1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.1.2.0 RELEASED - Now updated to v1.1.2.5

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 28, 2021.

1. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Like stated, i can vouch for that. The guy is new to a wheel, switching from a controller to it. ^^' (not kidding)
    I have not one single time experienced any wrecker in the events of this group, i was driving a lot of races with them in AMS1. But it's also not a full league, but fun races, so skill gap and experience spread is high.

2. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Interesting. I haven't tried tuning it out with dampers, etc. In fact there's a debate to be had about Reiza's default setups. Should they be nearer the ideal or does leaving a lot of room for improvement add depth to the gameplay for setup enthusiasts? But that is going off-topic...

3. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, debatable subject, that indeed. I don't think Dev's should make super-fast default setups but, leave room for improvement. Of course, drivers have their own preferences anyway. Having stable setup's out of the box makes sense (Slight under-steer).

It might be interesting to have some designated cars with poor setup's to trouble-shoot though, as a sort-of learning tool. :p:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. CrimsonEminence

How do you like the GT1 default setups? Are they drivable out of the box?

5. Dean Ogurek

I haven't driven those as much as I should but, I plan on spending more time with them. I tend to drive the default setup for quite a while before making changes (unless the default is really too far off). I prefer a slight over-steer tendency but, neutral is good too.

6. CrimsonEminence

Let me know, how you find the GT1 cars, after testing the defaults. :)

7. Dean Ogurek

Here are my impressions after running the GT1 cars on Velo Citta' Track Day course. I chose this track for it's curves and tight corners, emphasis on mechanical grip. It lacks the long sections to stretch these car's legs but, it's great for Touring Cars and the like.

Porsche GT1: Nicely balanced car, seemed quite tame for a Porsche but, I got on with it really well and never felt like I really found the edge in just 10 laps. No scary moments at all.

Merc GT1: After the Porsche, this car was a hand full, so much so that I looped it a couple times during the out-lap. :D Initial turn-in was hesitant with some under-steer, then mid-way through it would transition to over-steer as it exited the turns. Not a stable drive for me as it is.

McLaren GT1: This car was a mixed bag for me, under-steery on corner entry but, a little throttle helped it balance out. Too much throttle resulted in over-steer but, not as much as the Merc so, more controllable overall.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Wow, that is some crazy force,vi don't like a real heavy wheel when turning but I like how that can make you fight the wheel at times like you see drivers doing, unfortunately light settings don't seem to do that. I thought I did read something a few years ago that someone was making a DD with high nm, I thought it was somewhere around the 50-60 range.

9. CrimsonEminence

Nice, good to read. (Some of the default GT1 setup components are recommended by my input and i'm still in doubt of them being okay-ish, no intention to brag, just for information ^^') Also good, you choose Velo Citta, this track is actually perfect to expose problems with cars while cornering and it's setup hell (already was in AMS1).

Yes, the AMG is a handful, it has the tendency to loop out of corners, but it's also by far the strongest car on the accelerator on throttle. Maybe too low ramp angles, maybe too high preload...almost recommended less rake for this car, but it needs the turn-in.

The Porsche is indeed balanced enough in my opinion, but i'm not happy with its tendency to nervosity in slower sections (it has improved big time in the last updates, though, the tire damping additions, they did, were gold)

The McLaren is very powerful, but also quite reactive to pedal inputs, so it can work itself through corners okay-ish, but needs a lot of commitment, to be actually somewhat fast.

I will "review" the AMG default set again, in the next days (that sounds strange man :D) but it's also a matter of patience out of corners and well executed entries on downshifts, to make it work properly. But i agree, that it's still quite difficult for less experienced use, when it comes to out-of-the-box use. (Funny enough, it's my favourite, next to the Porsche, that feels like a living, breathing machine to me).

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  10. Dean Ogurek

Nice, I figured there was a reason you asked about them. :)

I think you're on the right track with the GT1 setups and I agree that the AMG is fun, because it's challenging to put the power down effectively and consistently. I wouldn't expect (nor want) all of these cars to behave the same, and any needed BOP adjustments should preserve their unique strengths / weaknesses in the end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. CrimsonEminence

They don't need BoP, they need drivers :D
    But yes, i also think, the ultra-fast AMG needs the most care on the right pedal, to drive it consistently fast. Still i'm not sure, it's really a good "baseline" for getting used to it, without being thrown into the gruesome cold water.

GT1 cars in AMS2 are probably one of the most fun to drive right now, after all, i must say. I'm more happy with them, than the GT3 or GT4 cars actually (the both latter ones are also "tolerable" now, though IMO)...now i ask myself, when Reiza Studios finally decide to get the Panoz GT1 in the game....Pretty pleeeaaase. :p
    (And give us the Gr.C Jaguar XJR-14, with this license aquired, then the XJR-15 and old Mk.I :D :p:D)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Speaking of cars that should be rescued from PC2 along with the Panoz and the Jaag XJR-9, can we have the KTM X-Bow R?

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yep I agree. It has mostly disappeared at least from the most grippy and stiff cars (GTs, Protos, Formula 1). Probably some touring/stock cars may show it slightly more still

• Like Like x 1
  14. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Can you chip in to get me a DD? I'd love to experience 25NM through a wheel :cool: and just cant afford that expense :whistle:
    I'll be your best friend :p

15. 2ndLastJedi

Have you been discussing the way the Group C cars (amongst others) aren't grip limited enough at full boost? 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear even on slicks on a fully wet track and full throttle with little worry to spin :confused: I just went back to AC for the first time in a long while and the Sauber there is quite frankly on another level (with the challenge of keeping it straight even with warn slicks on dry track).
    I hate to compare sims but honestly what else can we do??

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. CrimsonEminence

Yes. I also think, longitudinal slip might be on the tame side.
    I'm not comparing with AC either, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. 2ndLastJedi

To what then? Personal experience :p What else do we compare to other than video which isn't great to use to compare imo.

18. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I tend to agree.

In my tests I have taken a number powerful vehicles, turned off TC if applicable and tried my hardest to put it in the wall at Bathurst on the out lap. It's damn near impossible. OK these vehicles do have a lot of downforce and fresh rubber but still it's even impossible to get some real funky time moments no matter hard you mash the loud peddle and throw on excessive steer angle. Another example is the the M1. 500 HP and it won't even light up the rears when stalled up. It bearly even chirps. Maybe it bogs down in turbo lag..!?!

Dunno man. Some of these cars just seem too easy out the gate..

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Mate I'm broke. After GPADing AC for years everyone on the forum chipped and bought me the DD2. :cool:

You can still be my best friend if you want.. :p

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. 2ndLastJedi

Nice, but what is that?
    Even in 1st gear (so very little downforce) the Group C's don't move around like those turbos would suggest. Even slicks on wet track. Its not limited to the Group C either, there is something weird with how high downforce cars move about also :confused: Taking the v10 to Montreal 1988 and the fast chicanes as the rear steps out its more like the rear stays put and the front moves or something weird. Hard to describe but very easy to feel.

But as Crismson said, its being talked about.

• Agree Agree x 2