1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 April 2021 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, May 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

This doesn´t really make sense, not least as the damping function is zeroed by default so effectively the same as it was before. Now it may be that FFB took a turn for the worse for your preferences or your wheel around that time, but in the case of the damper function that would seem like correlation rather than causation.

For the record, I have 3 rigs set up here, one with a G25, another a TGT and the Podium DD1 and the FFB has never been better accross the board. Mileage may and does vary depending on personal preferences and custom profiles are out there for those looking for different things, but either way there has not been a huge change in FFB in recent months, only minor adjustments.

Happy to help you investigate this further - I understand it can be frustrating, but you´re not gonna solve the problem by assuming it is some widespread issue when it isn´t.

There is no recent direct poll that I know of, but devs can usually interpolate it by the average of active players vs multiplayer activity. Consensus a few years ago is that there was roughly a 80% / 20% split in favour or users who were primarily singler players vs active online racers. The trend since however has seen a shift in the other direction, and I´d guess we are close to a 50% / 50% split these days.

It´s worth considering that while the sim racing community is fairly niche, it´s also not so small that it can be fully represented by some prolific forum posters and sim racing youtubers who do tend to focus more on the Multiplayer side of things. A lot of people just like to chill after a long day with some practice laps or a short race against the AI in their sim of choice, and enjoy sim racing for the experience and immersion more than they do for its competitive side - a lot of those enjoy AMS2 for that reason, and many of our users tend to just stick with running AMS2 Beta because they don´t care about multiplayer.

We would like to do a good job for all of types of users - no reason to limit your reach when the thick of the hard work is already done - but one should avoid the common mistake of assuming their personal taste is everyone´s. People like different things for different reasons, and we should all try respect that.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 24
    • Agree Agree x 16
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

The new lighting for the DLC rF2 tracks is way better than what many outdated mods show. LeMans, Nordschleife, Portland (even free content) and Spa look far superior to other tracks, when it comes to trees at least.

The track team of AMS2 is just doing good art to their tracks, why they look IMO even better than pCars2 by far. The Madness also contributes by extremely pleasing lighting etc.

• Like Like x 2
  3. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

I find the trees in ACC to be horrible, and quite off-putting. Or rather, I really hate the way the textures appear to change as you get near to them. It appears to be an insurmountable issue with the Unreal engine. No amount of tinkering with shadows, textures, LODs, AA etc seemed to change this in any meaningful way for me. It actually put me off playing the game eventually, cause it's one of those things that, once you've noticed it, you can't stop noticing it...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. mrwolf425

mrwolf425 Member

For now AMS2 is growing into me, a lot. Apart from the simulation side, I wish those 3 things could be fixed in the future, and it will be my ultimate racing Sim/Game. The rain drops on the windshield / water effect around and behind the wheels and the back flames must be enhanced to look at least like AC (thanks to Elija), and finally the chase camera (I know it is a SIM and this should not be mentioned) but it must be implemented correctly, even in PC3, they enhanced the chase camera. So when the car accelerate the cam should stay away from the car, trying the chase or catch the back of the car, and when the car decelerate/braking it is Vice Versa. And all of this with the changing of the FOV to make the feel of speed. Finger crossed, SURE.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. mrwolf425

mrwolf425 Member

Exactly. I think Kunos don't have the expertise to handle the Unreal Engine. In my opinion the UE is more than capable of delivering the necessary functions/features/tools/graphics... for ACC. I saw many games prettier than ACC and not very power processing demanding, and run smoothly on a mid-range PC. ACC is very bad optimized. If I were in Kuno's situation I would never leave the original AC engine, look what Elija did to it with combination with "s.o.l". Imagine what can a developer like Kunos can do with it, or maybe a 2.0 version? I think, for me AMS2 in near future will not only replace PC2, but also AC with its huge library of mods.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. mrwolf425

mrwolf425 Member

7. morpwr

morpwr Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Ultimate here. But no issues like you mentioned.

8. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

Oh sh*t. I’ve just realised @SHR Modding is (presumably?!) on sound duty.

If the RSR sounds as good as the AC versions... :eek::eek:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

He also made the GT1 McLaren and Porsche GT3-R, for example.^^

• Like Like x 5
  10. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

Yes, and they sound awesome of course. It’s just that his 2017 RSR version is perhaps the most notoriously gnarly sound mod in all of AC. So this bodes extremely well :D

• Like Like x 3
  11. Cheesenium

Cheesenium Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It is because I am sick and tired of genres moving exclusively MP for the last decade or so. I used to love FPS such as Battlefield or RTS such as Sup Com, FPS had turned into pretty much a MP-only genre outside single-player focused games. RTS on the other hand, it is largely a dead genre because of the insane push and obsession for RTS to be esports which neglected single player components that lead to the down fall of the genre. See games like DoW3 that is designed for esports and MP with an abysmal campaign which is as dead as a dodo now. Other RTS in the market are not doing very well too and most major publishers avoid this genre now.

