1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fanatec CSR replacement suggestions

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by White Oak Racing, Apr 10, 2021.

1. White Oak Racing

White Oak Racing Member AMS2 Club Member

My third of 4 Fanatec CSR wheels purchased 10 years ago (we used to have a racing club here) gave up the ghost yesterday and while I hope the last one will soldier on for a while, I figured I'd better start researching to find a replacement.

Of course, I went to the Fanatec website and frankly, I was perplexed by the options there (and amazed by the prices!) Things have changed a lot since my purchases in 2010.

As I was looking through posts on the forum here, I noted that a variety of wheels are used (Logitech, Fanatec, Thrustmaster, Simcube) and I was wondering if anyone could point me to a reasonably priced replacement for my CSR.

I mostly drive sports and GT cars, prefer stick shifting with clutch (my carpal tunnel makes paddle shifting irritating) and usually run against AI in the 90% - 100% range.

It'd be great if the replacement would work with my Clubsport v2 pedals and my Clubsport Shifter.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

Sounds like a Fanatec CSL Elite.
    Ive owned a g27, a t150, a t300RS GT and now a CSL Elite. Hands down the best reasonably priced wheelbase on the market imho.
    Also compatibel with your pedals and shifter.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Try to get a used Fanatec CSW 2.5 or an Accuforce v2 with the CSP v2 connected via USB.

I have the CSW 2.5 and owned the CSL Elite PS4 kit beforehand and i can just recommend the CSW 2.5 SO MUCH over the CSL. The CSL might have good output of FFB, but it can run into issues at such a major scale, that it can become frustrating (you can be lucky, but if not, it's a sh** show. Had 4 RMAs with this goddamn thing, decentering issues, clunky center FFB response, loose pin connector in the wheelshaft etc. ....so just mentioning, maybe not the usual deal, though)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I went from a CSR to a CSL Elite and I’m very happy. Definitely a good upgrade.

• Like Like x 1
  5. White Oak Racing

Thanks for the advice.
    Am I correct in stating that I only will need a CSL Wheel base and a CSL wheel?
    I also understand that my Clubsport pedals and shifter will work with those two items.

6. CrimsonEminence

I still would recommend you to look out for an used CSW 2.5 with round rim in terms of reliability, but a CSL will also support clubsport pedals/CSR and CSP, when you have the RJ12 plug on it. Same for the Shifter, handbrakes etc.

7. White Oak Racing

OK - for the CSW 2.5 I need to look for the Club Sport Wheel Base 2.5 and a wheel that is compatible with it.
    Why do you specify a round rim - are they more durable?
    I see a Club Sport Steering Wheel Formula Carbon and a Club Sport Steering Wheel BMX GT2 - are both of them compatible with the 2.5 wheel base?
    Sorry for my ignorance but I find the Fanatec website somewhat confusing especially since the last time I bought a steering wheel was in 2012!

8. CrimsonEminence

Decide by yourself, what you buy. You can use the Fanatec wheelbases with all Clubsport rims. A round rim, because it's more flexible as single owned one. I don't think, you want to race old cars with a 27" Formula Carbon? :D

9. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

Yeah wheelrim choice will depend on what type of cars you race most imo.
    The wheelrims biggest difference imo are the diameters. Bigger wheels are “slower” favoring slower cars (in general) while smaller wheels are “faster” and favor faster more modern cars. (Again in general).

That said, Im more comfortable running my (Fanatec McLaren) GT3 wheel for slower cars than vice versa but you wouldnt notice the difference if you didnt know any better.
    But in the end youll probably end up with a bunch of wheels of youre anything like the avarage simracer ;)

And yes, the Fanatec website is a huge confusing turd.