1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Man, the Caterhams in this game are a lot of fun!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Apex, May 3, 2021.

1. Apex

Apex Active Member

I'm really digging the entry-level low HP versions, and they look the part too - part Mad Max, part Toad of Toad Hall.

Getting back to basics with some virtual club racing these days, I find they are very fun to drive on smaller tracks.

Oddly though, in the Academy I'm on par with the AI set to 99/66 and I've even won a few races, but I'm really struggling just keeping the Supersport on the track. Still a lot of fun.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Apex

Apex Active Member

Right, I've had quite a few laps in all of them now against the AI, and these are my impressions:

Academy
    Very pleasant to drive, a bit slow off the grid compared to the AI but faster once you get going.

Supersport
    Very difficult to handle with a loads of wheelspin and a strange wobbly oversteer that I've failed to dial out as of yet.

Superlight
    More power, but a lot easier to handle than the Supersport, still a bit sensitive on the throttle and less acceleration than the AI but slightly more top speed.

620R
    Way too much power for my liking for that sort of car. Not at all suited for club racing on smaller tracks.

For casual club racing, the Academy is easily my favourite of them.

Tracks used: Cadwell Park, Oulton Park and Brands Hatch.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

I love taking the Superlight around the Nordschliefe, it’s got a lovely balance of power and agility. The 620R is a bit too much of a maniac for my skill level, I spend more time fighting it than my opponents. That said, I pinched a setup I found from someone over at Steel’s Discord for Ibarra and after a couple of gentle tweaks for my clumsy hands it was a huge amount of fun on a test day.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

Been having some fun mix class on the British tracks races in the Caterham. I thought they were all the same but I think I settled on the SuperSport.

Bit different from what I normally drive but super fun once you get the hang of it...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Tracks that are fun with the Caterham Academy no matter the condition or race mode:
    • Brands Hatch (both layouts)
    • Curvelo Short
    • Nürburgring Nordschleife
    • Santa Cruz
    • Velo Cittá Track Day
    • Velopark 2017
    • VIR North

...and fun in situations such as rain or fairly matched racing:
    • Azure
    • Cadwell Park
    • Donington (both layouts)
    • Imola
    • Interlagos
    • Kansai West
    • Londrina Long
    • Oulton Park International
    • Snetterton 300

I haven't tested the other Caterhams that much, as I prefer the more understeery "balance the throttle to stabilize the car" characteristic of the Academy.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Kevin del Campo

Nurburgring 24 layout was interesting as well in the SuperSport.
    Not in a perfect "track/car combo" but more in a "Turistenfahrten" kind of way.
    Only 3secs away from 1st place (who is on a gamepad nonetheless) in TT, which Ill now obviously have to improve on.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

That’s why I like it, pretty much a drive in the country ..... but able to rag the nuts (and bolts) off it without worrying about on-coming traffic, cyclists and hedgehogs:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Kevin del Campo

I never knew simracing could be so relaxing.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Apex

Apex Active Member

Ha! The Academy is probably one of the only cars I'd be able to drive a full lap on Azure without breaking stuff.

Funny thing, the few times I've made P1 during a race, the drive bots seem really determined to take their positions back, and I have this horde of angry Caterhams in my mirrors. Quite stressful really.

:D