1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.1.3.5 RELEASED!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 31, 2021.

1. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

No. But I think its funny correlating how to calculate grip in a racing game with if the game is realistic or not.

2. Jebalkin

Jebalkin New Member

I wish we could get some weekly tracks/combos promo or something, some kind of incentive for people to race on particular track(talking mp), instead of driving whatever most filled lobby is. Simracing for me is for thrills when I try to catch and folow/overtake other real people and for those moments, I only care for how many people there is in a lobby, because caring about track/car makes you play half empty lobbies. And the problem is, you never know what race you gonna get, so I don't even know what track to train on, I can spend couple hours training spa, brands hatch or whatever, but then I get frustrated when I can't find any of those lobbies online. I do believe there is more people like me, that prioritize healthy lobbies instead of well know tracks/combos. And that comes with a pain of incompetent drivers on the track, which we all know the story of.

Now, I don't really have much to suggest, this problem should go away as at time goes and more people will grab on the ams2, but at the moment some kind of direction would really help. I like how grand turismo sport does it, each week we have 3 rotating tracks, first one is most of the time low powered/simple track, second one is more serious one(more powerful cars, more technical track) and third one is even more of the same. I know, what car and what track I will race tomorrow and what can I train for. And that is great, for me, and for my opponents.

Ams2 is my favorite sim, but inconsistent mp experience, makes me hesitate on launching it after some time after update when online count lowers down. But, its not all that bad. Or is it? Ams2 made all other sims feel kinda boring, the sensation of car control, I don't feel in any other sim. But is that to be happy about? :D I would be happily playing acc... First world simracer problems :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Split Second

Split Second Active Member

It is a small part of the calculation I think. I know it is the whole that counts.

4. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

AMS2 simulates historic race cars too. And in those glory days of racing the real life racing teams had to rely on their drivers saying: “I really feel this change did raise the grip”... :D;)
    ByTheWay: Do you also use “by the way” a lot when you talk or only when you write?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

Actual photo of Bruno
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 13
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. BrunoB

Ofcourse you are right here.
    If you goes enough years back then they had not even telemetry - and were probably more dependent of the drivers precise feedback than now. Because they had nothing else.

ByTheWay: Such a closing note is often good to sum some urgent point up - before people falls asleep. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

In English, "by the way" is used as an aside, to bring up a sometimes adjacent point, but other times completely unrelated and just a way to sneak in the last word in an argument. "To summarize" would be much closer to your interpretation, or perhaps TL;DR; in today's internet lingo.

Otherwise, it can leave the following impression on people, especially when you write it in bold letters in order to attract attention:
    bytheway.jpg

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

For touring cars, I wouldn't be surprised if TCR South America was added to AMS2 at some point. We have some of the tracks already and the inaugural season is this year...

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

maybe for Renato Martins as that's his VW truck.. or not.. :p

10. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Sure?
    Inspector Columbo had always a smart "by the way" and solved problems but with Bruno, mmmhhh, not always o_O

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. Not_DrRyan

Not_DrRyan New Member

Does anyone know which tracks are laser scanned? As the FFB gets better with each update there seems to be significant variance between tracks in terms of road feel. Overall it feels great but some tracks are more lively (Brands Hatch being a good example).

13. Koen_Sch

Koen_Sch Active Member

This isn't really the point I tried to make.
    Yes getting a grip value from a game is fairly straight forward, because, obviously, the game needs to calculate this grip to model the cars behaviour. Adding an output from this model to telemetry is indeed very simple. This is 100% correct and accurate.

What I meant was that is is practically impossible to validate this output to "realistic" racing data. This is because this data is not available/reliable. As mentioned before, grip is dependant on many factor, all having an impact and some being very difficult to measure, and practically impossible to predict. In practice this is dealt with by using correlations with differing complexities, and therefore, differing accuracies.

So whilst getting data from the game is fairly straight forward, making a useful statement on how realistic that behaviour is, is practically impossible.

This doesn't mean though that approaching more "realistic" grip cannot be done. It juts means, that you cant just compare two lines and say "this is how it should be".

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  14. BrunoB

@DrRyan if you by "lively" mean the cars vertical movements then it has not a directly correlation to the tarmac textures you see on a track.
    As least as I understand it ;) you are not driving exactly on the visual track tarmac the track designers have painted and what is displayed for the users.
    Instead our virtual cars drive on an invisible "mesh" that is an average of the surface established by all the visual painted tarmac points.
    This is the reason it doesnt really matter (conserning the vertical movements) if the track is laserscanned or not.
    My understanding is based on experience with (if I recall right) iRacing where the several years ago was some bugs on some tracks where the car dipped slightly underground or flew over the visual track surface because missing correlation between the visual surface and the hidden one.

ByTheWay: I found this pic to visualise how (I understand) the difference between the two surfaces. :p

mesh.jpg

15. Coanda

I'm still getting a 20-25 degree pull right for the M23 on a straight line brake test.. What is odd is when I first raised this in the last build it was pulling left.

Add: tested Lotus 79 it was fine.. Something up with the M23. I'll test the others..

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  16. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

AMS2 in its principles is not different from other sims. I agree that all racing teams do a lot of telemetry data collection to figure out the maps of grip with a significant number of variables like pressure, downforce, track temp, several critical setups settings.
    But for those data to make sense they need to carry out thousands of km of data collection in several different conditions and tracks.
    Doing so in a handful of laps is not going to make any good in telling if the grip is more or less after a change (which was the original subject), if nothing just because the max grip may still be the same except the optimal settings/conditions have shifted.

17. Coanda

@CrimsonEminence - I tested all Retros and they are great. I reset the M23 to default setup and bingo it behaves like the others.. So much better now.. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  18. BrunoB

I consider this as some kind of strawman discussion where you try to discuss something else than any of my comments does say.
    Which of my comments/posts here does say something about the correlation from calculating grip in a racing game and to what you call "realistic" racing data?:rolleyes:

What I say is that from the rather restricted telemetry data that some racing games are able to output it IS actually possible to calculate the grip values the game does produce.
    In a certain car - with a certain setup - on a certain track - on a certain time.
    Nothing more and nothing less.:cool:
    ByTheWay: Oh simple ahh? And even veeery simple.:rolleyes:
    Haha good one. If it was so simple why havent anybody else of all sim drivers in the sim world done it?
    :p:p

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. BrunoB

I think both the iRacing devs (that I refered to) and probably also the Reiza devs could tell you otherwise.

20. Koen_Sch

Koen_Sch Active Member

Yeah, this is gonna be a no from me dawg.

I'm not forcing you into any position. I'm just clarifying the point I tried to make in my response to split second. I was under the impression it wasn't clear, reading the responses.
    But if you feel like this is a straw man, that's just you man. Have a nice day.