AMS1 working in VR

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by mr_belowski, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Des Pearce

Des Pearce New Member

Still can't get this to work.
    I've extracted the folder to steamapps/common/automobilista
    Enablesteam... is set to 1
    Config is windowed and wide UI
    I start steam vr, start AMS and it warns me it won't work in vr
    Once in game it only works on the monitor with sound through the HMD (Reverb G2)
    Any suggestions?

2. Bjarne Hansen

Bjarne Hansen Member AMS2 Club Member

The warning from steam are normal and doesn't matter.
    Run ams once to get crewchiefVR.ini generated
    then stop ams again.
    Edit crewchief.ini so you got enableSteamVRRendering = 1
    And it should all work.
    You might well have done that already.

3. Retrolux

Retrolux Member AMS2 Club Member

Just have updated my AMS preset with the reshade version that supports VR. The special VR preset uses only the LUT and shaprening for more clarity in VR to not be that demanding on the GPU/CPU.
    Retrolux Reshade Automobilista

Really amazing what sharpening in VR can bring to the table. I bet this will be added soon as a global sharpning slider option in SteamVR and other VR implementations.

• Like Like x 2
  4. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member

Not sure about getting this to work with WMR (I have an Index) but I'm pretty sure some users have been able to make it work. Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions :(.

I've updated the download, it now includes the FoV change that I forgot to release. By default, the plugin will get the FoV from the headset and override the game's FoV with this value. It doesn't change the way the rendered image will look (it's already correct) but it does affect the culling of objects at the far sides of the image. For low FoV headsets like Rift and Vive, this change won't make any difference (the game's own FoV value can be set high enough to avoid culling). For medium FoV headsets like the Index this will make a small difference - the occasional popping in and out of objects in your peripheral vision should be fixed. For wide FoV headsets like Pimax, this should make a more noticable difference.

The downside of this is that it *may* impact the performance - the engine will be doing less object culling so will be rendering slightly more stuff. If you find that the improvements aren't worth the performance impact then you can disable this behaviour by setting

useHMDFoV = 0

in the CrewChiefVR.ini file in the plugin and restarting the game. On my system (Valve Index, mid-to-high spec PC) the minimal frame rate impact is definitely worth it

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Bjarne Hansen

Assuming you have got crewchief.ini sorted.?
    Put on the headset
    Go to WMR home / Cliff house
    Start AMS from there ether directly or from the steam menu.
    that will start SteamVR and all should work fine.

6. sunnysunday

sunnysunday Member

Is there a way to change anti aliasing settings in vr? In setup config tool I have to max but there is a ton of aliasing still. Cranking up steam vr resolution does help but still not perfect.

Edit. Not sure why but next time I booted it seems AA is working properly. Maybe because I recently reinstalled windows and forgot to update nvidia drivers

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  7. jpmmuc

jpmmuc Active Member AMS2 Club Member

So this VR implementation is a real reason to go back to Automobilista.
    This MOD is really good, the picture is good and all seems to function properly. I had a lot of fun in the test day and a AI race. The performance is really heavily impacted by AI on the CPU.
    The VR override changes the FoV with my Index to 100, not tried a manual lower value.

Unfortunately I have the CTD with Automobilista in 2D, so I'm not able to start a race and in the support thread is no further feedback to this problem. Nevertheless with the VR MOD I can start a race but going back to menu is CTD. So no real playing possible.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  8. Alex Senna

Alex Senna New Member

Hi guys

I'm new around here. First of all sorry for my bad English but I am Spanish and I use a translator :)) Well last night I found this and tried to test it because I am a total fan of ams 1, I just gave it up and went to AMS 2 for not having VR , for which I am immensely grateful to whoever took the time to create this.

But I still haven't gotten it to work, I've followed all the "README" steps and I can see the game in my VR glasses (oculus quest 2), so far so good. But when I choose a vehicle mode and for example "Test day", when I go to the next screen ... where you can configure everything related to the test day, I can't go beyond there. The mouse arrow moves all over the screen, but I can't click anywhere. I hear the sound it makes when moving the mouse arrow from one section to another, and the music of the game, which tells me that the game is not locked, but I cannot click on any section. Don't even go back. I have to close directly from the windows desktop. I would very much like to be able to try this out and feel like I'm close, but I haven't been able to get him yet so I would really appreciate any help you can offer.

Thank you very much in advance and greetings to all.
    Alex.

EDIT: After writing my initial post I have continued testing and I have verified that AMS1 without the installation of the VR files opens well, loads the track and everything is normal. But once I unzip the VR files in the root and open the game (without running VR yet), the game opens, but when the track is finished loading, it closes automatically. I don't know if the two problems presented have something to do with it or are two different things. Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  9. keith windsor

keith windsor Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You're nearly there, I had the same problem.

What resolution are you running in?
    Lower the resolution to something like 1280x1024 and try again. On higher resolutions, some of the option buttons are off screen, and the mouse is not clicking the buttons in the correct place.

Lowering the resolution should fix it, but does not affect the game resolution.

10. Alex Senna

Alex Senna New Member

Hi Keith
    Thank you very much for your answer. I have tried all the available resolutions one by one. And nothing changes, the problem is the same in all of them. The mouse moves but does not click :(I have read the 19 pages of the forum trying to find the solution and I would say that I have tried everything there has been and to have. For some reason I don't think I will be able to prove it, and I think I will have to throw in the towel.

Greetings

11. Bjarne Hansen

Make sure the ams1 window on the screen are the window in focus!
    Sound to me you might have brought another app/ program in focus as what is happening to you sounds like another app got the focus.

You need to uncheck the "confirm exit" on the AMS menu!

12. jpmmuc

jpmmuc Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for your ideas but that is not my problem.
    After further testing the root cause of the CTD is a bug where Fanatec and Thrustmaster devices could not be used in parallel.
    I'm using a MFD Cougar button box (without additional drivers) since many years and it seems that one update from AMS introduced this bug. So after disconnection of the button box AMS incl. the VR mod is running as it should.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Des Pearce

Des Pearce New Member

I've got it working, realised my mistake after watching Niels video.

Now to work out how to remap recentre vr to another button.......

14. Bjarne Hansen

I use JoyToKey to map the recenter to the steering wheel

15. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Member

do you have a link?

16. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles New Member

Crew Chief will do it
    upload_2021-5-10_19-45-18.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles New Member

• Like Like x 1
  18. M.Guenette

M.Guenette Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey Guys ,

Is there any planned further development with the VR mod , or is it considered final ?

BTW , I'm absolutely loving AMS in VR and haven't played in 2D ever since !

19. Sparten

Sparten New Member

When winter comes I might pick it up again and see if i can do a bit of optimization but i promise nothing.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Tambe

Tambe Member

It would be great to be able to use it, as the way it works now is impossible for us. It keeps freezing when we give ESC