1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frame rate drops by 50% when accelerating out of corners.

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Potato Player, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Potato Player

Potato Player New Member

Thought it was a VR issue but it happens in 1080p too - Steam was reporting I had around 200FPS.

It is worse on some tracks more than others but constantly when I accelerate after decelerating for corners my frame rate drops as much as 50% and I get a warping sensation where frames are missed and I skip ahead in time.

I've had the game a few months and I did not have this problem before.

My CPU and RAM are under 60% utilisation during the game, GPU under 80%. Changing settings makes no difference. No issue with any other games.

Other people on the Steam forum are reporting similar.

2. Potato Player

Potato Player New Member

Bump.

Tried everything and the game still runs like crap - impossible to get a consistent frame rate.

3. Pacchia

Pacchia Member

Happens to me too, but only in specific corners
    (Penultimate corner at Cascavel for example)
    There I often get a drop from 130 to 50 fps

4. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

Tried reinstalling/validating files?

I get very occasional little glitches but only very rarely and not always in the same spots, as you’re experiencing. Are you installed on an SSD?

5. Sampo

Sampo Member AMS2 Club Member

What are your pc specs? Are you perhaps playing on a laptop?

6. Pacchia

Pacchia Member

I found v-sync solved the problem almost completely

7. Potato Player

Potato Player New Member

Running from an SSD.
    i7-9700F
    RTX 2060 6GB
    16GB RAM

Quest 2 rendering resolution is at the default 1.0 - everything in AMS2 is on the lowest possible settings except MSAA which is on medium (anything lower looks like a PS1 game). Tried with and without ASW.

The only way to get it working is to use fpscap in the launch options and set it at something really low.

8. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Just spitballing, but I have a hunch it is due to the rendering of complex off-track objects at certain points of certain tracks.

9. Jeff Scharpf

Jeff Scharpf Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Strange, as my system is way below your specs and I am at high on most settings. I have a 10 year old i5, SSD, 32G RAM a GeForce (1060 ? 6MB). I have no idea if it's the extra RAM because I only added that for the new MSFS. But other than RAM, all of my specs are way below yours.
    V-sync sometimes helps for those of us that still use potato computers :) Mine runs great now, except for when the AI starts pitting. Each time a pit crew "pops' into view, I get a hiccup. It's normally fine but if a bunch of AI are pitting, I really have to hang on as my screen hiccups for about 10 times in a row lol..

10. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I think its in the gameplay settings you can set the game to only render your own pitcrew.

ByTheWay: I have even a weaker system than you two but can run almost everything maxed without problems.

11. Sampo

In PC2 some people complained about similar warping and they were overclocking their CPU and it was throttling at times. You could, for example, run something like HWInfo64 with logging on during playing and check afterwards if there was any throttling.

12. Potato Player

Potato Player New Member

Thanks, will try it.

I've seen other comments from people with much more powerful systems than me saying they have poor performance too and others also saying performance in VR has worsened over time - I don't know if that's game updates or windows updates.

I can use v-sync to run at 60FPS on my monitor OK but I bought the game specifically for VR.

13. Sampo

14. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

If it's all corners I can't help you but if it's just on some corners of some tracks I found grass setting to cause big FPS drops.