1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Physic discussion thread

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Avoletta1977, Jan 3, 2021.

1. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

It's not unheard of for a race car to cock a wheel when it's gripping and leaning on one corner like that. It's very typical in crazy hot hatches. I remember Top Gear always mentioning it happily whenever a hot hatch did that.

Probably a bit difficult to know how often that happens in the older stock cars without studying a lot of footage or just having a stock car engineer tell us. The rear ARB seems really soft here though and I would agree that the car seems off in your video.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The Old Stocks do have quite a bit of body roll irl, but maybe not this much:

The ride height seems too high in AMS2, they run very close to the ground irl. Maybe also ARBs should be stiffer. The physics of weight transfer itself seems fine.

• Like Like x 3
  3. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

I think that's totally beleivable depending on the amount of suspension travel those cars realistically had.

4. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

Yeah I was thinking the same that it demonstrates physics nicely, but the suspension setup seems suspicious.

5. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

This was actually an issue before this build and is now on a more reasonable scale, might need further adjustments, but it's not totally unreasonable for such an old-ish car.

6. Aivian

Aivian New Member

Hello guys ! First of all, I would like to mention that I bought the game the day it was released and I am not disappointed at all, it has a great potential. But I would like to know your opinion about the physics of this simracing game!

In my opinion, some of the aspect are weird or a bit disappointing, like the grip physics, on some car it is perfect, with the Camaro SS, you can slide by braking or throttling while turning into a corner, but on others, it won't slide anyway! With the M1 Procar (wich is really fun to drive I think), you can do whatever you want, it won't slide, you won't lose grip, or just a bit at best and the car will take the grip instantly! Or it will slide like an AWD car.

It feels like the car has a Traction control and an electronnic stability program that can't be turned off even if I turn it off in the game settings.

I find it a bit frustrating that on some cars (gt3 by example), the grip feels a bit unpredictable, and I feel that something is missing to have the perfect sim game...

What is your opinion on the topic? (sorry for the mistakes, I am not fluent in English :3 )

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I think most people here would agree that AMS2 is not the perfect sim.
    But without any sarcasm then your oppinion/experience that some cars feels almost spot on while others feels pure poo is also something that at least a lot of people has voiced here.
    But welcome - anyway :D

8. Wilfred de Ruijter

Wilfred de Ruijter Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think the phisics changed quite a lot. So I changed my preferred car from the Trained advanced to Rocco, formula Vee, Lancer, Fusca HC, Ginetta G55 and G40. I my opinion all these cars were nice to drive and at other times not so great. Luckily we have sufficient cars to change to if our preferred car has been changed and isn't so nice to drive after that. This way I also learned a lot about the setup of the cars and my driving style.

9. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

I’m not sure if ride heights are the issue.
    it’s more the defined centre of gravity.
    Reiza recently changed the COG of the V8 supercar and it helped with its exaggerated body roll. but i still think it could be lowered more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Aivian

Aivian New Member

Thank you for your anwer! I was just wondering if I should reinstall my game, maybe it is broken that's why wheels won't spin even in 1st gear on the procar :x

11. azaris

While part of the excessive body roll can be tempered by increasing the ARBs, there is still work to do. Compared to AMS1, it feels much less connected to the road, even off-throttle the car feels floaty and the rear constantly wants to slop out, like it has a fraction of its real weight. It squirms and flops around (similar to the Group C's) when you put down the throttle in a straight line on flat terrain. The Camaro SS and Old Stock suffered from similar problems and a tyre model change fixed that aspect of the handling, I hope the same happens to the V8 eventually cause it's on the cusp of becoming awesome.

For reference, some time ago I tried the Procar in some other sims (R3E, PC2, AC mod) and I couldn't do a proper burnout in any of them. Not saying that proves anything, but there are aspects of the tyres and the drivetrain that contribute and it's not as simple as "this car has 382 Nm peak torque, therefore it should do a burnout in 1st gear". Here's an account of a track test in the Group 4 version:

BMW M1 Group 4 ProCar Track Test - Motor Trend

"In the middle of the corner, the M1 understeered heavily and got worse with a new set of Avon slicks in the second race, but it remained planted and put down power well, howling off the hairpins."

Let's wait and see what the new beta patch changes will bring.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Aivian

Aivian New Member

You are absolutely right, I probably spent too much time driving on Assetto Corsa, I was probably expecting similarities between these simracing game :x

By the way, do you know when they plan to release the update? I am pretty excited to see the improvements

13. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Re V8
    Yeah it’s just so boat like the way it pitches and rolls, and is a constant handful to control even driving relatively straight. When you watch the giz on board , even driving with a broken collar bone, he’s easily able to drive a lot of the time with one hand, when shifting or resting etc.
    and there’s not much rolling around. The lateral loads are the heavy part.
    I need both hands to stop the pitch and yaw from ripping wheel out . Even with lower strength FFB.

14. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Thats whats great about the last custom file's powersteering slider :) to reduce the unrealistic torque increase with more steering angle once the tyres are loaded

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. azaris

Problem is, the forces are real and due to the rear wanting to swing out like a pendulum. Turning them off in the FFB simply masks the problem and makes you lose control without warning.

16. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

But thats not how its done, it still "detects" oversteer fine. At leats on DD it works without issues and it gives you the nice pull once rear is about to step out.
    Not sure how rear is related to powersteering feature..

17. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Hello.
    I was meaning to ask this question for some time but I cant feel any flatspot in this Game. Tried the Mclaren F1 and open wheelers so without ABS doing some trash braking but zero, don't feel any difference in the FFB on my wheel. Is that normal at all as if this was not yet properly implemented in the Game physics or am I missing something obvious?

18. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Flatspotting is implemented, you should definetly feel it, when driving the Super V8 and locking it up, best tester for this IMO. If you don't feel it with this car, it's probably your wheel settings.^^

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

What's happened to OP Avoletta1977? Doesn't seem to be around much these days.

20. Avoletta1977

Avoletta1977 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I’m fine thanks!

Working 13 hours a day, so not much time for sims (and anything else...).

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2