1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamepad Support - Analysis, Suggestions, Wishes

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by GTAce, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

Multiple Micro movement or going offtrack, poor trottle handling, Velocity sensibility issues, (or too much or not responding at all) and variation in sensibilty by car model. I cant use all the range of the LT, neither with steam adjustment panel. Mouse support is deficent too. (Lfs instead have the mouse support nailed)

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. micro-impact

micro-impact New Member

So any updates gamepad support wise ?
    I deinstalled AMS2 a while ago because of the bad gamepad support.
    Therefore I can´t test it by myself.

3. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, it's coming soon - see April Development Update

• Like Like x 1
  4. micro-impact

micro-impact New Member

Thanks for the fast reply.
    I guess will install AMS2 again and hope that the improvements will be significant.

5. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

It's not bad at all now. I don't use vibrations for sure but PC2 sensitivity issues are improved by steering lock in AMS. Much better than PC.

6. Beccobunsen

Check steam pad calibration too

7. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

On the other hand, I tried it again and... When I started with AMS2, my usual games were PC1 and PC2. AMS2 felt even better probably because of steering lock which improves sensitivity a bit.

Then I tried many other games just to see what other games offer. Today I tried Formula Vee in AMS2 and it wasn't good. I love it in rF2 and it's great in AMS1. But strange sensitivity kills it here. So you are probably right, we need better sensitivity setting and steering rates would be fine too.

I wanted to try it for long time. Maybe today finally.

8. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

What do you play until new gamepad patch arrives?

I recently started with rF2 and bought Reiza bundle. It's great because it's Reiza quality. Small problem is I don't want to go back to any other game :D I hope new gamepad support will be at least similar to ISIMotor games like AMS1 or rF2... with one exception! You can't normally use separate axis for gas and brake. But PC has it right since start.

9. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

Today I tried MCR S2000 and it was completely fine. Steering lock settings is a gamechanger and can help a lot with sensitivity. That's probably the reason I liked AMS2 so much after PC.

10. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, steering lock can make or break a car with a stick. Have you experimented with deadzone and sensitivity settings a bit more on a gamepad and would you say, they're reliably working as expected in AMS2?

11. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

I played PC1 and PC2 before AMS2 so I had a lot of testing there. AMS2 feels exactly like PC2 but steering lock improves sensitivity which is the biggest problem for me. I use linear sensitivity which is 50 because of problematic settings. You can't have less because ME starts to skip positions if you do it. If you need lower sensitivity there is no option below 50 which is the problem. But AMS2 can create almost good experience with lower steering lock.

My deadzone is as low as possible, it depends on a gamepad.

Still I mix it with AMS1 and rF2 and it's so good to play. It's probably because of lower sensitivity. But I am not sure what linearity I use in there, probably something below linear. Every game is a bit different and I am sure what I am doing in ME and AC/ACC. ISIMotor games are still too new to me.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. CrimsonEminence

Thanks for the impressions!

I have the impression, something is wonky with the deadzone behaviour, when using an X-Box 360 pad. As if even a little bit of deadzone setting adds a LOT of deadzone or cutting away response, hard to explain. (pCars2 and AMS2, played both with a pad to some extend, pCars1 with a buddy quite often, but it was different there, i think it was actually reasonable in adjustability)

13. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

I read it here already and I thought it could be because of low steering sensitivity settings. It starts to skip positions and with 0 sensitivity it could look like big deadzone (and insensitive steering - not low sensitive). I am not sure now but lowering below 50 is pretty bad and you will get strange feeling.

If 50 is too much you can go against it with speed sensitivity. Casual settings are big steering sensitivity with high speed sensitivity. It works against each other but I don't like that settings because you sensitivity changes a lot. As a start with a gamepad, it's OK. But maybe you could like it, who knows.

• Like Like x 1
  14. CrimsonEminence

I'm actually on a wheel 99% of my playing time, but looking out for some impressions here from users with more GamePad experience. The gamepad support is also one of the things, announced to be improved for AMS2, so good to have some info by people, that actually use it more often, because i also experienced some "strange" things with pCars2 and AMS2, but not having nearly as much hours into it, to have a good educated guess on it. More impressions might give a hint, what is going on and reveal some focus on some elements, who knows. :) I want to give it another shot soon for testing.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  15. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

Sure, no problem. I like researching stuff. I played on a wheel for many years but nothing serious and currently I want to build my gamepad skill. Came from console world, where is Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport, Forza Horizon, PC1, PC2, AC, ACC, Grid, F1 and DR2. This year I moved to more serious stuff and I am mostly on PC for racing. So I tried recently R3E, rF1, rF2, AMS1, AMS2, Race 07 and BeamNG.drive. You can ask about anything :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. ATSS

ATSS Member

Is the May update with the controllet patch, coming this week?

17. Split Second

Split Second Active Member

I have asked it in another thread. But can anyone tell me when you use the xbox one pad on pc. If the rumble works like in Project Cars 2? Because to me, it was of immense help to feel the grip levels. When my batteries were very low and the rumble was put off I could barely drive.

18. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I've tested with an XBox 360 USB controller (recognized as "XBox One Controller" in the game) and Controller Vibration works by default, similar to how it worked in Project Cars 2.

19. Beccobunsen

the vibration in this moment is useless...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Split Second

Split Second Active Member

Thank you. That is great to hear.