1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow--AI much improved in 1.1.3.5!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by stlutz, Apr 6, 2021.

1. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

I did a sprint car race there today that also went very well.

• Like Like x 1
  2. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

Have tried a GT3 race at Bathurt with the 1.1.4.5 release and the racing was much better--AI were braking at logical points and their straightaway speeds were comparable to mine as well. Big improvement for this car/track combination at least!

• Like Like x 1
  3. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

4. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Behaviour car to car is okay, but pace is still way off. At 110 strength they drive 2:07 times in practice, which is 4-6s off times, that GT3 are capable of for sure on this track, even with suboptimal temps (even more time when it comes to very fast drivers). This discrepancy is unfortunately still universally for all classes a track related thing. But good to read, it's doing fine in racecraft at least.^^

• Like Like x 1
  5. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

It sounds like you're saying I'm slow. :D;):)

6. CrimsonEminence

:D Dunno', what are your avg. laptimes on a moderately filled tank (50L or so) and softs?.^^

• Like Like x 1
  7. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

Okay--last night was Batuhurt. Tonight was F309 at Hockenheim. Still have over-aggression + rage turbo issues with these cars.

Tried two races, both end in the same scenario. I get behind a couple of cars who are holding me up, but after 2 or 3 laps of trying I get by. They then get extremely motivated to get back by me. Both races ended when they go on the grass to get inside me at Sachs and spin me out. That's not even a passing zone in open-wheel cars.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Jeff Scharpf

Jeff Scharpf Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I seem to have coincidentally ended up at AI 100% strength and 100% aggression.. I'm only driving the GT3 championship right now but it really seems to be the sweet spot for me. I wonder if it is better or worse when you drive full length races. I only do 100% length races with all tire wear and fuel usage at normal. Things seem to work out. If I have a good race, I can compete for the win..
    One stupid mistake, and I end up losing lots of places.. AI seems to be just about right.. pushing me in certain situations.. getting up on my rear.. pushing a nose in.. and it really depends on how I react to this... if I hold my line I'm fine.. sometimes I can "shake" them over and they back off.. other times if I try to push into their line.. we bump :)...
    Overall I'm very happy with the AI because there is also enough variation, even at 100%, there are 1 or 2 slower cars which helps me if I'm having a bad day lol..

• Like Like x 1
  9. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

GT3 really seems to be a sweet spot for AI right now. I did some racing at Kyalami tonight. GT3 was very good (at least with me in the McLaren). Tried the Pro Car (which is a blast to drive), but they were going 3/4 throttle down the main straight. Tried to fix this by upping the AI skill level about 12 points--that helped on that straight but then I was totally in the way on the rest of the track.

10. Eetu Peltomäki

Eetu Peltomäki New Member

Yes, AI is very good, it really races you and doesn't give position too easily. Also it takes any advantage without hesitation to overtake you. Miles ahead Kunos on this part.

One thing i have issues still is AI inconcistency throughout the race weekend. I feel like it's too easy to take pole position compared to the race pace of AI drivers. Does anyone know what setup the AI uses? Is it same as my by default? This knowledge would be very helpful so that I can match my setup with the AI.

Another issue is the speed of AI on a drying track. I have raced on multiple tracks and this seems to occur regardless of track/car. If I start the race wet and the track starts to dry, the AI does pit as they should for slicks, but they are way too slow. For example last race in Bathurst my fastest lap was four seconds faster than anyone elses. The weather effects and transitions are amazing in this game but it is slightly dissappointing that the AI struggles to race properly when you choose mixed weather. Especially on a drying track the AI drives like my dad going for groceries. And he's dead.

I guess the AI isn't modelled with full tyre physics and the correct pace needs to coded separately? This is probably also the reason for why AI seems to way too good tyre management and can drive almost endlessly without having to pit for a fresh pair of slicks.

11. CrimsonEminence

This is also my impression and was partially even also showing in Qualy times being slower than race and practice here. It will need another look into how AI is behaving with their session multipliers in relation to higher strength settings, for example, it seems. AI does already set its cars up after going over 80% strength, i think, but i'm not 100% sure, don't take this as gospel!

You have a point here indeed. AI "Tire degradation" and laptime fall-off is still work in progress, you could say, but it has improved. You can't go full push for a full race in AMS2, without paying the price though, that's also a result of actually some features, the tires have. In Qualy i also outrun them often way too easy in comparison to the race, though.

12. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Last time I drove AMS2 was months ago (literally), picked it up again this week and yeah the AI has improved a lot. They fell much more racey now, there's more battles going on through the field than the "train" like effect which was so prevalent since release. I'm also able to have proper side-by-side door banging battles through the turns where they actually make a deal of it, before they were far too easy to get past in those situations.

Still room for improvement though and I'll list a few key areas for me;
    - No Block/Defending, makes passing too easy.
    - No "natural" mistakes, I like to see AI lock brakes, spin off etc
    - Many tracks still suffer from AI being too quick (like they're on rails) or slow in some turns which ruins the whole lap of racing for me.
    - They still make sudden physic defying swerves to get back on the racing line
    - They still have super brakes in certain situations when alongside them

There are other areas but for me those key points would make the AI much much better :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

Yesterday I tried after long time few races in AMS1 and it was great. Is AI still better in 1 or I was just lucky? Don't have much time for playing but in AMS2 there were usually sudden moves of cars to sides ended with ramming me out.

14. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The last two AI races I tried in AMS1 resulted in AI cars riding over sausage kerbs and spinning every lap in the same corner and causing total chaos, and this was in Reiza standard tracks. That will be a big "nope" from me. Never seen anything that bad in AMS2.

• Like Like x 1
  15. CrimsonEminence

Then you have probably never raced Superkarts at Interlagos in AMS2. :D

Descida do Lago kills AI regularly in AMS2. There is still a lot of room for improvement. Saw rolling over AI very often there (okay, granted, i also test them very often)

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have pretty assumed the Superkarts are irreparably and terminally broken and will never get fixed, so that doesn't bother me too much.

17. CrimsonEminence

Nothing is terminally and irreparably broken. :D

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Periophtalmus Spintirus

Periophtalmus Spintirus [3DP]BumbleBee AMS2 Club Member

Well, AMS2 AI has improved massively since first Beta *lol*
    But still prefer AMS1 AI by far. But also lasted more than two years of developement, to refine the artificial driving skills to that final stage.
    So let's give REIZA one more year and compare then.... :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Class specific AI ftw. Plus there’s no reason to assume Reiza will stop with AI improvements until its as good, if not better than, AMS1.

• Like Like x 1
  20. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Had a race at Daytona these days.
    I was driving the new Cadillac DPi.
    The AI was slow in training and quali (I used 98% / 100% aggression), but in race, we were at the same level. OK, it seems that AI is still not effected by fuel weight?
    But, I had a wonderful wheel to wheel fight with another DPi, from leaving oval (entering infield at turn 1) till re-enter oval (turn 6). All the way, side-by-side :). Really cool and amazing :D
    AI is great now, many steps forward to humans!