamcmd:
    sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
    sudo apt install software-properties-common
    sudo add-apt-repository multiverse
    sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install lib32gcc1 steamcmd

Link steamcmd executable file:
    sudo ln -s /usr/games/steamcmd steamcmd

Switch to steam user, run steamcmd, install dedicated server files:
    su steam
    steamcmd
    @sSteamCmdForcePlatformType windows
    login anonymous
    force_install_dir home/steam/ams2
    app_update 1338040 validate
    quit

That's as far as I've got (haven't even gotten to wine yet). running the app_update 1338040 displays the following message:
    Update state (0x5) verifying install, progress: 0.31 (49432 / 15759854)
    Success! App '1338040' fully installed.

However, when I go do the directory /home/steam there is no ams2 folder and corresponding files.

I'm very new with Linux, so be gentle :)

3. Xyonix

Xyonix New Member

figured out what was causing my issue.

the following line:
    force_install_dir home/steam/ams2
    needed to be:
    force_install_dir /home/steam/ams2

I'll carry on and see if I can get this thing to work.. lol

4. Roberto Robson

Roberto Robson New Member

this project can help you!
    betorobson/pc2-ams2-ds-betorobson

5. Defmexia

Defmexia New Member AMS2 Club Member

Having trouble setting the opponent difficulty in the dedicated server to the equivalent of that from a created lobby.

Say for example it was set to 85 in the lobbies and the same value in the server configuration. The AI laptimes may be 3 secs quicker.

I think it might be caused by the limits 70-120 in the game lobby and 0-100 in the dedicated server. Any one else have this issue and known roughly the conversion?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  6. Xyonix

Xyonix New Member

At some point I'm going to have to figure out this docker and containers thing.. :)

In the meantime, aside from fixing the force directory issue. I also installed wine-development and tried running the dedicated server file after setting up the server.cfg file. It looked like everything ran properly, but the server didn't show up in the lobby. I made sure all the proper ports were forwarded (same ones I got to work on a Windows server).

I've got ACC running using the same process.

Anyone else get this working using similar methods?

7. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

I am running it directly with the wine-stable distro on debian buster but run with wine64 to force the 64 bit program to run since the DS executable is 32 bit and you need a 64 bit environment if you want to host more than 16 people. When launching i always had a minor error so I just researched a missing dependency to show all the server outputs and since then it has been running without hiccups... well, except for the fact the DS is a rebroadcaster and still needs a host to "be active", that the host migration bug needs fixing, that after a while the host's session is bugged and stops loading new players (visually), that you can't have more than 20 people on Nordschleife or the server becomes unstable and lags & drops people, that the DS program needs a complete restart when it hangs on a soft reboot or that it needs more admin controls. (In other words, you can see that the DS was really cobbled together back in pCars1 WMD development days)

Aside for that, all good.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Xyonix

Xyonix New Member

Yeah, gonna just trash this project for now and stick with running ACC events with our club. We've got some people interested in doing some open wheel stuff though, maybe we'll go back to AC for that until this sim is ready.

9. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

I know you told me this in the past and I'm not sure I fully understood this as I'm not that smart.
    But do you mean:
    1. Install the DS on the same PC as you are running the game.
    2. Have the correct ports forwarded on your router for the DS to your gaming PC.
    3. Have a basic server config file with the server name and password ready to go on your gaming PC.
    4. Add the "-selectDS" to the launchparameters of AMS2 as you launch the game.
    5. Go into the multiplayer browser in AMS2.
    6. Select Create a lobby.

And then at that point, you can control the DS multiplayer lobby on you gaming PC?

10. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

After step 6 in your list instead of jumping straight into lobby like it would when you create a multiplayer game without -selectds set it will do a search for available dedicated servers, select your server and your game client will pass the settings over to the dedi and create the lobby

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Neil D Corfield

Neil D Corfield R3D M15T

i had a similar problem to start with
    //"AllowablePenaltyTime" : 5, not sure if yours is the same had to delete or cancel it as shown.

12. Neil D Corfield

Neil D Corfield R3D M15T

Hello Just got a dedicated server running,
    Working well, all except one things in one of the rotation, I wish to have ( X60) on the time, for a mini esk endurance race running 10 laps.
    See Below.

