1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camera Settings that are not shaking and fixed to horizon

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by DaReaLDeviL, Apr 18, 2021.

1. DaReaLDeviL

DaReaLDeviL www.RacePlace.de

Hello fellow racers,

after the 1.1.3.5 update I can finaly feal something from my ffb and try to enjoy AMS2 again. But there is one big drawback, I'm coming from ACC and I love to have a fixed copit view and a looked horizon that the up and down movement is realy smoothed out.

In AMS2 I can look the cockpit or I can look it at the horizon bot not both at once. Or do I have to configure anything else? I don't get it to work.

Best example is to pick bathurst as the track and the formula ultimate from the cars... this is shaking me to insanity.

Please help me to get things working.

Regards in advanced!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

How exactly are you supposed to have a fixed cockpit and a fixed horizon at the same time? What happens when you ride a kerb and the car is at a 10 degree angle to the horizon?

In AMS2, fixing the camera to the car causes awful shaking of the horizon in faster cars and bumpier tracks. The solution is to not use legacy mode with head movement 0.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DaReaLDeviL

Thank you for the replay... I think I expressed me wrong... the cockpit is fixed and the horizon is "fixed" in a very smooth way and it is called "lock to horizon" and "Movement" - I just have a random picture of it but I run it at LTH @ 80 and Movement @ 100. So there is no bounciness, just a little and smooth up and down of the camera and a fixed cockpit. [​IMG]

4. azaris

As soon as you fix the camera to the cockpit (no movement allowed), you cannot constrain the motion of anything else. The camera shakes exactly as much as the car does, unless the cockpit is completely detached from the actual movement of the car in the simulator (not great). So ACC does something funny here if it is allowing you to fix the cockpit and simultaneously stabilise the horizon.

My suggestion would be to allow small amounts of cockpit movement (start with head movement 70 and work from there), and use legacy ON/OFF depending on your preference. The difference is mainly in how the lock to horizon/horizon stabilisation works, some people prefer ON because the motion looks more natural while others get motion sickness unless they use OFF.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. DaReaLDeviL

Thank you for your help. I will test it in the evening and report back if I get something usefull out of AMS2. But this "funny" stuff what ACC does is realy enjoyable to drive. The shaking at the moment what AMS2 gives me... is at the moment to hard for my stomach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Alwin Papegaaij

Alwin Papegaaij Active Member

The interesting thing is that this is where it gets really personal.
    At ACC, I feel really detached from the car, and hate that I can't get my head tracking to work when in helmet cam (did they fix this already)
    In AMS2, I feel connected to the car because I feel and see what it is doing.

Yes, maybe sometimes it might be exaggerated, but I like it better than the other games until now.

Everyone has his/her own preference in this. Same with ffb.

7. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I guess something is missing in this rather binary contradiction between camera fixed on cockpit or horizon.
    In RL there is a LOT smoothing out of the "camera"(eyes) fixation to the cockpit.
    Both the neck, head, eyes, upper body does its best to smooth the "camera" out.

ByTheWay: Thats the reason the RL sight often feels like it is both fixed to the cockpit and horizon at the same time.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

“Lock to horizon” has been a gamechanger for me in ACC VR.
    Pretty much unplayable without it.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. DaReaLDeviL

Thanks for the replies. Already curious to try things out today.

10. DaReaLDeviL

Hmm after testing yesterday... it is hard to get it the way I'm used with ACC. Hope Reiza will find something in between or just copy the function.

Fixed horizon with wobbling car is better for me then the fixed car... but that is not the solution. This drives me crazy :-(. To hard up and down the whole time.

11. azaris

You get used to it. Start with the smoother tracks and GT3 cars, work your way towards the bumpier stuff on classic Formulas.

12. Kevin del Campo

Yeah I havent really noticed it being really bad in AMS2 like I thought it was in RF2 for example.
    Ill check my settings later and post them here if I see anything special.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kevin del Campo

Yeah I havent really noticed it being really bad in AMS2 like I thought it was in RF2 for example.
    Ill check my settings later and post them here if I see anything special.

14. azaris

Well it used to be worse because they had a bunch of sinusoidal noise on their track models, which didn't cause a problem with AMS1 but really didn't transfer well to the Madness Engine. Much of that noise has been toned down, leading to reduced bumpiness.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DaReaLDeviL

Thank you, that whould realy help. Glad that others are seeing this also.

16. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Try legacy on, 70 head movement and see how it works for you. Try it at Brands

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Yeah mine is very close to Peters :D: Legacy OFF + 99 head mov

18. DaReaLDeviL

Legacy with 70 is hard with the formula open wheeler... gt3 is ok but not spot on. Thx for your suggestion. Hope reiza will bring some updates to the view settings.

19. Kevin del Campo

I think you might have misunderstood my post mate.
    For me the shaking was a lot worse in RF2.
    Im basing this mostly on driving the McLaren MP4/16 which I remember was particularly rough in RF2 but is fairly smooth in AMS2.

When I looked at my camera settings I noticed theyre different because I drive in VR so it might be different all together, but I took the Formula Ultimate out on Bathurst/Brands Hatch and didnt notice anything put of the oridinary.

20. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Strange that there is that much excessive head shaking. No matter what mode you choose. If you compare it with Pcars, same track and same car and settings, it is by far not that shaking in Pcars. :eek:
    Edit: I’ve set mine now to head movement 50 and legacy mode on.
    Works best for me. Compromise but it works,, :D

Last edited: May 22, 2021