1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3D Optimization for Automobilista

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by M D Gourley, Sep 25, 2016.

1. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hello Reiza, everyone,
    Is Automobilista optimized yet for 3D in Steam using TriDef 3D software??
    I have a Triple Screen set up using the TriDef 3D software which I have had for the past 8 years Sim Racing. It used to work on Game Stock Car 2011 really well when I had it installed many moons ago...lol, but after GSC2012 TriDef did not work but I had Race07, GTR2, iRacing to carry on with.
    I had a TriDef update and thought I would try Automobilista Beta...and what do you know it works...well...sort of...it is very choppy with fluctuating frame rate ranging from 45 to 60 fps ( not much I know) depending on how many cars are in front and what part of the track you are at....however, it runs smoothly at 45 to 60 fps playing Race07 and iRacing...so based on that I am not sure it's my graphics card, a GTX690

2. OldDarth

OldDarth Member AMS2 Club Member

I have a GTX970 and can run AMS in 3D with a full grid at around 120fps. At race start its down in the 80/90 range but once the cars start to spread out, it settles down nicely.

I'm also running Windows 10 Anniversary. BTW a recent update of Tridef - 7.1 - just became available on the 22nd.

I suspect your video card is a little too underpowered to run 3D satisfactorily for more current racers like rFActor2, Project Cars, AC, & ... AMS.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  3. M D Gourley

Thanks for taking the time to reply....and yes I think you are right about my Graphics card....maybe time for an upgrade.

• Like Like x 1
  4. M D Gourley

Found this interesting article on PC Gamer.....

Will Your CPU Bottleneck that Video Card?

In short, depending on the game, if the CPU's load is consistently very high already, the CPU will very likely hold back the performance of video card upgrades. By profiling the CPU and GPU load of games you normally play, you can make better decisions for your upgrade path. Based on the results from this test:

* If the CPU load is maxed out at 100 percent across the board, the CPU needs to be upgraded first.
    * If the CPU load is hovering between 70 percent and 100 percent, a video card upgrade will still offer an improvement, but the upgrade path is limited. Unless you plan on upgrading the CPU in the near future, avoid high-end video cards.
    * If the CPU load is below 70 percent most of the time, any video card upgrade will likely not be bottlenecked

Above information and an interesting read can be found at this website from PC Gamer
    Will Your CPU Bottleneck Your Graphics Card? | PC Gamer

5. M D Gourley

...So I downloaded 'MSI AFTERBURNER' to see exactly what my CPU and GPU were doing, and it seems in Automobilista my GPU is always fluctuating at around 48% - 75% on both GPU's (GTX690) depending on what track and how many cars etc in both 2D and 3D TriDef (5760x1080) and the CPU is only around 15% - 20% area. On the SSD the game play was noticeably smoother....then swapped it out and went back to my old mechanical HD and it had slightly choppier game play, even with the same GPU and CPU percentages...hmmm.
    Although I also tried rFACTOR2 and in 2D and 3D on my mechanical HD and the GPU was 98% on both GPU's all the time and the CPU was around 30% - 35%...and un playable in 3D but fairly smooth in 2D (5760x1080) with those figures...what's up with that

6. Robert Bachmayer

Robert Bachmayer Member AMS2 Club Member

Were these cloned drives? Anything less leaves room for ambiguity?
    From my understanding games are loaded into ram, ssd provides faster load times, once loaded there are no real differences between ssd and hdd. My personal results seem to prove this.

7. M D Gourley

Thank for showing some interest....Oh, yes the old mechanical HD was a cloned drive from a previous smaller mechanical HD...but the SSD was a fresh install of Win 10 and only had Steam and AMS as the main programmes on it....
    Does that make a difference about using a cloned drive in relation to performance?:)