1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Are you talking about during a whole race, or just at a race start? There are some special slow race start issues affecting certain cars. But you are saying that you can race against AI at 120% and pass them easily during a normal session (P, Q or Race)? If so, can I be your e-sports manager? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I had a couple of issues with AI being to aggressive last night, one in the formula retro 2 at Interlagos just banging me around, the AI were way too fast too.
    The second was in the Mercedes GT3, can't remember the track but I lapped some backmarkers quite easily and then they got racy and stuck with me until the end of the race constantly trying to overtake me, very strange.

3. Marc Collins

Might be a "blue flags" issue where lapped cars go into super polite mode very early, but then go back to normal as soon as we pass? At that point, they are not getting a blue flag any more, so feel free to put the pedal down?

4. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

• Version: 1.1.3.5
    • Car / Track used: Cascais. GT3 (BMW & Maclaren)
    • AI Strength setting: 95
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): turn 1
    • AI Aggression setting: 60
    • Session Distance: 10 laps
    • Weather when the issue was observed: sunny
    • Type of session when the issue was observed: race
    On the main straight, the AI will often take more defensive line, but at the end of the straight they always swing to the left end of the track (often abruptly), which causes two issues. One, if I'm on the outside they tend to hit me--multiple race attempts ended this way. If I'm on the inside (which means I'm pretty much by the wall), the result of this maneuver is to cede the position to me. (It would otherwise be much harder to cleanly complete the pass if you are pinned to the far inside of the track.

(Side note: The fact that I can make a specific AI report is indication that I'm finding the AI in the latest release much better than last month).

5. F1Aussie

Could well be, just surprised they were able to stick to my pace when they obviously couldn't have previously otherwise they would not be lapped in the first place.

6. Marc Collins

These things are worth pursuing and saving replays for. AFAIK, there is zero intentional programming to cause AI to do anything other than just drive to their abilities and try to obey blue flags. If they are varying from this, and/or their capabilities ("strength" or "aggression") are shifting in the middle of a session, due to our proximity or for some other reason, we need to document how/where/when if there is ever to be a "why" discovered and fixed.

7. metzgerov

metzgerov New Member

• Car / Track used: F3/Cuitaberta
    • AI Strength setting: 87
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): Ai slow on the straights especially start/finish straight. Using default setup.
    • AI Aggression setting: 50
    • Session Distance: 10L
    • Weather when the issue was observed: All
    • Player Tyre: Slick
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player):
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): ALll

8. Pacchia

Pacchia Member

Cuitaberta? You mean Curitiba?

9. Jason Pladoh

Jason Pladoh Member

Hi Marc,

This Happens during a Race, I'm not Passing the AI easily, I just follow close and pick a place where I'm a bit faster on say, Exiting a chicane, or Breaking going into one, as soon as I pass, the AI just quits and falls back into the distance, Now I would expect to catch draft from a car in front, and go a bit quicker, with the just overtaken AI to maintain pace, but I just zoom away.

It just spoils the realism a bit for me, I want the AI to give me a fight for and to keep the Position.

J

10. Marc Collins

There has been some progress on this recently. It was worse before, if that helps ;)

But I still cannot believe that you are able to race the AI at 120% and pass them and then have them give up. Even the best "aliens" (super-fast players) cannot do that at 120% strength setting. The aggression setting is also important--what do use there? If you want them attacking and being forceful (but they should still never be reckless), use at least 75% or higher.

11. F1Aussie

Okay, I might check the replay out for that then.

12. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: 1.1.3.5
    Car / Track: Copa Montana at Bathurst
    AI Strength: 100%
    Track Position: All
    AI Aggression: 70%
    Session Distance: 20 min into session
    Weather: Dry Overcast
    Player Tyre: Soft Slick
    AI Tyre: NA
    Session Type: 60 min Practice
    Notes: Ai are 6 seconds off the pace and I have not even played with the setup. Like a lot of classes they are also slow down Conrod straight.

13. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: 1.1.3.5
    Car / Track: Formula Vee, Brands Hatch GP
    Track Position: gravel trap after Paddock Hill Bend
    Session Type: Single Race
    Notes: As soon as I put one wheel into the gravel trap, I'm drawn into it totally and almost come to a stand, while AI keeps on driving without loss of speed

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

AI can actually put two wheels on any surface, grass or gravel, without any effect.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. fischhaltefolie

Please have a look at AI of Formula Vee (currently at 90).
    AI doesn't race like monoposto. There's often some pileup, especially on narrow circuits like Adelaide or Azure. And then, like bulldozer AI plows through the chaos.
    Countless times i've been taken from the inner line of the corner, being myself on the inner line of the corner.
    Combined with my own inabillity, of always keeping the the car stabel at corner entry, I'm getting hypertension :eek: and bad feelings for AMS2 :mad: (which it doesn't deserve:oops:) everytime AI ruines my race.

16. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

And they cut corners when racing human player, just go over the grass, never step back, rather ram player off track. And they never get penalties for their reckless driving.

17. fischhaltefolie

Best thing might be, to feed the devs with car/track combos where this occurs like BH GP Surtees with F Vee.

18. muz_j

muz_j Active Member

AI pathing issue on Goiania External track

Version: 1.1.3.5.1594
    Car / Track: Porsche 962C at Goiania External
    AI Strength: 100% (but also at 105% & 110%)
    Track Position: when the AI cars enter the pits
    AI Aggression: 5%
    Session Distance: it occurs whenever the AI enter the pits - I've noted it at various stages in a qualifying session.
    Weather: Fine & with light clouds
    Player Tyre: Soft Slick
    AI Tyre: N/A
    Session Type: Qualifying - 15 minutes long.

Notes: The AI with this car and track combination (but I suspect other cars too) does a pretty violent right hand turn from the left hand side of the track and basically attempts to enter the pits from the wrong side of the track at the "last minute". I have personally had them side swipe me and I've also watched them side swipe each other.

I haven't seen this behaviour on other tracks and last night when playing on a different track (I honestly can't recall which one), I watched the exact opposite behaviour, where they pulled to the correct side of the track early and entered the pits in a normal manner.
    This seems to be some sort of AI pathing issue with this track, or perhaps this car and track combination, as I haven't driven it (yet) with other cars.
    Video showing it:

You can see it from a distance just after 4:44 then close up at 9:01.

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. metzgerov

metzgerov New Member

yes

20. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Formula V12: Engine still stalls in neutral gear with auto clutch switched on. This bug is there since January.

Edit: Ooops, wrong thread...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021