1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes I agree with you ... but at this point, in general and not refer to the kart, I am more inclined to believe that is the game the problem and not the file ... I think the file is fixed regardless ... it is how it is utilized or not that changes and it can only be the game ... I repeat to me sometimes the FFB changes if I tinker with the graphic options .... and as if by changing and saving the settings this allows the correct reading and/or the correct use of everything ... then casually without knowing why it deactivates something and then randomly and/or at the first change it returns ... ;)

EDIT: Sorry my english is terrible without google traslator :D

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  2. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

3. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

True Superkarts actually have a Disc Brake on the rear as well as a Disc Brake on each Front Wheel/Axle

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Stakanov

Sorry for the length, but I did some homework and I would like to go back to setting the FFB parameters for the karts that I mistakenly thought were totally broken in AMS and instead I must admit that only the SuperKart type is problematic, but let's go step by step ... ;)

From what I have read, in short, in theory GoKart's could have 4 main types as brakes, such as:
    - the Scrubs (uses metal paddles that press against the rear end of tires to stop the vehicle. They are pretty effective but hard on tires and ruin the wheels);
    - i Band (utilizes a metal band to constrict the speed of a tire from the outside. They are inexpensive but not effective in wet conditions);
    - i Drum (Opposite of band brakes, drum brakes expand inside a brake drum. They are very effective and have better life cycle, but it is difficult to incorporate into the wheel kart, and heat dissipation does not happen, and hence isnt convenient);
    - and finally the Discs (the best braking solutions, go for high-tech disk braking systems, they have superior stopping power, even when wet).

Let's leave the first 3 types, old and little used in competitions alone and let's focus on the disc ones. Single hydraulic disc brake, mounted on the rear axle of the kart, will be sufficient for running at rpm lower than 4500–5000 and especially with only one gear. Instead, Karts with higher rpms and with the gears can use disc brakes for all the tires (max 1 or 2 on the rear axle + 2 on the front wheels). But yes, while building a kart, considering space and weight constraint, most of the karts will be designed with single disc.
    Having said the above, we can presumably state that in AMS2, the Kart GX390 Rental and the Kart GX390 Race have one disk at the rear, perhaps the Kart 125cc Shifter remains in doubt but is plusible one brake (but could also have 2 front brakes), but surely the SuperKart 250cc should have 1 or 2 brakes in the rear axle + 2 on the front wheels (braking at more than 200 and passing Km/h with only one rear brake would seem implausible) ... the difference in terms of driveability (and therefore of FFB) between those who have only one rear brake and those who also have front brakes should be enormous ... and certainly, even if very sensitive and snappy, the SuperKart should have a more similar logic (albeit very distant) to an extreme mini-automotive approach.

[​IMG]

We have seen that, it would be plausible to be able to drive the first 3 types of karts and, instead, it would be complicated to manage the SuperKArt 250cc ... if we add to this also the random defect of the broken brake in all Kart, the question becomes more complicated but we can certainly look for an FFB setting that can manage at least the first 3 types of Kart.

And in fact maybe I'm succeeding ... and I hope by tonight to update the Easter file for the Logitech bases ... something I have already tried and i dont now if it seems to work, later I send you the EasterFile-wipKart file to do some tests too and give me yours feedback!!!!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  5. bazziboy

bazziboy Member

Maximum coldness, or better missing of energy in matter is 0K (Kelvin) or -273,16°C.

Edit: I was interested if there is a maximum Temperature and found this:

Maximum Temp. outside of black holes is 1,41679·10^32 K (Planck-Temperature)
    That's 141679000000000000000000000000000K if i'm correct :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  6. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

Yep. The shifters (125's and 250's) should have disc brakes front left/right, and a single rear which is of course on a single, solid rear axle.

There are definitely some tweaks needed with the braking physics or actual code setup for the superkart, but I'll expand on that when I have more time either here or likely elsewhere.

Staying on the topic of the actual FFB, I think it translates a braking physics issue quite well (Especially felt very well if you switch between braking methods).

So overall, I think the FFB is pretty good TBH, it's just the 'Harshness' (Rattling/oscillation) that I seem to be struggling with. But at 3am last night I did find a track that has been the smoothest so far (Nurb GP).

7. Stakanov

@TekNeil .... Does the 250 (or 125) drive in sequenzial or H but with automatic or manual clutch ??

8. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

@Stakanov Sequential [Thumbs up] with a lift of throttle to change up. (Sorry if video confused, I'm just a sucker for banging through a gearbox with a lever lol).
    Edit: Just to add, that the clutch should actually work, but it doesn't work at all in-game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

WIP!!

