1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Porsche 962 missing front splitter

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by BrunoB, Mar 17, 2021.

1. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Just like I pointed out that Reiza at launch had forgot to implement the RL Saubers front splitter then it looks like they also has forgot to add this important downforce parameter in the Porsche 962.
    But just like Reiza was quick to listen and patch this missing feature in the Sauber then Im looking forward to see how soon they will take a look at the Porsches missing front splitter.:D

ByTheWay: To get some RL facts to back this up I have collected a few articles and pictures showing this feature of the real Porsches.:cool:
    ---
    Automobilista 2 V1.1.2.0 RELEASED - Now updated to v1.1.2.5
    ---
    Mulsanne's Corner: 1993 Joest Porsche 962C
    1993 Joest Porsche 962C
    Large dive planes have been added to the nose to further augment front end grip.
    Note the thin splitter across the front.
    Wind tunnel development of the Joest Porsche 962C was carried out at the Porsche Weissach tunnel
    (full scale fixed-floor with boundary layer suction). According Ralf Jüttner, Technical Director for Joest Racing, maximum downforce for the Joest 962 was 5584 lbs. for 1396 lbs. drag (max L/D: 5281 lbs. downforce for 1200 lbs. drag). Jüttner also mentioned that, "In general, I think we were quite far off the downforce values of the Nissan and the Toyota.
    Anyway, I do know that downforce figures from the Weissach tunnel showed smaller values compared to other tunnels. But regardless, there was no way coming close to the Toyota as we could personally see large differences in the braking points for the first chicane at Portland for example."
    ---
    Bell Tests Porsche 962 at Donington | HistoricRacingNews.com
    Bell Tests Porsche 962 at Donington
    Derek Bell took to the wheel of the Porsche 962 he will share with Mark Sumpter in the Group C race at the Le Mans 24-Hours next month at a damp Donington Park yesterday, May 29th.
    The Porsche is an ex-Joest racing car (chassis 962-011) with the distinctive centre-post rear wing seen on the more developed privateer 962s towards the end of the car's front line World Endurance Championship career, the 962 featuring a variety of Joest tweaks.
    Derek and Mark have shared the car before, leading the Group C race at the 2007 Silverstone Classic before having to retire due to damage to the front splitter after contact with another car.
    ---
    The Mysterious Belcar Dauer 962
    Looks an awful lot like a Porsche to me. The front clip (especially the splitter/chin spoiler and shape and location of air intakes near the corners) appears to be Porsche, not Dauer,

0.jpg 22.jpg 3.jpg

2. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Where is the front splitter here ?
    [​IMG]

Keep in mind there are a lot of different 962 models, witch all are very different.
    You are talking about the 1993 Joest 962, but that's not the version we have. Joest changed a lot of things from the original we have in this game.
    Just look at the difference (note the rear spoiler) :
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SuperMonaco_GP

SuperMonaco_GP Active Member

yep, totally different cars.

• Creative Creative x 1
  4. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I guess its possible to find a lot of pictures of exhibition Porsches 962 without any splitters(like the 1st pic above) - and without any socalled fanes at the frontsides of the car.

My only uncertainty conserning front splitters on the official 962 Porsche(s) is if they was adjustable.
    But at least a simple on/off "adjustability" would have been possible.:D

ByTheWay: Yes yes I know changes can often feels threatening - but mostly in the beginning. :whistle:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. Sampo

Sampo Member AMS2 Club Member

Am I wrong in saying that the trio of factory-run 962Cs which raced at the 1988 Le mans did not have a splitter or dive planes at the front. As the livery in the game shows the driver as Derek Bell, I guess we have the 86 or 87 model.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  6. doomwarriorx

doomwarriorx Member

I'm was a silent reader in this forum. But could not resist the "somebody is wrong on the internet"

The factory build cars never had a splitter. Afaik Brunn and Joest startet experimenting with splitters in 1987. Later also with other aerodynamic modifications were used by different teams as shown in this thread. Most of the GTP cars (US) were not even build in the Porsche factory.
    Joest in 1988 even used both setups on there cars in the same race. One running with, another without a splitter. Brunn used different rear wings on different cars. There is no possible way you could represent ~7 years of service with just one model. Just have a look here: World Sports Prototype Championship Donington 1989 - Photo Gallery - Racing Sports Cars
    nearly every 962 has another aerodynamic package...

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1