Racing games are going through the same thing, with the non stop MP complaints or pushing in every game I play now. If not, it is the non stop esport push which felt really forced, like how Forza used to force players to watch ForzaRC for in game content. Then, in the meantime, single player side of things are getting neglected such as how long rF2 took to fix the AMG GT3 AI that drives like a drunk person or how slow is ACC with the AI that is horrible at launch. Thankfully, iRacing and Reiza have been investing in AI which is a good sign.

Honestly, I am very sick and tired of genres becoming unplayable once the population dies off which a lot of my favorite FPS is no longer enjoyable these days. Or every thread is filled with MP, MP and MP. I hate to see this genre becoming like how unappealing is RTS is now, the signs are on the wall now for this genre.

I have no issue with MP but I have to say something if not developers will think that players only care about MP. I absolutely do not want to see this genre becoming MP only or GT3 simulator.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Cheesenium

Cheesenium Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It is due to texture streaming: Texture Streaming

Not sure if Kunos can do much about it.

Wont say who but it is a lead developer in one of the racing games studio, the UE engine is not that suitable for racing games due to high overheads for the graphics engine. You have fewer resources to work with for physics than custom engines that other studios use.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There needs to be an option to remove the chase camera from the onboard cameras group, and the all cameras group. It pops the bubble of realistic in car and trackside replays.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Spie

Spie Member AMS2 Club Member

So does these mean some improvements to the dedi server for multiplayer is on the priority list?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  15. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

Track team deserves some serious credit for the understated beauty at many tracks. There are landscapes that look breathtaking. Kyalami when you turn back towards the pit area going downhill when you can see far away. Historic Interlagos just knocks me on my arse every time with the billboards, water elements and city around the track area. It's like stepping into a museum. Perhaps a billboard museum :D.

[​IMG]

Then the subtle low contrast color grading of far away trees and mountains at Spielberg doesn't seem like something you just get automatically. It was also like that in AMS1 (but now better with Madness and the art pass Spielberg got). That takes an artist's eye and attention to detail. It's not so much about graphics eye candy as it is realising that you're racing in all kinds of environments with great depth. Often next to nature and its built-in eye candy. And they do an excellent job at that.

So yes. I'm ready for what might be the best rendition of Laguna Seca and Long Beach. I've raced the former in so many sims. The latter mainly in Project Cars 2 - I call it Long Beach simulator now - and then some in Forza Motorsport 7.

• Agree Agree x 16
    • Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
  16. moneypizzle

moneypizzle Member

I don't think you can compare FPS and RTS with racing games. Those are highly individualistic while racing depends on trusting each other to some degree. And there is endurance team racing too.
    AI will naturally get better and better because that technology is evolving like crazy. Single player will always be there cuz it's just you, the car and the track. So I don't really follow this train of thought.
    Not sure how I feel about story modes in a simulator. The only way I see it fitting is when it focusses on education about all the ins and outs of racing.

• Like Like x 3
  17. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

This would be great, to have AC type rain effects!
    The aliasing is pretty terrible now though
    Hopefully he can also help find and remove all the oops and cracks.
    I think AMS2 even with its flat rotating trees look the best of all Sims.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Biggest kudo, they do not strike at all!

19. Apex

Apex Active Member

Gamepad and mouse+keyboard users would benefit from globally adjustable driver assists settings for cars that don't have assists. Even set to High the current TCS won't help the player driving in the wets because of excessive wheelspin.

That would make the game, and in particular its weather features, more accessible to the more casual crowd, players with handicaps/conditions that prevent them from using a FFB wheel and/or players who simply prefer to play the game that way.

20. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It is natural that people, in general, enjoy more measuring their skills vs other humans than vs any AI, that's why MP is so popular.

For example, nowadays anyone has Magnus Carlsen level chess AI available on their phones, but is it really more fun to play vs that AI or vs the real deal?

Car racing is not different. Even if Renato builds Deep Blue AI for AMS2 I highly doubt the popularity of league racing would decrease. In general, people want to race vs other people.

• Disagree Disagree x 12
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.