1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traction Control Confusion

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by blueferrari, Mar 13, 2021.

1. blueferrari

blueferrari Member

Just a little confused as to what setting is on while driving. For example, in Tuning the default setting may be 20%, but you can change the TC setting on the fly on your steering wheel to either - TC High, Low or Off (which I believe is the same old setting parameters as Project Cars 2). If you set this to off, does that mean there is no TC at all or defaults to the 20% in the tuning menu?

I also find it much easier to correct a spin when loosing grip with no traction control, as with it on, the car just continues to spin out of control. Is this normal?

Appreciate any help from this great community and much loved sim.

Thank you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. cpcdem

cpcdem Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The percentage setting means how quickly TC activates. If you set it to 10%, then when you have more than 10% tire slip, then TC kick in. If you have it set at 20%, then it activates much later or not at all. If you have it at 1%, it will be almost always active.

The High/Low/Off setting handles how much of an impact the TC system has, when it activates. With it being to off, you can forget the previous paragraph, TC never activates. When it is set to High, it activates when the slip angle reaches the percentage set above and completely cuts power when it does. I am not aware of the actual numbers, but when you have it set to Low, it intervenes exactly at the same time as High does, but it cuts off only say 50% of the throttle.

About being able to correct a spin more easily with TC off, it sounds like placebo maybe, but you never know, could also be that the TC system is not implemented correctly. With which cars do you experience this?

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Do you think it could be that with TC off it is possible to correct the spin because you can use the throttle to correct also, where with TC on the power isn't there so its just you and the wheel? I find using the throttle to hold and maintain slides is rather easy, if TC interfered those slides would become spins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. blueferrari

blueferrari Member

Thanks, that was very useful to know! I had no idea. I'll have to play around with it. I haven't checked either, but perhaps TC in settings is always set to 20% for all cars as a default. Regardless, I do prefer it off on my wheel, as I mentioned, I can correct a slide much better with it off.

• Like Like x 1
  5. blueferrari

blueferrari Member

Yeah, it's quite complex isn't it? You really have to spend some time playing around with it. Thanks so much for your response too! Much appreciated.

6. blueferrari

blueferrari Member

You were right!
    I had TC in tuning settings at 11% and dropped it down to 1%, which I think is the lowest and I can now feel the jitter of TC kicking in. I think this is with GT3 and GT4 cars. On my wheel I set TC to "Low" and that seems like enough to hold off any uncontrollable spins. Thank you! I now switch between Low or Off as I find the GT3s have enough downforce not to warrant TC at all.

7. cpcdem

You're welcome, glad I could help!

8. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Your explanation sounds reasonable and (somewhat :whistle:) logical - but is it something Reiza has officially announced or something you have concluded by trial and error?
    At least it absolutely doesnt sound intuitive (pour moi :D ).

ByTheWay: I have never used TC in the cars I have driven in AMS2 but taken from my experience with TC in Raceroom it was both intuitive to setup and worked 100% correct.
    At least what I could feel. :D
    But thanks for trying to explain it out.:)

9. cpcdem

The assists are part of the engine and what I described is how it works in PCARS2, thus how it works also in AMS2, regarding the Low/High settings at least. About if assists are implemented correctly/are realistic, in PCARS2 at least, ABS made sense, as it made you always faster, reducing brake distances, as in real life. On the other hand, TC didn't, always slowed you down (even if you set it to less intrusive levels), at least if you have sufficient enough throttle control.

Take for example the PCARS2 leaderboards with GT3 cars (which use ABS and TC in real life), in ALL of them, the top times use ABS but no TC. And in my experience so far, it's the same thing in AMS2, ABS is helpful for faster times, but TC is not. Not complaining, I know it's difficult to make this work in a totally realistic way and there are many more much more important things to work on first.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Thanks
    Maybe I should look a bit more into this ABS thing to up my LB positions - further:D