AMS1 working in VR

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by mr_belowski, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Niels Heusinkveld

Niels Heusinkveld Moderator Staff Member

Hmm, but the Valve can do 144hz (perhaps you can actually reach that with AMS1?) and has a bit more FOV and I found the image to be pretty good already.. Sorry we're derailing this thread!

2. M.Guenette

M.Guenette Member AMS2 Club Member

144hz is simply not possible with AMS VR , ACC , or Raceroom unless you would like to severely lower the resolution scaling to well below the native screen resolution . This will deteriorate graphics and clarity to a very poor level. The HP Reverb G2 has the highest native resolution available to date and there is a couple FOV mods that will widen things up if you feel the need. The first time I put on my HP Reverb G2 I was blown away by the super sharp visuals. It was as clear and sharp as my ASUS 1440P 165hz Triple monitors ! There is no way I could go back to triples after witnessing the super immersion that VR brings to Automobilista o_O

My current System Specs
    Windows 10 64bit
    Intel I7 9700K @4.9ghz
    16GB DDR4 3400mhz
    RTX 3080

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  3. Niels Heusinkveld

Niels Heusinkveld Moderator Staff Member

Hmm ok. Well there surely is only one FOV for VR, and that is the 'correct' one? But I think I will get the HP, if anything to compare to the Index of my friend.
    I am probably in trouble with my 2070 super and I5 4690k at 4.6.. Its fine for 3x 144hz 2560x1440 AMS ..

4. Frank Alexandre

Frank Alexandre Member AMS2 Club Member

Two more cars...i wanna stop but anytime i test a new car i'm love. Fvee is GPL baby for sure.
    I have included the cam file with small clipplanes now.

Fvee - Automobilista\GameData\Vehicles\F_Vee

F309 - Automobilista\GameData\Vehicles\F3\F309

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. M.Guenette

Yes , A great VR experience requires a beefy CPU / GPU combination indeed. Each head set comes with a measured degrees of FOV. The valve has a higher FOV but with a significantly lower native resolution. The wireless controllers are better with the Valve Index but my HP Reverb G2 was purchased solely for sim racing which doesn't use controllers. BTW the G2 controller aren't bad there just not as good as the Valve Index controllers.

6. M.Guenette

Thanks so much for these definite visual upgrade Arms Frank Alexandre !! Quite an improvement for sure ;)

• Like Like x 2
  7. keith windsor

keith windsor Active Member AMS2 Club Member

F3, another of the all time greats, thanks Frank.

8. Bjarne Hansen

Bjarne Hansen Member AMS2 Club Member

No different headsets got different FOV
    The valve index got a little larger than the WMR/ Rift S and the Pimax even more.
    I believe AMS is limited to 100 unless you do some cheat engine? But 100 is prefect for a WMR.
    Also didn't see anyone complaining about fov with the Valve Index?

With AMS you will not load up the GPU. I got a normal RTX 2070 and it never gets loaded but the CPU will.
    Turning off SweetFX and you will be not have any issues with your Cpu and Gpu.

9. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member

There are 2 fov values here - the one the game sees, which affects object culling, and the one used to render the final frame (the projection matrix). The next update (which has been sat on my dev box for months) combines these so the fov derived from steamvr's projection matrix is used to override the in game fov, fixing the remaining culling issues on wider fov headsets like the index

• Like Like x 4
  10. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I can confirm that this VR mod works with my Pimax 5k+ headset, with no more steps other than following the instructions. The only thing to note is that even though the instructions say that SteamVR should be running before starting AMS, I can't get it to launch in VR if SteamVR Home is active (or even the SteamVR menu). Then it just launches the desktop version in cinema mode or whatever it's called. So since I don't have any controllers, the simplest way for me to start AMS in VR is to run another VR app first (such as Virtual Desktop) and then start AMS.

11. Mital

Mital New Member

first of all thanks to you guys at crewchief for this amazing work. I got into vr really early and like so many others just could not go back to 2d simracing after experiencing the virtual world. The only downside was i couldn't play my favorite sim AMS anymore. I have tried raceroom, pcars 1+2, assetto, rfactor 2 and AMS2 but this is still for me the best of the lot for handling and force feedback and especially AI. This for me is like a new sim again and i will most certainly be donating a few bucks to you guys for your work here!

Just 2 questions:
    1: Is it possible to adjust the wing mirrors like you can in rfactor 2?
    2: Is there a way to get the arms visible on the EEC GT3 mod?

• Like Like x 1
  12. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member

1: no, sorry. We did look at overhauling the way the mirrors are rendered but it's very complicated even with source access (which, of course, we don't have)
    2: there are some posts earlier in this thread discussing drivers' arms, perhaps there's something useful there, I don't know

13. Bjarne Hansen

Bjarne Hansen Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes you can.
    But gmotor2 games like AMS are only using a single cam for rearview mirrors so you can't adjust the mirrors individual.

What ever key you use for seat movement + left shift.
    Very slow and movement extend are limited.
    Also make sure in your .plr file you got
    Moving Rearview="1" or "3"

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mital

Mital New Member

no worries, thanks for responding anyway! Is there any other way to donate beside using paypal! I closed my account a while back and you guys deserve something for this work!

15. Mital

Mital New Member

Thanks for the reply, tried using the seat + left shift but mirrors barely move at all and checked the .plr file and that was on 1. I will just have to make do the way it is.

16. Wakkaman

Wakkaman New Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree the HP reverb g2 is easily the sharpest affordable commercial headset. Most games I can't even play on 3000x..... resolution what the Hp g2 is basically capable of. But 2160x2160 per eye native res is already really sharp.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tambe

Tambe Member

Do you know any way to solve the problem when exiting with the ESC key?

18. keith windsor

Have you followed the instructions in the readme? :

- In Settings, go to Display and on the Display page change "Exit confirmation menu" to false (the VR plugin doesn't work properly with the exit confirmation menu)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tambe

Tambe Member

I already did that, and when I give ESC the game freezes

20. keith windsor

Ah, sorry, I don't know what else to suggest then.

• Like Like x 1