1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Sauber Mercedes C9...

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by GregzVR, Mar 14, 2021.

Tags:
  1. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

What an awesome car, the throaty rumbling roar of the engine and great looks(always loved the shape as a kid). That second gear rev band is brutal though. I know I have a relatively heavy right foot, but I can’t seem to tame it, coming out of second gear turns.

What are good setup tips to try to cure that sudden immense power surge, in second gear, at the top of the rev range?

2. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I don't agree that this car is in need of a patch to tame it, i'm totally in the other camp, this car needs more brutality as has been discussed at length in the forum.
    He is a video posted by @Coanda of the Sauber on slicks in the wet.

My experience is the same as his, full boost, full throttle on slicks and it is very much manageable where i imagine this car to be quite a handful even on slicks in the dry.

4. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's the complete opposite at my end. I can only floor it in 4th gear with 100% boost. I drove the C9 at Guaporé a couple of days ago and needed to reduce boost to 65% in order to keep it on track.

Also that video with slicks at Spa:
    I have to give this a try but from my memory I struggled with car more in dry conditions than Coanda with slicks in wet conidtions. :eek:

(But maybe it has smething to do with my crappy G27 pedals IDK. :oops:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

There's something very odd going on when it comes to peoples different setups or something. That wet Spa video shows better grip levels than I seem to have in the dry too.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. muz_j

muz_j Active Member

1) Raise the gears - particularly gears 1 & 2 as IMO - by default, they're too low to be useful on most tracks (note I said most and not ALL) and the car's got enough torque to not really care - particularly once you're moving, rather than starting from a stand still
    2) Run as much down force as you can - obviously this is personal preference, but depending on how fast the track is, you'll often get better results in this car with high downforce, carrying more corner speed, rather than trying to run low downforce and struggling more with grip levels.
    3) short shift as required - especially if you're struggling in gears 1 and 2.
    4) personally I simply drive through any wheel spinning - if you've got the car well balanced, I really don't find it's an issue (but of course you can always catch yourself out, that's half the fun).
    5) consider looking at raising the power and coast ramps a lot from default. the more you raise them, the less each of those settings plays a factor with the differential.
    6) the car's not supposed to be easy to drive - that's kind of the point. you need to adapt your driving style to it.
    7) try some other setups from the TT leader-boards, if you're struggling, See what works for others and experiment (you might need to spend a couple of hours experimenting to get comfortable with it).
    8) use a (preferably fun) track that you know really well to dial the car in - the Nordschleife is my favorite track for car setups, as it's got a nice mix of everything, but perhaps you prefer Spa. Choose a track, stick to it, and spend some time experimenting and testing.
    9) I personally had an issue with this car with large amounts of oversteer as I entered corners, resulting in the back end trying to step out on me all the time. If you're having an issue with that, consider looking at your anti-roll bar settings (eg: anti-roll bar (sway bar) - iRacing.com Wiki).

Once you've got it dialled in, it's still challenging, but you should be able to balance mid corner slides using the throttle and brake and drive it a lot easier without it seeming really unstable. I'm still getting properly up to speed with it, but I'm 100 times happier with how it drives after spending (a fair amount) of time getting the setup dialled in.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

For this car and op is car specific, and because the grip discussion will likely go on for a while. In order to illustrate ones issues, be it too much grip or too little. A clear video with pedal inputs showing will go a long way to show any issues or clarify perceptions.
    ( inputs can be seen in hud just filter out tyres)
    It is and has been fascinating how much peoples experiences differ in given cars since release and this is just another.
    It is confirmed this afternoon buy Renato that TC/abs is NOT is this car in AMS2 so this can be eliminated from the equation.

Agreed its a wonderful proper race car, massive power available massive downforce noise etc.
    Gears need a tweek in setup for my prefs track specific, if not done then short shift will help.
    have you tried adjusting 2nd/3rd gear ratios.
    Will run the car for different reasons later but will look at 2nd.
    @steelreserv may help with setup and has done some very informative vids (im sure you must have seen them ) maybe ask him.
    Nice 1 @muz_j lol just finished typing when u posted. Informative glad u like the car

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  8. 2ndLastJedi

I have the same experience as Coanda with both Group C cars, I tested with default setups. I made a video holding my phone in one hand and accelerating at full boost in the 962C with ease 1st through to 4th.

It's the same in the Sauber.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

Strange stuff. Just seen a couple informative video's from the other lads, it's no wonder it's said to be 'Too easy' for some. The grip level/reluctance to spin looks incredibly unrealistic. I'll have to try specific scenarios ASAP, see if I can find a setting or something that leads to the differing experience.

10. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

For the people with oddly grippy C9's with slicks in the rain, could you run the same experiment with:

1) Assists set to OFF.
    2) Assists set to AUTHENTIC
    3) Assists set to FULL, then set Traction Control to HIGH, ABS to HIGH and Stability Control ON.

Can you actually notice a difference between these three scenarios?

• Like Like x 1
  11. 2ndLastJedi

Will do, I always use authentic as you can see from that little video, it shows N/A because the game sets to off and it seems off because if I choose to drift I can and there is no power loss from TC.

12. Maser V6

Done that here earlier. Which led to
    Notice no difference here unlike others sims.
    Hence Q to devs was raised and Answered above
    It Should make no difference
    If noticed then possible bug or likely something local

13. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Does that mean the C9 never has any driver aids, even if they are explicitly enabled? Cause that was my experience. Car was just as hard to drive in the wet with no aids as it was with full aids.

14. Maser V6

Correct and confirmed. The car has NO TC or ABS fitted hence greyed out
    Unlike in pc2/ac maybe others that do have it, and adjustable, tested. .AMS2 C9 does not
    Edit I have "driving assists" off rather than authentic 100% of time but did run as test TC authentic/full/on etc

Edit Im still curious with these "driving assists settings" and actual off since from gt3 launch .Off should be Off for all online when set but Qs arouse. Should be sorted now though.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. 2ndLastJedi

So if someone enabled TC because they can't drive without TC no matter if the car has it irl or not AMS2 doesn't apply TC? Well that isn't right, assists should be working incase people want to drive even with steering assists.
    I remember previously when set to authentic there was a problem but I'm under the assumption that was fixed some time ago.

16. Maser V6

I see and agree your point.

"Game aids" and "car fitted assists'' are different Mine was more about what the car has or in this case has not. as far as Game aids then yes. I did enable and test as above and found Edit a difference, Yes there should be noticable difference with TC?abs set to full rather than off for ease of use as game "aids"
    With set to Off as I normally have car is more stable than one would expect. I wanted confirmed there was no assists in background. now confirmed
    Edit
    So yes those with too much grip turn off and test as suggested not enough turn on full.
    ,curious to hear.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Maser V6

Just checked again ref the game assists
    compared to off : tested
    Assist full
    abs high
    s/c on
    tc high.
    Car is awful imo so these "game aids" work car has laggy responses and you can feel the (sims aid) of electronics horrid.
    sry if my Actual "car assists" active or not confused. car has none fitted as said.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Anyone know if the Sauber is sensitive to aero wash from other cars? I raced at spa tonight and was spinning out on two specific corners while turning into the corner with no throttle and no brakes applied when there were other cars around. With no cars around me it didnt happen, very odd, this was in the dry.

19. Maser V6

It is imo and. Check: Remco Hitman/ vid c9 spa I think he mentions it here

@GregzVR Thanks for starting this thread, is it ok to use this as a general discussion C9 thread, like the Pro car?
    Love your vids also. how u finding this beasty nowdays?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  20. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

No problem! :D Thanks. It's still a beast, Still learning to be much more delicate when on the power, lol.