1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After latest update, GT3 tire physics feel like crap

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by ControlLogix, Apr 3, 2021.

1. ControlLogix

ControlLogix Active Member

I have used the AMG GT3 at Silverstone as my comparison after every update and I can say that after the latest update, the tire physics feel a lot worse. This is what I am finding:

About a year ago, the GT3 tire physics were really good. Lots of grip, car went where you pointed it, very little understeer or oversteer. Cars were really fun to drive.

I have noticed more and more understeer/oversteer ie less grip with every update.

With the latest update, I again loaded up the AMG GT3 at Silverstone, and the car feels like crap. Huge amounts of understeer/oversteer. Tires feel like they have no grip.

Yes I am resetting the setup after every update.

I hate to say it, but the GT3 cars are starting to feel like the old Project Cars 2, where they felt like you had no grip and were always driving on ice.

I don't know if this is more realistic or not (never driven a GT3 in real life) but I can say it's a lot less fun than it was before.

Again, about a year ago these cars had plenty of grip and have gotten progressively worse with every update, but the latest update just took away so much grip I feel like I'm driving on ice. What happened here? The cars are no longer fun to drive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

I did races at Curvelo tonight with both the McLaren and the BMW and my experiences were the exact opposite. You're always turning on that track so it's a good track to test handling characteristics.

I lost traction in predictable ways and my slides were recoverable. The McLaren particularly was more planted than before. The BMW I had to adjust the spring/roll bars to reduce oversteer/add understeer and was then very comfortable as well. I guess I have to give the recent changes two thumbs up!

I'll have the try the AMG--It's never been my favorite as I've always been slow in it, but I should give it another try after the recent changes.

3. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

I like the AMG GT3 and its one of my go to cars in AMS2. I don't find a lack of grip at all. I just checked it out at Nurburgring Veelo (one of my favorite combos) and it feels as planted as it ever has and loses grip (slides) when you abuse it in a very expected and predictable manner. There is tons of grip.

Conversely, I did not like it much on release, but that might have had something to do with the crappy default FFB at the time which is now actually very good.

4. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Try adding a click of front aero and removing a click of rear aero.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

My current go to us the Porsche GT3 and the default setups seem nice and neutral. When I punched in the same setup as I used to use it felt just as good. I had a go at the Merc and it seems to have more push than I remember previously.
    Tried with the lotus formula retro last night and it was horrendous, every time I turned it wanted to spin out.
    I then tried the Porsche cup car, the 4.0 version on Imola 72 and found it was a barge, did not want to turn no matter what I did with the setup. In the race it was very inconsistent. As my tyres wore down and then on new slicks after my pitstop it started wanting to spin out in second gear turning left at the first hairpin. Then on the last corner before the main straight in 2nd and 3rd gear even on part throttle it started wanting to go sideways. It did not do that in practice, q or the first part of the race, very weird.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

No problems with the AMG at Silverstone here (default setup except my usual TC at 11% slip with front-engined GT3 cars). Probably the fastest it's ever been thanks to the reduction in drivetrain friction. Check the track temperatures though, if you run clear weather at Silverstone you get a 45 C track, and soft tyres will overheat within a couple of laps if you push even a little. After that it definitely gets slippy, but I wouldn't say it has "no grip" even then.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

The most pronounced problematic character, GT3s probably have, is the behaviour at strong braking and coming off the brakes too fast after it. On a track like Donington Park it can really kill your lap through the hairpins. So especially low speed grip makes the impression of being bad. (It actually isn't so much, but i recommend using ABS and TC at high, it's definetly not cheating to use it with these cars and part of the setup)

And yes, high track temps (avoid clear weather and light clouds or go to hard slicks) can really make a difference. Example Bathurst at a clear noon session can really make your boots creamy after 1 lap already :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1