1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Visiting the historic Imola small town.

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by BrunoB, Apr 3, 2021.

1. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I just discovered the historic 72 Imola track from before the F1 autorities mandatorily downgraded racing tracks with chicanes and very (often uber)safe track layouts.
    What I mean is that on this track you can still feel and see how racing tracks often originally came out of normal roads temporarily used to weekends local racing events.
    I havent researched Imola 72 but driving on this historic gem I personally get the feeling of driving around in an Italian small town and its surburban roads with a lot of "natural" street levitations intact.:p
    And if you want some good fun in AMS2 while sucking in such kind of small town atmosphere then just follow this teaser.:D

ByTheWay: Hehe at the same time this is an easy way of grabbing a good position on a TT Leaderboard in as example the F-Reiza.:rolleyes:

ImolaHistoric72.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Interesting post
    More older tracks Including Monaco will always appeal to me, houses trees, lamp post etc.
    Imola historic in game is tip top imo, as are other historics, esp in appropriate cars. V10 should be a blast and other moderns. not tried modern v10 there yet.
    Chicanes, well they came about for a good reason, but I much dislike the effect of them with fast track sanitation.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. BrunoB

Just chect it out in your favorite car - I think everybody would enjoy the atmosphere.:D

ByTheWay: When I yesterday by coincidence found this gem I immidiately remembered that one of the really famous virtual historical tracks I would love to try is one in rF2.
    I never got it installed because my rF2 install messed completely up. But I think this track was called Longford (something).:rolleyes:

4. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes Longford, an Australian track, maybe in Tasmania? Was good quality mod

5. MCor57

MCor57 Active Member

Between the 1930s and 1950s many Italian races were held in city races or racetracks with direct access to city streets, such as the Enna / Pergusa racetrack, Monza, the famous Targa Florio (from "37 to" 40 used to run inside a racecourse) and many others:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. BrunoB

Oh man :)
    Targa Florio would be a dream - something like making a hollyday trip to Sicily in a racing car :D
    But I guess that the original sim able to offer this loooong track was GPL - because it was created by the GPL community tifosis.;)
    But ok I have seen rF2 and AC have ported this great track since then ;)

targa.jpg Chaparal 2F Targa Florio.jpg targaMap.jpg

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. MCor57

MCor57 Active Member

I'm from sicily and I can tell you that there is a wonderful atmosphere in the Targa Florio "A Cursa". there is a lot of history behind it, so many anecdotes. Even visiting places like Floriopoli, Collesano, Cerda, towns where the Targa has left a strong memory.:D

The photo of Alfa Romeo 33/3 # 5 was Daniel Ricciardo in Collesano for a Red Bull commercial;)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. BrunoB

What what?
    That Daniel Ricciardo?
    Hehe when checking the picture its easy to see that the small kid in the middle are close to think that the adult guys around him are maybe a bit too much "hysterical". :p

ByTheWay: The 3 guys to the right on the other side of the road does not exactly stand the best place - I mean from a safety point :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. MCor57

MCor57 Active Member

;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. BrunoB

Thanks for sharing.
    It could have been fun to see more of Ricciardos actual driving :)

ByTheWay: As allways he is a nice guy - and I think that the only one that (maybe) dont like him so much would be a certain Max from Holland :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Alwin Papegaaij

Alwin Papegaaij Active Member

Most of us Dutchies actually still really like Riciardo, and it is my understanding that Max also still likes him :)
    Max is faster than him anyway:p

12. BrunoB

Maybe you are able to see a contradiction between these two comments - since you have to express that "most Dutchies actually like Riciardo".
    I am not - even if I pull my hair out and try to twist the words :whistle:

13. Alwin Papegaaij

:)
    Haha you are right

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Alwin Papegaaij

Thing is: Some people in The Netherlands (maybe also in other places) see Verstappen as a sort of a god. Nothing he does is wrong. And Riciardo, when he left Red Bull, was seen by those people as a traitor (I know, ridiculous, and not my opinion).
    So not everyone likes Riciardo unfortunately.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I flew over the Imola circuit in Microsoft Flight sim the other week, I never realised there was a big river alongside the track - there's a lot you don't see from track level.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. Pacchia

Pacchia Member

Yes, it's the river that prevents the runoff at Tamburello from being extended.
    That's why they built the chicane there afer 1994.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. BrunoB

I think I heard something about the close river after the tragic Senna accident.
    I mean as an explanation that there was not enough run off area at Tamburelloo_O

18. Pacchia

Pacchia Member

Yes correct. The river is called Santerno

• Like Like x 2
  19. mansell

mansell Member

i've been twice in imola (not in a race though). i was able to ride my bicycle on the actual track. in the middle of the track there is a park called "mineral water park" and there is a spring of mineral water wich gave the name to the famous corner (i've master it easy with my bicycle...:p).
    very beautiful place.
    drive from imola to mugello (about 1.5 hour) via the italian mountains is a great experience.
    actually you can drive from misano to imola then to mugello and finish in maranello in one morning (if you driving a... german car! LOL)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. Pacchia

Pacchia Member

Not to mention Varano, which is a pretty crap track :)

• Like Like x 1