AMS1 working in VR

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by mr_belowski, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Stefan Mizzi

Stefan Mizzi New Member AMS2 Club Member

Damn, all of a sudden FPS went down to 50 FPS max and fluctuating :( It has been working perfectly and no idea why all of a sudden it got fekked. Tried so many things, I gave up now

2. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

@Frank Alexandre
    Where do I have to put your files? Thank you for your work. :)

3. Frank Alexandre

Frank Alexandre Member AMS2 Club Member

Vehicles/carname

• Like Like x 1
  4. sunnysunday

sunnysunday Member

Link on page 1 does not work for me.. Any updated link i've missed?

5. keith windsor

keith windsor Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It's still working here, maybe try another browser?

• Like Like x 1
  6. sunnysunday

sunnysunday Member

Btw, great stuff. But does anyone know how to get rid of opponent names showing up right in your face? Can't seem to find it in the settings or control binds.

7. Stanj2

Stanj2 New Member

If I remember correctly the Tab key turns opponent names on and off. Give it a try it's not listed in the menu I believe.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gTuz

gTuz New Member

Has there been any updates to the VR plug in? Interested to know if progress has been made. It's so good! just the random pause/ stutters means I might not be able to rely on it for league racing in AMS...

9. Tomi Mäkinen

Tomi Mäkinen New Member AMS2 Club Member

This plugin is great! thanks for developers. .
    Altho I have one odd issue.

I am using gtx 2080 to run my hp reverb g2.
    I use steam vr resolution 68% and fpsvr says at game that Steam SS is 48%.
    In automobilista config I have 1280x720, no / 2x supersampling, no sweetfx,
    In automobilista details are full, except trackside objects and shadows is medium.

This way everything works nicely . Getting 90fps pretty much all the time io single player or empty server. fpsvr says that GPU and CPU times are between 5-6.

My problem is that when ever I put more trackside objects or try to get better steam SS, my reprojection ration starts to rise and fps will drop radically. Is there anyway to get better resolution with this game ?

10. keith windsor

With my RTX 2070, I was running steamVR at 50% resolution, similar AMS config settings to yours, and in game details the same as yours, and I found the biggest improvement comes from making less vehicles visible - i.e. a noticeable performance improvement if I set visible vehicles at 15 instead of 25.

Lowering this might allow you to raise the Steam resolution a bit more.

I've just upgraded to a 2080Ti (got tired of waiting for the non-existent & over priced 3080), and I can now run at 100% res, but for best smoothness, I prefer to run it at 80-90% and still turn some of those visible vehicles down a bit & trackside objects at medium.

So I would say your performance is about right compared to mine.

11. MaxH

MaxH New Member AMS2 Club Member

Has anyone had issues with recentering the display?

I'm using a WMR Reverb G2 and no matter how many times I hammer Numpad 5, I'm still floating a few metres above the car. Initially I believed it to be a faulty key, but if I assign Numpad 5 to other controls in AMS1, that particular control works fine... just not the recentering.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  12. sunnysunday

sunnysunday Member

Im not sure about assigned controls but I use steamvrs' reset position button (have to use oculus controllers though)

13. Ernie

Ernie Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I just watched this video. Niels seems excited. :cool:

• Like Like x 4
  14. Bjarne Hansen

Bjarne Hansen Member AMS2 Club Member

Have no issues with that. You can try assign another key in the .ini file

15. Tomi Mäkinen

Tomi Mäkinen New Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks. I made 6 vehicles visible and it is ok unille we hit over 10 members In multiplayer session. Maine i just have To manage with this unille Better gpu's are available. Neils mentioned about ffb and it helppo with the smoothness even tho the fps is not that good

16. Frank Lewis

Frank Lewis New Member AMS2 Club Member

It's great to have this VR mod. Even with lock to horizon at 100%, it's still very shaky and makes me a little nauseous. I tried lowering the 3 cockpit cam values lower like Niels said but there's no difference between "10,250,10" and "2,250,2" for example. Are there any other solutions to lock the cam to horizon better or is everyone just getting used to it? It's a little like rfactor2 in that it never really locks to horizon fully.

17. Balrog

Balrog Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I went as low as 1,250,1 and I think it makes the movement slightly more tolerable, but I agree otherwise, it's far from ideal unfortunately.

18. keith windsor

On monitor, I always used to need to use RealHead Motion plugin to remove the nausea in this game, but for some reason it hasn't bothered me in VR, but I wonder if it depends on the car/track combination?

I only tend to race Formula Classics, & often on modded street circuits and they are mostly flat. (although Imola has some good up and downs & I don't feel anything there either).

One thing I noticed is, in my player file, I have the 4 Cockpit Vibration lines set to zero. Might be worth trying that n case it causes some unwanted head movement.

Or try the RealHeadMotion plugin, though I'm not sure if it makes any difference in VR.

Also, just in case we're blaming the wrong thing, try turning ALL game detail completely down, and test how smoothly it runs. Nausea can creep in very easily if things are not running smoothly in VR, and it would be easy to assume it's caused by the horizon setting.

19. Frank Lewis

Frank Lewis New Member AMS2 Club Member

I'll have to try the 4 cockpit vibration lines you mention. I'll post my findings.Thanks Keith.
    (EDIT: I tried lowering the cockpit vibration lines and I think it made a little difference. I'm not sure whether I was getting used to my original impressions or not but it's tolerable for now. Still interested in the realheadmotion plugin though.)

W ould someone be kind enough to post a link for the Realhead motion plugin. The link back on page 15 has expired.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  20. keith windsor

Here's a link to ver.1 which I always used for AMS.
    RealHeadMotionAMSV1.0
    There are later versions, I don't know if they are more configurable or what the differences are. If I can find them stored anywhere I'll post a link.

Let us know how you get on, I've never had chance to try it in VR.