1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game slows down while racing against AI

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by ramsus, Apr 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. ramsus

ramsus New Member

Hey.
    I recently bought AMS2 w/DLCs etc. I played a for bit in time trial mode and everything was running smoothly. I then decided to try out the championship mode and everything was normal for the first minute or so. Suddenly the game slowed down to about 50% from its normal speed and it didn't go back to normal (but it still ran smoothly though (only in "slow-mo")). When I tried quick race mode against AI, the same thing happened. I've played with both high and low settings, but it hasn't changed anything either. Can anyone help me? (I get the same problem with Assetto Corsa and ACC, only they lag as well).
    Cheers.

My specs:
    Processor:
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz
    Speed:
    4.1 GHz
    RAM:
    16 GB
    Video Card:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
    Dedicated Memory:
    6.0 GB
    Total Memory:
    14 GB

2. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

Is that a mobile CPU? I'd suspect CPU throttling through getting too toasty maybe? May be worth trying to run some logging with something like CPU-Z or similar.

3. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

Same specs here on my MSI laptop. I run my fans full blast to avoid thermal throttling. Letting the pc decide will cause the cpu to overheat and slow down.
    Running max i am around 88°C. At medium around 78°C.
    Make sure you aren’t throttling and you will be fine.

I also undervolt to lose a few degrees. So check a guide on that.

4. Jeff Scharpf

Jeff Scharpf Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hmm.. I have a lower spec (desktop) than you other than RAM. (I have 32G) and have no issues like this. I do see a hiccup every time the AI pits (when their pit crew "appears") and if many AI are pitting at once, I get a series of pauses.. I can turn the AI pit crews off but I like to see them so I live with this minor annoyance.

5. ZakMcKracken

ZakMcKracken New Member

Hi , what is your "resolution" and "window" setting in the performance section of the game settings screen set to ?
    Also you might try to switch "RENDER FRAMES AHEAD" setting to 1 / 2 / 3 and test any of these settings get rid of your problem , I had some strange slowdowns and skips until I set it to 1, but riding completely different hardware here.

6. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Is it car top speed that is too slow ? If that's the case, check the Traction Control setting, that it is not set to a low value (which will reduce top speed).

7. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This is usually caused by CPU throttling. The AI is very CPU intensive and if your processor is running hot (laptops etc.), it might start reducing the CPU frequency automatically.

You can check if this is happening my opening Resource Monitor and observing if the Maximum Frequency drops below 100%:

throttle.jpg

To reduce/eliminate cpu throttling:

1. Reduce graphics settings that load the CPU
    2. Make sure you are in high performance mode in Power Configuration
    3. Disable any CPU overclocks
    4. Turn off turbo mode in BIOS (if available)
    5. Use a program like ThrottleStop to prevent CPU throttling (note: this may cause damage to your hardware)

8. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

In regards to 2, it is actually not advised to be in High Performance on laptops as that will maximise the current draw, thus preventing the less intensive moments from removing heat.

In regard to 4 and 5, disabling Turbo is not a good alternative for laptops since 2GHz isn't enough for smooth performance. Instead my advice is to cap the amount of Turbo Boost through ThrottleStop or whatever AMD supported program and to undervolt the CPU to reduce the current draw and thus heat generation. DON'T TOUCH THE THERMAL LIMITS! They are there for a reason. In fact most if not all CPUs will ignore the throttle temp limit since it is cooked into the BIOS anyway.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. LuckyMic

LuckyMic New Member

I've the same problem in VR with my configuration that the game will be slower and slower every minute. For example on Nordschleife (green hell) the CPU frametime starts with 10ms and 90 fps and after one round on greenhell the CPU frametime grows over 14ms, after half of the second round, it's around 25ms and it's absolute unplayable (rubber band effects)! I tested green hell also with low settings, but only the ms start value is lower (6ms) and after one round it was arouch 11 ms (where the problem with rubber band occurs) and still growing. Remark: GPU Memory in use around 6GB, CPU Memory in use around 17 GB - it seems not a memory leak... more a thread leak (not closing threads or something like that).

My speccs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz
    RAM: 32 GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 2080 Ti
    11.0 GB
    Using SteamVR with Valve Index
    No overclocks or anything else specially...

Kind regards,
    Michael

• Informative Informative x 1