I think in the physics the Superkarts only have the single brakes copied from the lower kart series. Same for 125cc shifter. The lower series has some issue with intermittent brake temp craziness on the unused rear brake (Reiza picked the left one to represent the real brake...you have to pick one unless you intend to do a special HUD just for the karts). This carries over to the bigger karts...not surprisingly, since some parts are "copy and paste."

I agree with @Stakanov that given all this it is premature to spend time fiddling with the intricacies of these vehicles (setups or FFB) when they are clearly not finished and not working properly.

That being said, you can actually have a lot of fun with them in their current state...just have to ignore the realism part temporarily. Fixing the karts properly is I am sure one of the many things that have been delayed by the efforts to work on the more extensive physics changes that have continued right up to the last update.

The only real issue for me is whether a FFB custom file can predictably alter these physics/programming in the game because if so, it needs to be fed into the devs. The two issues are the ability to move the brake anomaly to the unused front brake on the Superkart (assuming none of us has ever seen that before in any other circumstances) and the timing slow down issue. Of course, when stepping back, one could see that these two things may be related, so it is important to isolate which custom files produce which effects on which type of CPU and GPU hardware.

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Funny this programming error didn't follow the real-world laws of physics...:rolleyes:

11. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

Hey guys, first of all thanks for sharing these FFB files and changes. Ive been using the Easter one and it has really improved the FFB so far. I adjusted them according to the quoted post as well but I find the FFB is still lacking any kerb feel.
    Im using a CSL Elite and in other sims, kerbs really feel like actual kerbs.
    In AMS2 I feel a really faint rumble but nowhere near as pronounced as it should be.

Anyone know how I can change this?

12. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That’s strange, I find the kerbs to be more pronounced in the Easter file. What are your in game settings for gain, LFB, fx and damping?

13. MCor57

MCor57 Active Member

Hello @Stakanov

I tried the file (Date 06/04/2021) with some historical / modern formulas and DTM '90, I liked it a lot, a step ahead of the previous one. The only negative flaw .. with the "gen" formulas the steering wheel is very stiff on wavy asphalt. In my opinion, sistermalo means losing the excellent feedback with the other cars, for example the modern Formulas, GTs and Stock Cars ..

If you could create multiple profiles for the FFB.:rolleyes:

14. JoKeR

JoKeR Member

Reducing FFB force on that specific car doesn't help?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

About to post this .zip file.
    @Peter Stefani @Stakanov @Alegunner68 @Ray Sheppard @Kuku Maddog, your latest files are included.
    @Alegunner68 @Ray Sheppard I took your settings from your latest files and somewhat transferred to the "EasterFuktor" file (the new naming still makes me giggle :)), I did not have time to verify if they are ok & also important that you guys feel them to be as you like them before I post in the 1st post, so please verify if your time allows and let me know.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. Stakanov

Thanks to @Karsten Hvidberg & Co. as always - You can put in the *zip ;)

Name: Silver Raw - EasterFuktor+Kart(WIP) - Tuned by Stakanov for Logitech G920 (also G29-27-25)
    In game controller setting select "Custom" with this starting value: GAIN 65* LFB 50 FX 55 DP 55. (Date 09/04/2021)
    *Then, in the car setting, use +/- % of Gain for car to taste. ;)
    Note: For cars that are too swaying and/or with elastic effect, if you don't like, try to lower the LFB to 45, 40 or 35 to taste.

ALL OTHER CAR: The new file is the same as the previous version for "normal" car, this file is only altered by the fact that i have added lines of code and tuning relating to Kart (WIP*)

KART (WIP)* - Still to be developed but already usable.
    The karts represent a driving experience totally different from the other cars present in AMS 2, in reality a driver is seated a few centimeters from the ground, he holds a steering wheel characterized by a very tight center, very few degrees of rotation are enough to turn, they drive always at the limit of tire grip and the driver feels with his body the whole frame, the engine and the wheel on the road, moreover often, both in deceleration and in acceleration, he swerves a lot and to close the curve you help yourself a lot with the gears, with the body and sensibly with the brakes ,,, this is precisely an essential feature of driving these vehicles ... therefore if you approach these vehicles, it requires a lot of habit and a lot of hand-eye coordination to bring these vehicles to the limit (to whom approaches the karts in AMS 2 and is not used to this guide, I recommend getting used to it by trying a lot and this both using the default preset and/or the custom file). Obviously the goal will be to beat the Default also on karts in the future

