1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

Have been away for a few weeks, but I'm back now and cannot wait to try this one out

• Like Like x 2
  2. Reiche

Reiche Member AMS2 Club Member

I experience very high centering forces when cornering and getting my foot on the throttle. RWD Camaro roadcar was fine, but I noticed it on AWD Lancer and even on the classic Mini Cooper FWD in which case I didn't expect to happen a lot when getting on throttle. Gain was at 40, then reduced to 30.

(I'm only starting to get into the whole driving experience again and trying to understand what's going on, so it could also be just me getting it wrong)

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Karl Rawstrone

Karl Rawstrone New Member

Interesting. I'm on CSL Elite+ and love it straight out of the box. Gain 75, LFB 20, FX 50, DAM 15. Wheel force 100, dri -02, FEI 80. Only tried it with Porsche GT3 911R at Brands (it rained), Donny, Oulton, Snetterton and Spa but lots of fun, feeling and detail. Really like this one! :) Thank you :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

ok I caved and had a quick go, it’s very good and flexible, can put sliders many different levels and still get good feedback.
    I’m leaning towards having power steering about equal to gain. and still playing around with Lfb, though I may experiment with having tightening active in file with lower lfb later on.
    Also will experiment with turning damper down in file as was running zero previous.
    I think tuning will be limited to effects.
    I think it must be the tear effect that’s giving me some strong harsh front tire vibrations if spinning and dragging fronts the wrong way on or off track.
    Also it’s harsh tire scrub effects if FX above 25 , but feels like I could go higher than 25 to get best kerbs etc, so a little ratio scaling to tune amongst the effects as mentioned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Reiche

Reiche Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 2
  7. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If you like, use gain 65-70 lfb 35-40 fx 50 and at this moment damper to 0 ;)

After use tighten with yhis value ... 3 option then 3 test in game :cool:

Option 1:
    (tighten_range 0.10) #Use for lower end wheel bases.
    (tighten_falloff 0.005) #Use for lower end wheel bases.

Option 2:
    (tighten_range 0.12) #Use for lower end wheel bases.
    (tighten_falloff 0.006) #Use for lower end wheel bases.

Option 3:
    (tighten_range 0.16) #Use for lower end wheel bases.
    (tighten_falloff 0.0128) #Use for lower end wheel bases.

EDIT: Also range 0.21 ;)
    EDIT 2: Set Damper to 50 or in the range 30-50!!! ;)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

Thanks for sharing! My initial run was with the same car, interestingly enough. On the 962C now though. I’ve ended up at 65 Gain (though my Porsche is set at 120%), 15 LFB, 50 FX, but 50 Damping. On wheel, I’ve got FF 100, Drift -3, FEI 40 (was running this at 70 until last week - setting it lower seemed to eradicate the occasional knocking feeling I’d get around the centre of the wheel). It’s getting closer and closer to perfect!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Stakanov

I'm testing the problem cars .... ;)

KansaiGP ... GT1 fixed they drive beautifully and even at low gears I have full control ... I'm enjoying like a mandrill ... :cool:

GAIN 68 - LFB 38 FX 50 DP 0 (Damping not tested yet) ...

Go with Catheran and I will let you know ... but already without tuning the value it is great,

I suggest you do a few laps and wait for the melody to enter your head

• Like Like x 1
  10. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Im surprised you all use such a low damping value, I run damping 50 and compensate with gain to make it as heavy as needed, low damping values to me make too much different steering angle forces :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  11. Kuku Maddog

yes that’s basically where I set it for my quick test early on, 50 gain matched to 50 damper ( power steering) and then playing around with Lfb up to 50 and 25 Fx.

Edit: Now Running in file tightening which feels a little more accurate and responsive,
    Using 60 - 5 - 15 - 50
    Everything is drivable at this setting but for the big brutes I can reduce per car gain .

it’s actually possible with this file to run 100 gain but think it’s counter productive to subtle details. Having gain 10 more than damper gives a slightly better feel of some the unique fine details in this system.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Raceracerace

Raceracerace Active Member

Downloaded latest v 3 of new naming convention and immediate knew it was exceptionally good, on a belt drive tx, I have it set to 75 gain, 20 lfb and 50 fx, 0 dampener (have not tried that power steering aspect yet, remember last time it was not my cup of tea) but who knows: Because I do not think anything needs to be said at this point, only a few laps in on a v10 at 93 spa exceptional A+ job. (first v10 in left most v10 list, f-reiza, with the mp4/12 selectable :: that v10 gen 1, first in list)

Oh you can just tell this one is the goods and will be across all cars.

edit: I lifted lfb to 30. better, not that prior was bad or nothing but more in line with the rubber is on the road feel versus vague(er). This is def in the zone with high speed turning in the v10 gen1 at jerez and I expect it will carry over to gt3 and others. May experiment with fx at higher levels as per above post but just on this driving experience with a wheel base here, I am at a level of immersion as such just focusing on the road/driving. Ah stuff it - will try 70 evenif I suspect it may unseat/upset this balance being a belt.

