1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.1.2.0 RELEASED - Now updated to v1.1.2.5

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Split Second

Split Second Active Member

Also do you see how you are now making excuses (not to set bad blood by the way)? The set up could be better, every sim has its quirks. Then point them to these quirks. It is great footage you have shown. Look how connected that it is. The car is not stepping away and also with the camera it looks like a direct translation with what is going on. If you see footage like the behaviour in your footage then I would like to see it, because I haven't seen it.

2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

It's not floating for me, at least. It's not the most direct reaction to steering inputs in this view, but also nothing uncomfortable when behind the wheel and pedals. Maybe other people might see it different, i don't know. I just know, that i'm complaining a lot about physics quirks in AMS2, but this is not really one for me.
    Yes, but that's also, what happens, if the car is set up and driven by people, actually knowing how to handle it properly without overdriving it out of a chicane like me. (It's not a 962C anyway)

Yes, it's what a t r u e racing driver does! Looking for excuses :p

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  3. Split Second

Yeah maybe you don't have problems with it, that is fair enough.
    Now you come up with a few more, again the set up (no it isn't the set up imo), and the drivers now are much better now. But that isn't the root of the problem imo.
    So we need to stop using that as cover. We also see other not-so-good drivers driving these cars and they also don't have that problem. And also the cars in the real life footage don't seem to be floating (unless that one footage which was certainly a good representation of it). I again think it is a combination of things. And each of these points can be tackled I think. Certainly with this team and one that take their time to get things right.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CrimsonEminence

And with that, i think, there is nothing more to discuss, because we both have made up our minds, but just one of us both has actually driven it.^^
    Happy racing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Split Second

That is kind of a cheap shot. And a bit disappointing. It is also sad to see that you have your mind made up. I am always willing to discuss and adjust (that's why I said if you have seen it in real life and have footage, which you haven't given). And willing to change my opinion (like the first footage you have shown). But yeah happy racing :(

6. CrimsonEminence

Mate, i can't deliver you good helmet mounted Gr.C footage, from a time, where these beasts go at full boost pressure and 110% push, because i can't find some.

I can just show you a well set-up car in race condition from real life, probably tuned dampers after telemetry and less reckless driving that will definetly differ from what is happening in the simulation but still shows, that the simulation is not perfect, but also not totally off, when looking at the drivers helmet at least and the difference in speeds.

You have seen, that "connected to the road" is a half-myth with the Goodwood race, you have a point that it might be mushy in AMS2 and pC2, but you haven't driven the sim and even if i would find this hard to obtain footage, it would be still hard to discuss on this base.

7. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

I'm sorry, but the only way you can change or confirm your guesses, it's by actually driving in the sim.

Only by looking at videos, it's not enough I'm affraid.

8. Split Second

Sure fair. But it is you that says about coming out of the low downforce corner and such. It is you that allude to it that this happens in real life. While in the same post you show footage that shows it isn't exactly true. Those cars were there for endurance, not to kill you. Then you blame it on quirks of the sim, set up, and lack of good driving.
    I have never said that AMS 2 is totally off. Otherwise, I would not believe in them or be here. You also show that yes the floatiness can be real, but you base it on footage on also cars that can be found in gangster movies.
    And yes I agree it is hard to discuss. But that doesn't mean that it isn't important.
    But I guess we have said what we wanted to say. And there seems to be some overlap in our conclusion and some differences. So I guess it was a good one.

9. DaveC187

DaveC187 Member

@Split Second
    What are your camera settings? G force? World movement? Legacy? All of these will affect how the cockpit behaves.

10. Split Second

I personally disagree. Maybe it is because I have driven so many racing games. But most of the time I know how it feels even when not driving. That is what I have found out. But fair enough. If you say I am totally wrong, that is fair. Maybe my eyes are deceiving me and I am seeing it wrong. It always could be.

