1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine health degrading really fast

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Luciano Santos Filho, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Luciano Santos Filho

Luciano Santos Filho Active Member

Hi,

I am trying to do a race against AI with the Sigma prototype. Could not finish it yet, but I noticed that in the gauge for the engine "health", the degradation is going really fast , about 4%/lap. I suppose I won't be able to race for more than 25 laps or so, before having to stop for a very long repair pit stop.

Is this expected?

I am using "accelerated" tyres/fuel and time of day is also 2x.

Thanks in advance

2. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

It's likely you're overrevving too much and too many. You can try a couple of things:

• Upshift when you see the leds or not in the red-tachometer
    • Downshift slower. So first brake a lot and then downshift
    • Don't downshift fast and then brake or doing both at same time.
    • Make the first gear a little longer for slow corner or hairpins to avoid overrevving
    • Drive slower and with more care thus managing your engine-wear. Which can add another layer of realism

That summed it a bit up.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. muz_j

muz_j Active Member

Ignore my comment - I didn't read the OP properly, or perhaps forgot the context.
    Either way, my comment was irrelevant.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  4. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The Sigma P1 has an extremely short 6th gear that you can't change (BoP?), so you bounce on the limiter all the time on some tracks. Maybe this is contributing to engine deterioration?

5. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

what's your oil and water temps? opening the radiatior duct may be in order.

My hunch is your downloaded the setup from the TT leaderboard and the guy taped it.

6. Luciano Santos Filho

I checked that and completely untaped the radiator open.

I was shifting up before the revs got to the red part of the hud gauge.

Most strange thing is that I tried to dial down the pace and that it did not seem to change anything

7. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

I suspect the turbo is causing excessive wear. No turbo I can spend all my time at full rev and damage will very very slowly build up. With 50% turbo i get 1% damage under a minute all the time. At 100 boost, the wear is stupidly fast. As far as I know, these are endurance machines. 100% boost doing speedy wear is one thing. But at 50% boost it won't be able to do a 4h race as these normally do.

• Informative Informative x 4
  8. Luciano Santos Filho

Yes, it is the turbo. And yes, it is exaggerated. It is not possible to be competitive in a long race with the engine operating like this. I am glad all this is being simulated, but I hope they fix how it is been done.

• Informative Informative x 3
  9. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

Currently the Sigma P1 is not usable. With the default setup the engine will last 2 laps on the Nordschleife. I already did a bug report on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Luciano Santos Filho

Yeah, I reacted to your report with "agree", hopefully someone will notice it... I turned mechanical failure off to be able to drive the car for now but obviously, this is not what I want.

• Like Like x 1
  11. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

and brakes fail if driving races of about 30min

12. Vitor

Vitor Member AMS2 Club Member

Well, this car is really unreliable on real life, so we could just call it realism :)

13. Luciano Santos Filho

I thought the same but would prefer not to have ALL this realism so we can have better racing (or better SIMracing at least).

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Adding a new layer of realism by balancing your engine wear and other wear is the new simracing. It opened my eyes. Why always pewpewpewpewpew. Now we can pewpewpew, balance, drive slower for a while, more pewpewpewpewpew, take care of all the parts and then last 2 laps again pewpewpew and finish on the position you really deserve.

Last few days it opened my eyes and I will never ever want to peak the whole race. I want to manage my car, I want to pick my battles based on how far I can push the car without breaking it. etc etc It's the same thing you run out of gas or near gas and can't find a fricking tankstation. Until you finally found one. ''Can I make it?''

Imagine next patch or so whatever. You have to really manage your engine during half a championship. You've to pick your races whom are most important, you've to pick your battles, and if you drive too fast, too hard, too etc, and last 2 races before the swap your engine is likely near doa.. so you've to drive really really slow and careful thus losing lots of points. But if you picked your battles correctly you could have been 5th in the ranking instead of 11th.

I will never ever join a lobby with damage being set to off. Well, ofcourse I will perhaps join, but I won't like the constant peaking without consequences.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Luciano Santos Filho

Well, OK Marius, but the way it is now the Sigma simply won't last, doesn't matter how you drive it.

What I said about not getting too realistic is just because some cars in the Brazilian Endurance Championship (IRL) are just too unreliable, to the point that it is not fun to drive them in long races.

What I would like to see are these cars being possible to be taken to the end of a 4-6h race, with some management.

• Agree Agree x 1