1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.1.2.0 RELEASED - Now updated to v1.1.2.5

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 28, 2021.

1. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

It's a bug. I was interested, if it also happens, if the files get changed between players, apparently they do. Thanks for the information!^^

2. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Could you maybe elaborate this a bit?
    I mean elaborate based of what you feel when you drive some of the cars in AMS2 - and not based on the more entertaining outpourings from the creators of as example the Madness engine.
    Hehe or the most fanboy-ish outpourings from the most affectionate AMS2 tifosis :D

ByTheWay: Im asking because eventhough I feel and consider the behaviour of certain (!) cars in AMS2 as more "convincing" than cars in competing racing games - then I dont consider AMS2 as something completely different than (yes) just another racing game.:)

3. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Ok.

First off, maybe ‘paradigm’ was a bit of a clumsy choice of word. What I was trying to say was regarding judging a sim from videos alone (and comparing it to either real onboard footage or other sims) does not really tell the full story because we are not comparing like for like.

A developer has to make certain decisions about what they simulate and how they do it. So things such as camera movement are not exact copies of reality -they can’t be. A real life onboard camera is not trying to convince the viewer that they are the driver. It is just a camera (usually fixed). A simulator on the other hand is trying to convince the player they are the driver. So design decisions are made to enable that ‘trick’. The camera, the ffb, haptic feedback (buttkickers etc), the sound all contribute to this trick.

To me, having the camera set to legacy mode with world movement at 0 gives the most realistic feeling. However, I find it slightly uncomfortable, so I set WM to 25. Other people prefer the new camera mode, which to me feels very disconnected and frankly, weird.

So I as a player can quickly change a single setting and suddenly the game feels odd / floaty / weird. So therefore I think it’s a a fair assumption to say that watching videos alone does not really enable the viewer to judge the accuracy of the physics simulation.

We all know that the Madness camera is different to other sims, so how can a comparison be made from videos? Similarly, from my limited understanding, Madness uses quite a different tyre model to other sims. So whether you have played 100s of hours of AC or watched 100s of hours of onboard videos it is pretty irrelevant, the total experience is what should be compared, if one has not experienced a simulation with their own settings, passively comparing videos does not tell the full story, that is what I meant when I used the word ‘paradigm’. Maybe I should have said ‘we are not comparing apples with apples’. Also, the assumption is being made that the other sims are ‘right’, when really, there is no ‘right’.

Photos and videos are not reality, they are a facsimile of reality. I’ve seen landscape paintings that give me a better feeling of a place than a photo of that place. I could spend all day telling you what a mango tastes like, I could show you thousands of photos of mangoes, but unless you taste a mango, you will never know. Ok, so you are a fruit expert, you’ve eaten hundreds of other fruits from all around the world, it doesn’t change a single thing, a mango is a mango. Maybe we could agree that the texture is similar to a peach, but it doesn’t really help. It’s a different fruit (paradigm)!

Certain cars in AMS2 feel amazingly believable to me (F trainer for example), I have never experienced this in another sim, I don’t believe this could be deduced from a video. (Btw, some cars don’t feel great too).

If I had the inclination I could find YT videos of AMS2 looking really believable (Race Beyond Matter or Boosted Media), and I could equally find videos where it looks flat or floaty. So I can draw no (or very limited) conclusions from those videos. Now compare from sim to sim or sim to real life and we are really not able to conclude anything meaningful.

By the way, what happens if you write a post and there is nothing more to say at the end....? Do you intentionally split your posts, or do you not post until you do? ;)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

Now we're asking the real questions! Lets get to the bottom of this. :p

ByTheWay: I understand the paradigm thing. The way bumps, grip and FFB is handled throughout is different and really clicks with me. A lot of stuff works in a unique way and is not comparable to the known sim world. Someone else might value correct end result higher even if via simplified physical modeling. And I also like those other sims where it's like this. But ultimately the simulation of all the driving feel detail is what draws me back in, not great competitive online logic, inputs matching 1:1 with the real thing and so on. I do of course hope that AMS2 is also realistic and I don't have to relearn how to drive. But on the other hand nothing is ever perfectly realistic and you always have to relearn how to drive to a degree. I value great awareness of the car over learned inputs from sim B translating over. ARC Camaro is nothing like a GT3 car so it doesn't matter how much you know how to drive GT3 in sim B.

PS. I'm not teasing about the BTW. I've also been wondering about that paradigm :D.

5. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I am. Imagine being this blokes girlfriend or boyfriend or housemate or pet..

Have you seen the car keys..?

The car keys are under the newspaper on the kitchen table..

