1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Automobilista 2 controller/gamepad friendly?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by JVgiar, Apr 4, 2021.

1. JVgiar

JVgiar New Member

Hello,

I am new to racing games and simulators and I have two games installed on my PC: Assetto Corsa and F1 2020. I am not a hardcore simulators player, like rFactor 2 or iRacing and I have do not have a wheel and pedals set. I know that a racing game with a wheel and pedal set is an exceptional experience but I do not plan to get one soon.

The reasons that I have chosen Assetto Corsa and F1 2020 are various but one of them is that according to several reviews and many forums threads these two games seemed to be among the most controllers/gamepad friendly. Indeed, I find them quite easy to play with a controller after several configurations of the settings.

It seems that the opinions of reviewers about Automobilista 2 controllers' friendliness are very diverse: from OK to unplayable. I have played the demo of PC2 and I found it quite difficult to play with my controller and since PC2 and Automobilista 2 are based on the same engine; I am quite worried.
    I have no idea how long these reviewers have spent playing Automobilista 2 with a controller so I would like to ask your take about this subject.

Thank you very much

2. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

imo, not good with gamepad. It's been discussed quite a bit on this forum over the past year, eg. see this thread and this thread.

I started out on gamepad and found Automobilista 2 way too twitchy and over-sensitive. None of the current settings allowed a nice smooth experience. I also played Project Cars 2 (on PS4) with gamepad and would say it was about the same.

I also played various other sims with gamepad and found rFactor2 and Automobilista 1 were both excellent, RaceRoom very good and Assetto Corsa pretty good.

I eventually bought a steering wheel in the Black Friday sales last November, so can now enjoy the game.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. JVgiar

JVgiar New Member

Thank you very much for your input.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

If youre interested enough to ask about it, youre probably jnterested enough to buy an entry level steering wheel and find out if this hobby is for you.
    You can find a used Logitech wheel pretty cheap these days... ;)

• Creative Creative x 1
  5. Pacchia

Pacchia Member

I would say it's not bad with keyboard as long as you don't choose a very difficult car to drive

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It does depend on the car, but I play PC2 a lot on PS4 with a pad and I like it. I did need to set it to my liking from default though. I thought AMS2 worked quite well with the same settings on a pad. PC2 can be picked up for next to nothing, so maybe give that a try. That gives Reiza time to improve the AMS2 gamepad experience, which is understandably a bit lower down the priority list as wheel users are currently more common.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

It's very similar to PC2 (probably the same for now?). F1 is completely different level and for beginners. AC on the other hand is a bit more accessible than PC overall. But if you like AC you will love AMS2 too.

8. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

There is good news in the latest Development Update - gamepad support is to be addressed.

9. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

Nice. But I hope they won't destroy it :D PC controls are not the best but not bad at all. I would like to see more "sliders" like rates and delays for everything. Better sensitivity settings like AC or R3E has.