After two intensive days, I have to confirm and underline (as anticipated by @TekNeil) that the Kart Default FFB is not bad, indeed it is quite consistent, but if we use Custom files we should change the preset to Default (TBH) every time. That's why we started developing the specific FFB tuning for Kart within the Karsten Custom file.
    Let's start by saying that the karts on AMS 2 are not perfect and still need to be fixed by Reiza, or rather, all the low-end ones are more completed and almost coherent, while the two superior and more powerful karts with sequential gearbox (125 and 250) no, they still have to be fixed and currently it seems that they have been inserted into the game by physically copying the base from the lower ones. It follows that for example they are not equipped with front brakes but only with a brake at the rear (the left one in the HUD) and also the 250 has a bug that already at start up detects a break in the right brake (thermal defect and breakage) therefore from a physical point of view it is necessary to bring these 2 vehicles above all, knowing that braking and other aspects are not perfect, so we begin to set these parameters too, hoping to be able to fix even these small but extreme racing vehicles in sensations. ... ;)

I remind everyone that the files are tuned for Logitech bases, others who own low-end and/or medium-end steering wheels can try it (especially on most of the "normal" cars present in AMS 2 ;)), but it is obvious (especially on the Kart) that they can have wrong sensations on their steering wheel because the settings are so sensitive and extreme even a very small modification it can lead to great differences, moreover each of us is different and in the KArt the discrepancy of judgment will obviously be high.
    For those who are not used to driving karts in AMS 2, I recommend prolonged use in game to give our senses a chance to get used to them, at least one day of testing is recommended ... watch out for braking (which must be done with a brake wire while downshifting at the same time as right moment), not to downshift too quickly and use the steering wheel with very little turning around the center, except when skidding in a controlled way in counter-steering.

Features that I already find better on the Custom than the Default:
    - Narrower center and strong self aligning torque;
    - Good tire feel;
    - Less vibrations and road noise (always present equally);
    - Better counter-steering especially in medium and/or wide curves;
    - Better driveability at medium-high speed.
    Better features on Default and to be developed in the future on Custom:
    - Greater softness during rotation (I already have an idea for the next rev.);
    - More controlled braking and fewer problems with its control when it is more violent;
    - More controllable downshifting of low gears (perhaps)
    (PERSONAL OPINION OF COURSE!!!!)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  17. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

I had a bit of a test by running default in Porsche GT3 around the new historical oval. which i’ve done many laps on and have a quick time in TT
    I didn’t run vs my own ghost as wanted to be not just trying to find more pace than the ghost . i just run laps and was focused on execution as normal.
    after a few laps i was able to better time by a couple of tenths ( hardly a major variation)

my conclusions are that custom file give much more braking and turn in stability or loss of stability feel than default .
    in default i was able to go into turn easier and not feel any pinch from braking or pitch from rear instability, meaning i wasn’t adjusting or holding line etc .
    this is where i believe i was making tiny gains.
    because the feedback wasn’t as sensitive and thus not bringing on little forces that move the wheel slightly like in custom, I was benefiting from being none the wiser and could just turn the wheel down and hold the turn in.
    so basically it comes back to what i believe about having less feedback can be a trick to being fast . A trick some aliens use.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. bazziboy

bazziboy Member

That makes sense to me. Wouldn't that also mean, that pros, aliens or default users are in more danger by ignoring the feeling of these little glitches?
    Wouldn't it also help to just turn down gain in custom?

19. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Well maybe, I tend to run lighter than others I think, but mainly just the peak force, I still want a normal weight feel off peak.
    I returned to custom and ran against the default ghost I’d set a time on, and was easily able to match it and then better it while still having much better feel and was far more consistent. it just makes life harder if I get things wrong.
    I still can’t find a good setting for default, it’s too crash and bash on bumps and too light when grip lost vs peak load.
    Custom is miles better balanced and clearly isn’t slowing anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi Karsten,

Firstly, thanks so much for taking the time to do this. You are very kind to spend so much time on this. I had previously tried tweaking EasterFuktor file, but I was struggling to get it to the right place, and I was always drawn back to my tweaked v3.2.

So now I just tried the latest CSL file from your .zip package, and first impressions are very positive. I ran the Porsche Cup 3.8 and the Formula Trainer Advanced. In both cars I felt the file worked really well. Catching oversteer moments in both cars, was superb. I suspect I may do a little bit of experimenting with certain effects (road texture for example), but I doubt I will move too far away from the base file. Oh btw, I am now running gain at around 65, LFB 46, FX 55, Damping (power steering!) ~50.

Ray.

• Like Like x 1