1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharing of Set-Ups?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by newbert, May 11, 2020.

1. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

If you increase rear springs the front will "bite" more when turning during mid corner-to-exit acceleration.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Erella Singh

Erella Singh New Member

I get that, and I've seen it more than once. Fortunately, I'm not that guy. I don't want someone else's setup, just simply because it may not be right for me, but a good starting point would be helpful. I've found that the default setups are generally trash, and I know I need to make changes. I just don't want to spend ALL my time doing that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Well, mostly 2 or 3 tweaks are usually enough. In AMS 1 I always tweaked my tyre-pressure and make it so I was able to use it for every track. Just a little pressure tweak to the rear so the 620r won't say goodbye.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

Pretty good strategy if you ask me - and simple.;)
    But it also does show the individual differences and priorities between sim drivers.
    Because my priorities is allways the diff and spring settings.
    And I more or less allways (tries to) use the same setup from track to track.
    Hehe the only thing I change between tracks is gearing and wings.
    And that Im not lying here can be seen in my uploaded TT setups.:cool:

I call this strategy "Keep it simple - because placebo will probably do the rest for you".
    Hehe and thats also the reason Im very entertained when I see how extremely focused casual (or lazy:whistle:) drivers are on the urgency of optimal setups.:p

ByTheWay:

5. cpcdem

cpcdem Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Is that about AMS2 or iRacing? I have no experience in iRacing, but default setups seem pretty good to me in AMS2. Of course you can change them to better suit your driving style, but I don't see how they can be called "trash". Unless they really are for some cars that I have not noticed, which cars are you talking about?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

“Trash” is a rather strong word for it. But its one setup for all tracks. That means its ok at everything but not good at anything.
    The cambers and pressures will be off, to varying levels. Thats a big one.
    Mechanically, they have some sort of gimmick built in to create false stability at the expense of something else.
    The gearing and aero will not suit the tracks.
    Or they don’t do a very good job at taming difficult cars.
    You’ll find yourself hacking at the wheel more than need be and focussing in keeping the car on track instead of learning the track, cornering speeds, proper lines etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. cpcdem

cpcdem Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Can you say for example for which cars this happens? I have found a couple cars to be driving really bad and in the past there were a lot more like that, but I do not think this had much to do with the setup, it was mostly something conceptually wrong with how the car was implemented and most cases are fixed now.

Adjusting camber and pressures per track will make a difference, but a very small one, probably a tenth or two per lap and will maybe gain a lap or two in tire wear, if you are doing endurance races. With the exception of very few setup items like turbo or gearing (when you hit the limiter in top gear too early) that can make a relatively big difference in a few cars, I do not think in general you can expect to gain too much from modifying setups.

8. Road Animal

Road Animal New Member

I find the subject interesting , I have been doing setups for 35 years since the first Sims , and I disagree , it is an art , but anyone can learn it.
    And I do believe setups are key to fast times , I have held numerous world records over the years.
    I do not like the time trial format , your setup becomes public , I find it ridiculous in the extreme , a foolish move , race setups are top secret in racing , no team ever shares their setup with competition , this is the very heart of racing and a major aspect to winning championships, and this aspect of the game should be changed asap.
    Without going into detail , your suspension should be as stiff as possible all round , all settings , start near fully stiff and work back from there to balance the car , and to balance handling and response vs mechanical grip , it's that simple , then there is dif settings , and wing settings , it's a big subject if you break down ever setting in detail.
    But some of the comments I see are just on the wrong track or complete misinterpretation , so thought I'd comment on the spring stiffness talked about , only soften the suspension for one reason and one only , when you find the car is lacking grip , skittery too stiff , and testing proves it is.
    Balance that with tyre wear and endurance length depending on what you are setting the car up for.
    That said , a TT car is always my race setup , with a few minor tweeks if necessary, low radiator settings give minimal speed compared to a stiff responsive chassis you can accelerate hard around corners with , it is your suspension that is key to fast times in any conditions.
    I start setups at about %90 to %100 stuff at rear and work from there to balance car ,

Last edited: Jan 5, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

200% agree about the forced sharing.
    But its obvious an arcade/gamish leftover its hard for Reiza to delete from the Mad engine ;)
    Also agree on this.
    Hehe but its quite funny that a lot of posters who obviously dont know a thing about creating setups are outpouring bullocs about how wortless TT setups are compared against real or proper setups created for races.:whistle:

ByTheWay: Its often the same people who are proud they never will get near a TT session - because TT sessions are wortless compared to real races. :rolleyes:

10. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

i don't fully agree.
    when TT setups are made with one lap "exploits" then they are useless for longer races.
    e.g.
    highest turbo pressure
    lowest tire pressure
    closed brake ducts
    closed radiators
    etc.
    When i talk about races, its more than 5 to 10 lapper sprints ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Sharing setups leads to a fully new economy around people/companies selling setups. In iRacing it's 'normal' to buy or subscribe setups. While it can help the guys that are lazy or do not have knowledge about tuning it also takes away part of the learning curve, and also slightly give it a sense of competition distortion.

12. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

I think I have seen in the Racedepartment forum a thread telling people to NOT pay money/buy setups.
    If I understand the aim right then it is partly to get people to share setups for free and partly to motivate people to make the few changes needed themselves.
    Often a few laps trial and error changing is enough. ;)

13. Road Animal

Road Animal New Member

They are only minor tweeks of a TT setup to make them an enduro setup for races , some I'd not change at all depending on the track

14. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I don’t mind sharing setups since I remember how I felt when I had no idea about setups, but I wanted to go quicker and loading setups from others really helped. IMO there should be an option to allow sharing of setups or not

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

sharing would be simple, if the filenames would be dependent to track/car names and setup name

• Agree Agree x 1