11. Split Second

Boy, I must be some weirdo. Caring for a sim I have never driven ;). I hesitated to post here. Because it is so weird. But I do because I care. Sorry to be involved :(. It is because I see these things that could make this sim even better. And it is hard to keep it for me. Maybe I should stop posting. And if you guys/girls feel the same way it will surface automatically.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. CrimsonEminence

Yes, i come out of a low downforce section with 2% under highest boost pressure and overdriving a chicane, this is probably playing shenanigans with the physics engine AND real life. :D

These cars were technically relatively loose regulated purpose built race cars. They were built for endurance, but they were deathly dangerous.

Of course it's a quirk of the sim to one extend and also bad damper setup and lack of good driving. Like you said, a combination of things. But assuming, it's totally wrong, because pCars2 with the seta tire model also did it, is also, what i mean with made up mind.^^

It's rubber on tarmac. The rubber of these Gr.C beasts will likely stand less slip angle and provide more grip, of course, assisted by aerodynamic downforce.

No bad blood mate.
    Again: I don't disagree, that you might have a point. And you see the car from the outside moving pretty appropriately, while in the cockpit can it makes this floaty impression to you. There can be so many reasons, why this looks and occurs the way it does.

That's not making excuses, that's being careful with making assumptions, because i was wrong in the past. (Assuming and discussing with the lead dev, the Opala OldStocks would be grippier, than they're in AMS2 for example and afterwards seeing actual footage of them, floating around IRL in the dry, as if they were on a wet track)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Split Second

Ok good post again.
    Yeah I don't see these problems in the replay (so the camera seems to account for a lot of the problems here) . I think we both are true. It is a mix and both are right and wrong in a way. But good discussion.:)

• Like Like x 1
  14. CrimsonEminence

Yeah. I'm happy that it hasn't ended in ad-hominem style sim-war, like the internet provides too often :D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

To me AMS2 has probably the most connected feel to the road/tyres and suspension.
    After all a car chassis is floating as the tyres and suspension are doing the work.
    Yes other sims can feel more planted or easier to drive, but is that a good thing or something people have become accustomed too.
    People don't like change.
    AMS2 has more detail in the tyres than some sims have in their entire physics model.
    I'm not saying AMS2 is perfect but I'm telling you it won't be long before this Sim takes off big time.
    Spend a little time, set up the game and try to learn a few cars/track combos.
    Then try going back to your old favourite Sim...

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. CrimsonEminence

I still love some aspects of AMS1 and some other titles more for some reasons. :D

But AMS2 has a "living&breathing" feeling 911 GT1-98, that can take kerbs and a 962C, that has an option to be set as a spool and the better last gen Stock Car Brasil IMO....while driving it in the rain....with an actually not all over the place weather-AI...

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

What is actually interesting here from comparison's sake regarding throttle application and sliding is that the revs are low and it doesn't sound like a lot is happening. The engine's torque just unsettles the rear and turns it into a small slide when exiting Rettifilo. With AMS2's turbo GrC cars you get less of that exact scenario, because in that same situation all the boost pressure has gone away and you're operating well below the turbo threshold. But then the boost kicks you in the face after a second or so as you step on it thinking "I can get away with this amount of throttle" :D. So the squirming will happen a bit later into the exit than with an NA engine where you get most of the torque instantly and start modulating from there.

Edit: although now that I think about it, that engine is really high revving. So I wonder if it had that much torque at those RPMs... plus the crazy GrC cars were about the same engine size + lots of boost. In fact the Sauber C9 had a 5L V8 with twin turbos :eek:. What was in the water in the 80s?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. CrimsonEminence

Yeah, i have also chosen this onboard, because of its good quality (more than the engine concept, that makes a relatively bad comparison, tbh.) and the racing is a good watch, btw..

The turbo threshold of the 962C at full boost is indeed a lot more violent and less predictable for unexperienced use in such situations, than stamping on the NA throttle of the Jaguar. Also like stated, the driver in this video actually drives it in a sane manner, instead of totally abusing the kerbs and running over it like a complete imbecile, that i was :D

19. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

@Split Second May I ask why you haven’t tried AMS2? No PC at the moment maybe?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Replying to you is a waste of time. If exchanging opinions in a civil way on what someone thinks it's reasonable and what is not hurts your feeling when someone has a different opinion from yours it's your problem, get over it.

• Winner Winner x 1