Until now I also noted the bars 0-10% 10-20% etc are neatly in line, so 10% is low as you expect then next bar is higher, and next, and no red... its very nice and consistent.

Edit 2: Oh no - well maybe a csl elite will do such a thing, but the fx - which is essentially one step down from an elite but rather the same - driving with 70 fx makes it seem like gravel is across the road, very coarse and not at all how tarmac should feel (maybe a go kart would feel like that with "fx" as I would imagine may be at 60, so back to 50 fx it is)

edit: this all told is still very good - I agree the best yet; slippage is good, traction is good, the steering is linear and you can even adjust all that, any vibration is either the engine or the rack itself because in game its meant to be a metal object so its a decent feel versus it and the track, can really get a sense of definition and spatial awareness, a good dynamic range and it never gets blown out or muddy it would seem.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Did more laps last night, this time in Porsche Cup 3.8 at Interlagos.

I absolutely love the new file. For the first time in AMS2 this car felt really great to me. I need to do some tuning based on what I’ve read in this thread recently, but it feels pretty great already.

What is staggering is how much more alive this feels compared to the default. I would love to see this flavour of ffb incorporated into the game as a menu option.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So I’ve made a few minor adjustments to the file and I’m getting it into a really nice place for my liking / hardware... I’ll publish my settings when I’m happy with them. The in game settings I’m gravitating towards are ~60/~40/~50/~50

One thing I would like some help with please...

I’ve been testing the Porsche cup car, and it feels really nice, but I have this feeling under hard braking of driving on marbles. It only really happens under hard braking. Can any of you clever guys offer any thoughts on this?

TIA

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kuku Maddog

Had some online races tonight where the wheel isnt auto centering at end of session ( I started race at 180 degrees lol ) and if I’m paused off track, the wheel pulling to either side depending on surfaces.
    Not sure if file related or not, but can’t say it’s happened before

16. Stakanov

Hey Kuku Maddog ... same reasoning here on G920 but with small differences obviously due to the different steering wheel and your own sensations.
    GAIN 62-68 (small indecision whether to start from the lowest value and increase it if necessary from the per-car ffb or do the opposite starting from the highest and then adjust if it is necessary to the downside, but it is not even a problem);
    LFB 20-40 (previously it was no less than 50, so it must definitely be lowered, but I am left with a big indecision, the lower value of 20 helps me with very swaying cars and with powerful low gears that slip continuously but the range 30-40 is nicer with most other cars which are very stable);
    FX 45-55 (before I used 65-75 but now the slider also pulls the road effects and in order not to have anmalie it is necessary to lower it at least from 55 downwards but the sensations remain very nice, no problem);
    Damping 50 (Now that I have done some testing, you have to agree that the damping improves the feel of the tire but also the 30-50 range is sometimes not bad;

As soon as I can make up my mind I go to the tuning of the values, but being a new sensation I want to play with it a little more to tune the brain better!!!

Great job guys!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Personally I go to the heavyest car, like Formula reiza or V10's or something and tune the overall gain and damping to what I feel right, then go to GT cars etc. and see how it feels. We generally tried to make this file so that you dont need to adjust much between cars and at least on DD whlees it worked really well.

FX being separate now I run at 30 as more than that brings too much road detail and it tends to drown the other feelings :)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Karsten Hvidberg

There's a chance this is either scrub or tear effect that produces this on your base. I know Kuku changes the scrub/tear slightly to make it not do that for his.
    So prob. try and change this:
    (scrub_frq_scale 0.5)
    or this:
    (tear_frq_scale 4.0)

Please post if you find what the issue might be, so we can change it going forward.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Karsten Hvidberg

I will take a look so we can have it not do that for the next version. If you happen to find the cause don't hesitate to post it :)

20. AxisMagi

AxisMagi Member AMS2 Club Member

Karsten & Crew: Nice work on the latest upgrade, just now digging into it. Since the damping has changed to power steering what would you say is the best order of tweaking process to find the optimal feel? Like set main gain and lfb centering balance first with damping/pwr steering at 0 ? Then tweak the power steering to taste? Or do you have some other suggestions on the best approach for starting settings and then how to quickly optimize?