1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External apps with AMS2 and VR

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by BistoKid, Apr 25, 2021.

1. BistoKid

BistoKid Active Member

I hope someone can help.

I recently got a Quest 2 (using link cable) coming from triples and I am really impressed. However, how can I run Crew Chief and Simhub at the same time. I tried running the apps prior to starting AMS2 as I did before (Simhub would typically start AMS2 exe) but I need Oculus app and SteamVR running in my limited understanding to launch the game.

I am somewhat confused now and would appreciate any assistance to run the correct sequence or specific commands. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  2. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You should be able to start both Crew Chief and SimHub after you have started AMS2. If you are running many apps that are using the telemetry from AMS2, then you may have to launch SimHub in UDP forwarding mode before you launch these other apps, but I don't think Crew Chief is affected by this problem. I am at least able to run both without having to think about launch order.

3. BistoKid

BistoKid Active Member

@Roar McRipHelmet thank you for the reply, I was starting to give up hope.

So you should start AMS2 first, I start by using steam is that correct? I should then start crew chief and Simhub and as you say should kick in then.

I have, as I did outside of VR, always started the two apps prior to AMS, hopefully your suggestion works. Do you start AMS2 differently to me please?

Many thanks!

4. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't have the Quest 2, so I can't say for certain. I have experience with both the Pimax 5K+ and the HP Reverb G2 – both are headsets that can be difficult to get to work because they need their own software to run before launching AMS2 and SteamVR. Quest 2 with link cable should in theory be simpler… from what I've heard/read.

In my own setup my launch order is like this:
    1. PiTool and Sim Racing Studio start automatically during PC launch.
    2. If I want to use my HP Reverb G2, I launch the Windows Mixed Reality portal
    3. If I use SimHub, I start this before starting AMS2, but I don't think this is a requirement. I think it's only a requirement if I were to run other telemetry-based apps that need SimHub's UDP forwarding in order to avoid a conflict.
    4. Then I start Steam. (Steam also starts Revive/OculusVR, although this is not relevant for me here.) If I was running any other SteamVR app before, I make sure that I exit SteamVR before launching AMS2 (otherwise, it will try to launch in Desktop mode)
    5. Then I launch AMS2 from the Steam library, and in the dialog I specify SteamVR mode.
    6. Crew Chief can be launched or exited at any time.
    Hopefully there are some Oculus Quest w/Link users out there who can help you more precisely with their setup.

5. BistoKid

BistoKid Active Member

Thanks so much, I will try out your launch sequence to see if it helps. So far Crew Chief looks like it is running but I do not hear anything even though the output is set to Quest. SimHub just waits for AMS2 data but does not launch and I just do not understand enough to problem solve.

Thanks again!

6. BistoKid

BistoKid Active Member

I feel really bloody stupid now!

I did the sequence to no avail so checked all my settings again...

System settings ie UDP settings were incorrect since I had updated my system and had a fresh install of AMS2.

Feel foolish but I’m so pleased it all works again!

• Like Like x 1