Thanks.. Cya gotta run..

Oh wait...! By the way did you know that keys appeared some 6 thousand years ago in ancient Egypt bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla..!

Oh boy here we go again. Silly me I should have set my alarm earlier.. :confused::(

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Split Second

Split Second Active Member

Ok the next videos make clear what I meant.
    Look at this video (it happens in other parts of the video as well) at 5:45 and look how the front reacts (and you see that in other cars as well) both in cockpit as wel as replay cam.

And then look at this and you see non of this behavior.

7. Coanda

You can get away with it in AMS2 because the walls don't bight and omit a full force of 25 Nm (DD2) on impact. There are many non power steering race cars that fall in the 30-60 Nm range. I wonder if one day there will be a DD wheel capable of matching a Indy Car at 1:1..?

I do it for the V8 Supercar in iR because going off the data it has a max steering force of 23 Nm so my DD2 has this covered and wont clip. For vehicles heavily above 25 Nm one has to decide between detail or wheel weight as it will clip. For my Formula wheel I would never go above 17-18 Nm as that wheel will take a thumb clean off. My 320mm GT2 rim is no problem. I often race KartKraft 15+ Nm which is realistic according to the developer and a bloody good workout. I guess I bought a powerful motor to sometimes be closer to real life. Generally though I run things light to medium..

8. CrimsonEminence

It was mentioned quite often now, that Gr.A still awaits some review, because the class is "half-broken". This is already acknowledged for this case and definetly not normal.

9. Split Second

I did not know that. But I can show this behaviour of any car in the sim.

10. CrimsonEminence

You can show it in cockpit cam. For the replay side, you saw yesterday, that it's different for Gr.C, for example.

Please don't let us do this pointless discussion again, because what you see in this video you have posted above, is not the same, we've discussed yesterday.

11. Split Second

Look at 3:43 and 4:05 and some other places.

12. CrimsonEminence

What should we be supposed to see there?

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Split Second

You see the same behavior. Only the tyre isn't pulled off the road here.
    If I see more obvious stuff then I will let you know. It seems also connected with the car more easily slipping away when it happens.

14. Coanda

Lets all chip in a buy this guy a wheel.. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. CrimsonEminence

I see road-mesh influence, nothing unusual. Guapore is not a smooth track. I don't see any unusual squat or single tire lifting. I might see quite much of longitudinal grip sometimes there, actually, but nothing completely out-of-place.
    @Alistair McKinley
    Were you experiencing unusual behavior of suspension oscillation or dive/squat at the timestamps, noted above with your C9 video?

16. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I read your lengty post - and at least appreciate you tried to explain what you meant with your "paradigm" comment.
    But I have to say that Im not much interested in all your considerations about videos of how AMS2 looks (on Youtube I guess).
    We all own AMS2 so lets base talk about the physics and tire model of how it feels behind our plastic wheel.:D
    And your camera considerations in AMS2 is OK interesting - but have not enourmous relevance when we discuss if the physics and TM in AMS2 express a completely other paradigm than all other racing sims.
    My own oppinion about the physics and TM part of the Madness engine is that just like similiar engines in as example iRacing and rF2 are different - none of them does represent anything completely new - hehe or next-gen.
    They are just different from each other - because they feels different.:cool:
    The "only" thing Reiza has done is to input different parameters into the existing pCars2 Madness engine.
    And "only" here does NOT mean something quite insignificant ;)

ByTheWay: If Reiza changed the camera settings (like solved the legacy/non-legacy problems :p) then I guess nobody would say: Oh AMS2 has now got a completely new paradigm conserning the physics and tire model. ;)

Quite honestly I dont understand what the meaning is with this last part. Is there a point?

17. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

Or remove his internet. :p

• Funny Funny x 7
  18. Coanda

haha good one!

nah he's alright..

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  19. Split Second

Do you guys want me to stop? Because I don't want to become the whiney guy that is just plain wrong. Am I seeing ghosts? I can see it in every car but the extent to how much the car is lifted depends on the car. But if nobody sees it that way and is fine with it, then I just stop. Imo most of the spins seem to be connected to how the weight is transferred and how the car seems to pull and maybe it also have something to do with the bounciness.
    And for the wheel. If I really wanted I can buy a wheel. I just find it expensive for just one genre and the problem is that I don't have the place for it. But this is the first time I am getting pulled to buying one and playing more on PC this and DCS (now we are talking a joystick too :) )

20. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

there are a couple of iRacing guys that run big 70Nm servo's but, they don't run them at full power. They mainly use them for their natural characteristics in regard to inertia.

• Like Like x 1