// Track and vehicle class. Should be identical to the first session above.
    "TrackId" : "Bathurst_2020",
    "VehicleClassId" : "P3",
    //"VehicleModelId" : "MCR S2000",

// Session length / time overrides. For multi-race events leave practice length at 0 and qualifying at 5.
    "PracticeLength" : 6,
    "PracticeDateHour" : 0,
    "QualifyLength" : 12,
    "QualifyDateHour" : 15,
    "RaceLength" : 10,
    "RaceDateHour" : 17,
    "RaceDateProgression" : 60,

// Optional mandatory pit stop, rolling start, and formation lap. Formation lap works for rolling start only.
    "RaceMandatoryPitStops" : 1,
    //"RaceRollingStart" : 0,
    //"RaceFormationLap" : 0,

// Race weather overrides.
    //"RaceWeatherSlots" : 3,
    //"RaceWeatherSlot1" : "LightCloud",
    //"RaceWeatherSlot2" : "Hazy",
    //"RaceWeatherSlot3" : "Clear",
    //"RaceWeatherSlot4" : "LightCloud",
    },

However this seem not to do laps like all the others, and in fact creates a 10 min countdown.
    With no X60 time lapse. I would like to drive through the night.

If anyone can help that would be great. !

13. Dave Stephenson

AllowableTimePenalty was removed some time ago when the track cut system was updated on the client side. A new setting was introduced in it's place "AllowedCutsBeforePenalty". Default for that is also 5 iirc

14. Dams

Dams Member

Hello
    do you manage to adjust the track and track temperatures?
    If yes, how ?

15. Dave Stephenson

They are not adjustable. They are determined by the environment and weather system.

16. Dams

Dams Member

Hello
    following today's update the server bug.
    the pilots disappear then appear with a rise in ping.
    it was not present before

17. Claudio Araujo de Almeida

Claudio Araujo de Almeida New Member

Why some DS don't show in lobby after last update?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

OK FINALLY!!! I got the the "Ready Input button" to show up and have no AI in the lobby. I now have an idea where the bug is after a lot of testing.
    If you build the "server.cfg" file with most of the settings the way you want in the file, the DS will respect all the options you specify. However, some settings/flags are unknown because there is no documentation:
    eg: The flag for "time progression",
    eg: How to select different classes and cars for multiclass races. Apparently seperating them by commas doesn't work or giving different values to the same flag line after line.

The issues happen when you use the Web GUI to change any setting on the DS, as soon as you do that bam! The "Wait for Race Ready Input" stops working, the AI might show up, etc etc etc. Because I don't know all the different flags, I would get the DS close enough and the jump on the WebGUI and immediately change a bunch of variables to suit what I wanted but apparently this broke the settings on the DS and I could NEVER get the DS to work correctly. Thus the constant frustration and disagreement with others in this thread. I really thought I was going insane.

It seems the issue lies with the WebGUI and when changes are pushed to the server, something is getting lost in translation, either the wrong values are being pushed for certain flags or flags for other attributes are being reset to default when other flags are changed. This same issue happens with PCars2 and AMS2 DS. It seems like a bug carried over from the PCars2 DS. I wasted a lot of hours troubleshooting and tracking these issues down but I'm hoping someone can finally look into this and help fix it, so the WebGUI works the way we expect it to.

BTW the "-selectDS" option never worked for me in both PCars2 and AMS2. When the DS is launched on the same PC as the game, it refuses to show up on the multiplayer DS lobby.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Neil D Corfield

Neil D Corfield R3D M15T

Not sure if anyone can guide me, we have a rented server for AMS2 but are experiencing issues with really bad syncing. In some cases cars appear and disappear, others have connection issues on joining simultaneously noticed this with other sever connects. AI options in server side do not match in games server settings on occasion almost like some other persistency exists.

Is this a bug ?
    Do others have the same issue ?

Really want to support the community with a server for races, but currently feel that it is unstable ?

20. Neil D Corfield

Neil D Corfield R3D M15T

Yes we have the same issue, I guess apply a little math to it !
    120/100*n
    Either trial and error it seemed to work for us on our server.
    I reckon that 84 must be 100 on normal.

• Like Like x 1