1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Understeer & oversteer with the 962

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by F_B, Mar 5, 2021.

1. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Although I love the new Group C cars I have a hard time with the Porsche 962 and its default setup respectively how it behaves. Especially on corner entry it is understeering like a pig, so I decide to work against that via little throttle inputs to let the back of the car come around again. It is a "back and forth" game this way....and it works somehow but I wonder if there's something in the setup that can cure this? I really have the feeling there is absolutely no grip on the front tires, the car just tends to drive straight instead of going around (narrow) corners.

Perhaps the 962 was quite understeery?

2. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Go to the setup and turn Spool OFF.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. F_B

Did that already, still much understeer.

4. Wilfred de Ruijter

Wilfred de Ruijter Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I had the same problem with the C9. It wouldn't rotate (understeer). So I changed Power Ramp and Coast Ramp. Coast Ramp is used at turn-in and Power Ramp is used to go on throttle. That way I gained several seconds with one lap of Spa.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Right now the best way to combat this for me is to max out the "coast" setting in the diff. This will give as much off throttle rotation as we can get in game at the moment. Sway bars can help a bit as well (stiffer rear, softer front) but it's related to the diff locking issue they are working on. It's getting better, but I think they acknowledged there's some work to be done still.

6. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

I actually didn't mind it, even with the spool on. Do you continue to brake after turning in, easing off the brakes as you approach the apex? I've only driven it at Spa and Silverstone, but I could get it into the corners fine and drift it on the power on exit - it felt quite good.

7. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Which way did you change them up or down and by how much?

8. F1Aussie

Does anyone have any issues with the cars, any cars that is, including the Group C spinning out when you trail brake?
    It happens to me all the time even when I am releasing the brake pressure when turning, have not noticed this in any other Sim.

9. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Try LSD 110/8/77/38 as a starting point.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

I have tried this car recently and it shows similar symptoms as Formula retro and vintage, bur maybe not as bad. Its most probably a LSD problem, that still hadnt been fixed after many attempts, I really dont know how they can release a car that does this and LSD tuning some times doesnt even work the way it should. May be in combination with lack of front grip, hard to say but its annoying. Massive oversteer on power and massive understeer on turnin... who would ever want to drive a car like that let alone compete in? (rethorical question obviously)

EDIT: actually group C porsche isnt as bad on turn in even on default setup but it does have a lot of steering range of motion

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Member

Only with the default C9. 962 feels quite alright (default) to me.

Cheers
    Robin

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes. AMS2 seems to be the hardest sim by far for trail braking. Either the balance is too far back and the car spins very easily when trail braking, or it's too far forward and nothing happens. Oddly, mid-corner brake application helps turning just fine so it's not like the underlying physics isn't modelling weight transfer properly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

@steelreserv 's videos are always interesting to watch. Here, he analyses the Porsche's default setup:

14. F_B

Thanks for all of your inputs so far, quite informative and helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

Yes, I have had problems with the 911 GT3 and 911 GT1, which are the cars I've spent the most time in recently. When driving the GT1 at Oulton Park and I found myself spinning in the slow corners very frequently, to the point where I found myself driving very timidly, which is no good at all for a good lap time, so I decided to spend some time working out why. By default it has 0 degrees rear toe, so I added a little positive tow and can now drive in an attacking manner, even in the slow corners I previously had so much trouble with. AMS2 is the only sim so far that's made me feel like a novice, but this simple change has made it so much better, to the point where it is becoming comparable to rFactor 2 or even ACC (which has its own rear end vagueness problems). It still feels a little bouncy, still makes me feel a little queasy (I use VR) and the brakes still don't have a feel that I like, but it is slowly improving.

16. Pieter Nienhuis

Pieter Nienhuis Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks !!

17. F1Aussie

Good to know it is not just me then, when you say balance are you talking weight or brake balance?

18. F1Aussie

I always add positive rear toe to all cars I drive as one of the first setup changes, it settles the rear end quite well but I can still easily spin at times with trail braking, find it tough to find a consistent setting to get controllable braking. I am hoping it is an issue in the physics and something they can iron out then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

I haven’t been sim racing for long and most of my time has been the last year in AMS2 so I don’t know if it’s predominantly a thing in this game more than others but adding 0.3-0.8 positive rear toe is one of the things I usually do first. As you say it makes a real difference in settling the back of the car and I haven’t noticed any real detriment in added tyre heat or scrub.

Steel’s set up videos have given me enough information to play around with the diff to a point where I can usually get a car to comfortably pivot whilst also powering out of corners but, again as a relative newbie, I’m not sure quite what the issue is with the differential settings that many have picked up on. That’s something I’m keen to keep my eye on and see where we end up with changes there.

• Like Like x 1
  20. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Coast goes up (for me i run max in most cars). The higher it goes the better turn in response you'll get. The Power determines how much spin you get out of corners and how much rotation under throttle. I usually leave this one alone or make very small adjustments.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1