1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What video settings could improve performance? (stuttering vs sudden time acceleration-slowdown)

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Pacchia, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Pacchia

Pacchia Member

Hi all,

After the last updates I have started having some problems, video performance is not as smooth as before..
    Fps are always at 60, except for some sudden drops.

I have played with settings a bit: I found that by turning V-Sync OFF I can get higher fps (about 120), but sometimes I get about 1 second of faster or slower animation. (imagine time speeding up or down suddenly, all cars move slower or faster for about 1 second, and therefore I often lose control of my car in that way..imagine it happens in the middle of a corner...)

Instead, if I turn V-Sync ON I get constant fps of 60, but sometimes I get the occasional stuttering (action "stops" for a fraction of second)..the difference with the other exaple above is that animation doesn't go slower or faster..it stops for a fraction.

So for now I have to choose one between these annoying things :(
    Below are my current settings, is there any way I can improve them for better performance?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Koen_Sch

Koen_Sch Active Member

Same here with the sudden slowing down of time, followed by the sudden speeding of the time. The game runs quite nicely pretty much all the time.

Hopefully someone knows a fix.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gazzawesty

Gazzawesty Skunkedup AMS2 Club Member

If you are using an amd card check that optimized amd enhanced sync(or whatever its called) is off in your control panel.

4. Artur Marques

Artur Marques New Member

I also have the same problem

5. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Im running these settings without any problems - even on my pretty archaic system.
    My only advantage is that because of Win7 my graphic driver are left alone - so Im allowed to still run a 3-4 years old driver without any of the euphemistic "optimisings" :rolleyes:

Performance+driverSettings.png Visuals.png

6. Potato Player

Potato Player New Member

Yes, I made a recent thread about this too. No matter how low I drop the settings with no weather/other cars on track the frame rate will drop by around half then jump back again and it creates a warping/stutter effect. This usually happens when braking hard.

I have seen a few people now report this problem and it is interesting that if you search "Project Cars 2 stuttering" in google you will see this seems to be a longstanding issue with the game engine.

7. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

OK now I have re-read OPs description.
    If it is as example only the animations(like LB ghosts) suddenly jumping faster and then jump down to normal speed then this happens all the time on the TT LBs.
    I often se it in the rear mirror.
    But because its only the ghosts and not player car I have until now just accepted it as some kind of Madness shortcomming:rolleyes:

8. Artur Marques

Artur Marques New Member

with me this problem happens only during races, TT and practice there is no problem

9. Koen_Sch

Koen_Sch Active Member

Had the same problem still with the new update. It seems to happen somewhat randomly throughout a race.
    It's especially annoying when it happen right before/in a braking zone.

10. Pacchia

Pacchia Member

For your information:
    Uninstalled Ams2 and reinstalled, the problem seems to have disappeared almost completely.
    Yesyerday I played for about 3 hrs and only got one little "fast forward warp" of about 1 second

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Koen_Sch

Koen_Sch Active Member

I will try this. I'll report back when I've done some racing.

12. Koen_Sch

Koen_Sch Active Member

Tried it, but it did not solve the issue for me.

13. Pacchia

Pacchia Member

Oh..I am sorry you lost time following my tip. It did make things better for me

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Is there anything in common about the systems where this happens? CPU type/vintage? Graphics card type/vintage? Sound hardware? FFB Controller? When it happens on track (i.e., in concert with many AI being nearby or a sound event like skidding or some graphical flourish like dust/smoke)?

15. Koen_Sch

Koen_Sch Active Member

No worries. Definitely worth the try.

16. Koen_Sch

Koen_Sch Active Member

Not that I'm aware of. It happens no matter the track/car/class selected.

17. bazziboy

bazziboy Member

I had a similar problem a while ago, you can find it described in detail when you search for stuttering/rubberbanding or so.
    The problem on my side as it turned out was my controller, an ancient Microsoft Sidewinder FFB wheel. After getting a thurstmaster wheel, the problem disappeared. I would try to plug in a different controller, like a gamepad and see if it changes something.

I have the suspicion, that the USB clock rate was too high for the wheel. In ACC or BeamNG you can turn it down to like 222 Hz or 111 Hz, which my wheel could cope with. I asked for a similar setting in AMS2 but to no avail... :)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Interesting. According to this post, PC2 has a command-line option for selecting the FFB update rate (-ffb xxx):

Force feedback explained. Configuration settings for all cars and tips - Page 5

Maybe people can test to see if it makes a difference or whether this option has been deprecated in AMS2.

• Like Like x 1
  19. bazziboy

bazziboy Member

That's also interesting, if only i knew this earlier...I imagine, ams2 has the same cmd-line options?

According to the post, the Microsoft Wheel was only capable of:

Microsoft Sidewinder Wheel USB (red) (240 deg)
    60 hz update rate (14-16ms delay)
    44 ms latency (first move)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Pacchia

Pacchia Member

The controller issue was not my case though, as I am currently playing with keyboard (recovering from leg injury)