1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cockpit movement while using Opentrack headtracking

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by JoshOz, Mar 17, 2021.

1. JoshOz

JoshOz Member

Hi all,
    I use my iPhone with the Opentrack program on my PC to enable head tracking in VR mode. I've had success using it with Assetto Corsa, Assetto Corsa Competizione, and Automobilista 2. The problem I have is that in AMS2 there seems to be a lot of movement within the cockpit. In the other sims I don't have this issue. When driving on tracks like 'Brands Hatch' where this is quite a bit of elevation change, the steering wheel moves up and down. I have experimented with the legacy head movement setting while in non-vr mode and managed to get the cockpit nice and still but not so in VR. Has anyone else had this issue and managed to solve it?
    Thanks,
    JoshOz.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

As far as I'm aware this issue isn't specific to Opentrack but affects anyone using TrackIR or any VR Device.

You are already on the right track, though - you can affect your head movement settings in VR mode by altering them in non-VR mode. Keep in mind that VR only supports Legacy mode, though, so you need to switch to Legacy when running AMS2 in non-VR mode and then adjust the value before restarting back in VR mode.

There's a lot of different preferences here, which not only depend on your personal preference but also on your setup, like size of and distance to the screen , field of view and others.

My personal preference so far is Legacy at around 60. Since I am using a fairly large but older TV (42") as screen and a cockpit/helmet FOV of 55 (which is what I calculated as being close to 1:1 size) this provides decent stability for both the cockpit as well as the track so it doesn't move around like crazy.

However, what you describe is also linked to the view being locked to the horizon (at least partially depending on your setting), which produces this side effect. Unfortunately there is currently no way to get rid of it outside of completely locking the view to the car (which then produces lots of visual shaking of the track).

3. JoshOz

JoshOz Member

Thanks XTRMNTR2K for your comprehensive answer. I tried your settings as we have similar FOV settings and it seems better, although as you mentioned there appears to be an inherent setting in regards to the horizon lock that cannot be changed. I'm still a little confused by this (or maybe just disappointed). It doesn't make sense from my way of thinking to lock the horizon. If I picture going up a steep hill in my car (which I do near where I live) my internal view of my steering wheel does not change. I use the head tracking function in VR mode in the three sims I play as I really like being able to quickly glance left/right and look in rear view mirrors etc. so I'm hoping for a resolution to this problem. Do you know if this issue has been raised with Reiza as a bug/problem?

4. XTRMNTR2K

Reiza are most definitely aware of it since the issues with the camera in VR mode have been raised many times. The intense shaking that many users found (and to some degree still find) nauseating was in part caused by overly rough track surface (Brands Hatch also used to be a great example of this, though not as bad as Adelaide), which has since been toned down for problematic tracks. But the view being locked to the horizon seems to be an integral part of the way the view dampening works - in other words, a rework of this may (or may not) be in the making, but I haven't heard of any ETA or any more information about it. (But maybe I've just missed it.)

One of the worst tracks with regards to this issue is probably Bathurst - it feels like you're looking anywhere but the track a lot of the time. :confused:

5. Andrex

Andrex New Member

In VR works for me Lock Horizon 0, look to apex 0, gForce 0

6. JoshOz

JoshOz Member

Well, after trying your settings and noticing improvement I decided to try some more settings at both ends of the spectrum to see how it affects the cockpit view. I set ‘legacy movement' to NO and then set world movement to '100'. With these settings my cockpit view did not move up and down with elevation changes but I was still able to look around with my head tracking app active. I understand it might not be a complete solution if there is excessive bumpiness but am I wrong in thinking this is actually a partial solution? I didn’t want my steering wheel to move up and down and now it doesn’t. I’m going to test with slightly lower 'world movement' values to see what it’s like. Also, having to be in non-vr mode to change the settings is really poor. Be interested to read your thoughts.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. Alwin Papegaaij

Alwin Papegaaij Active Member

You kinda would like to have something like an individual setting for both slow and fast change of pitch:
    • Slow for change in elevation.
    • Fast for bumps
    • Maybe even a slider to determine transition of slow to fast? (Very wishful thinking here:cool:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. XTRMNTR2K

I haven't played with these settings in a few weeks, so something may have changed (and legacy off now actually works in VR mode). But as you said, locking the camera to the car doesn't help with excessive bumpiness at all. The last time I tried disabling head movement it gave me a headache. Even with settings similar to what I use now the shaking used to be so bad I couldn't play for more than a few minutes. Never experienced anything like that in any sim or racing game in my entire life. I believe that, somewhat ironically, this is due to AMS2 being more realistic and detailed when it comes to the way the car moves on an uneven track surface than a lot of other sims.

Agreed. This is an issue that was carried over from PCARS2, if I remember correctly (strangely enough I think PCARS1 didn't differentiate between VR and non-VR mode, iirc). Hopefully it can be fixed one of these days.

Absolutely! I have been thinking the same thing for months. Still hoping to see further improvements to the in-game camera options.

9. JoshOz

JoshOz Member

Yes! The more options the better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. RuyGTR

RuyGTR New Member

Any solution for the camera bumpiness with VR on? I'm using OpenTrack which with fine tuning gets really good, but the camera shaking on track elevation is killing me.

11. jimortality

jimortality Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Has the -forcevr option in steam changed as it didn't seem to work for me